Author Topic: 204 sticky extractor and general reloading info  (Read 589 times)

Offline luv2shoot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
204 sticky extractor and general reloading info
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »
New to Handis and this forum.  I picked up a synthetic 223 and a bull barrell 204 a couple weeks ago.

Finally got my dies and stuff for the 204 in.
New remington brass 39 gr BK.   extractor extends about 1/2 way.
Blc-2 from 28 - 31 gr doesn't matter.  starting to get a little bulge at 31
  Tried some factory hornadys.  same problem.

The cases don't seem to be stuck, or that tight for that matter, just not extending all the way so it is easy to get ahold of.

Would this be caused by a weak spring??

gun  seems to shoot pretty good other than that. Haven't had a chance to dial in a load  Any suggestions on OAL and powder charges?

thanks
If it Feels Good, Shoot it Again!!!!

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
204 sticky extractor and general reloading
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:47:27 AM »
Do you have the extractor or ejector lug?  

If the cases pull out any, I dont think its a brass or stuck case issue since they taper thus losing contact with chamber the moment the move back.  The only thing that could still be catching is the neck of the case.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 08:07:38 AM »
Welcome aboard!! :D  What Knight said!! :wink: Extractor equipped barrels have no spring, just a gear mechanism that lifts the spent case about a ΒΌ" out of the chamber so you can remove it by hand.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline luv2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 11:26:03 AM »
Thanks

upon further review in the warmth of the house.  :wink:  when I open the action to put a case in, the extractor is fully extended almost touching the hammer block. 1/8" clearance. I can push in on the extractor, gives it about 1/4" clearance.  This is the position that it returns to upon closing and opening whether or not there is a case in  it.  So that eliminates the case problem.

It sure looks like it needs a spring to fully eextend the extractor so it would be easier to get ahold of.  I have pretty small hands thankfully , because someone with large hands  would be in trouble with this gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 11:56:54 AM »
It sounds like maybe you have an ejector equipped barrel that may have been converted to an extractor or the spring is broken/defective or both. The extractor on a factory extractor equipped barrel can't be pressed in as you describe, unless I missed something, which is always possible!! :oops:

What's the bottom of your underlug look like, top or bottom in the pic?? The top underlug is a .204 Ruger extractor underlug, bottom is a standard ejector underlug.

Tim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/quickdtoo/ExtractorEjector.jpg">

Offline luv2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »
Its like the top one.  Extractor.  but I can push it in and out 1/8".  I think I see how it works but it looks like it needs a beefier block or a spring to push bar out further

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 01:21:23 PM »
No one that I know of has disassembled one yet to find out the inner workings, everything is conjecture. Fred M "thinks" it's gear driven, he has quite a bit of experience with different actions, and it makes sense the way mine operate. I have 2 extractor barrels, the .204 and a .22-250, neither can be pressed in any amount when the barrel is in the frame with the action open all the way. I don't recollect trying to press one in with the barrel removed from the frame, tho. Maybe that staked screw controls the movement, dunno. Maybe a call or email to H&R would help.

Tim

Offline Gutshot

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »
My 308 has the extractor . I can push the extractor all the way in untill it catches. I found this out trying to find out how far out to load my bullets in the case. I think it works on a spring somehow. The extractor does kind of pop open, but does not spit the cases out.

AL

Offline luv2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 02:31:16 PM »
It does appear to be some type of cam/gear system.  You can push/pull it whether the barrell is in the stock or not.  with it out you can completely seat the cartridge.  when you push the block back up it only comes out so far.  still has that 1/8" or so free play

I may try calling them tommorow.

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »
Well AL, now ya made me remove the barrels on both of em to check, the extractor can be pressed in flush with the barrel and there doesn't appear to be a spring in there, just the cam mechanism that operates the extractor, at least I could feel no spring tension. When the barrel is removed, you can move the large roll pin up and down to operate the extractor and see somewhat of how it works. It will be interesting what they say about yours, please share whatcha find out. I spose I could guniea pig mine and see what that screw does, but I think I'll wait!!! It would be interesting to see if it can converted it to an ejector for those that want em. Maybe sending a pic of the parts to Fred would be in my future!!

Thanks,

Tim

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: 204 sticky extractor and general reloading info
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 05:52:24 AM »
Quote from: luv2shoot

New remington brass 39 gr BK.   extractor extends about 1/2 way.
Blc-2 from 28 - 31 gr doesn't matter.  starting to get a little bulge at 31

first don't all 204's have extractors?? thats what i heard and thats what i've seen.

second 31 GRAINS!!!!!! WOW :shock: . what case you using?? i know every gun is a law unto its self but in my gun 30 grains is the absolute max that i'll push it at and might be why you have sticky cases.  also remember that it may just need broken in a little and that even when broken in the extractors i have will only push the case out about half way
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline luv2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »
Remington cases. I've backed down to 30 gr. Just trying every .5 gr between 28-31 to see what happened But they do the same at 28 gr. and with Hornady factory loads.

I think you answered my question with saying yours only extend half way.  That is exactly what this is doing.

How far off should I start my bullets off the lands.  When loading the 39 Sieera BK I find I am touching at 2.35  would 2.30 be a good place to start, Closer or farther?

Thanks

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
Try starting it at the recommended book lenght..then slowly increasing it till you .005" off the lands...some rifles shoot better just off the lands..some don't.You'll need to experiment with yours to find out which does better..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »
mine shoots better just off the lands with the 40's and better at book with the 32's
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline luv2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 02:58:56 AM »
Thanks Guys, I will give it a whirl