Author Topic: Just wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions  (Read 771 times)

Offline lonewolf04422

• Trade Count: (0)
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions
« on: February 15, 2006, 05:23:14 PM »
After looking at different forums i joined this one because i heard alot of people suggesting this one for nef questions. I lived in burlington county new jersey (south jersey) till i was 17 then moved here to maine. When i moved here i got serious about hunting since new jersey shotgun season is only 6 days as here i get almost a whole month :-) . Well ive been mostly hunting for deer with my nef pardner 12 gauge modified im short on cash so getting a rifle right now is out of the question is there anyway to improve this gun for the upcoming deer season? I havent added anything to it since i dont know what u can add to it but msp ret suggested i sight i could get for it since i was wanting a brighter one thinking of buying one next time i go to wally world. Since this is a smoothbore gun how many of u shoot rifled slugs out of it and get some what good results? Or should i go with the buckshot? I dont know anyone really in my area to hunt with so im limited to deer and red squirrel. I got some number 8`s for those little critters (im a cheap hunter) but havent got one yet. I thought about for my next gun either a handi rifle in .243 or lately i been eye balling the pump or semi auto. I know the pump runs around $140-150 what does the semi run? Im leaning towards the shotguns only because i wont have to load a shell in after every shot and it would probably be better for me in the future if i decide to get into waterfowl or rabbits. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask som
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:35:29 PM »
Welcome aboard lonewolf04422.
Lots of the guys on here use smooth bore shotguns for deer hunting.  My best advice is to replace the bead with a Hi-Viz or TruGlow for seeing it better.  Also, watch and try to get your rifled slugs on sale.  Pick up a couple boxes of different brands and do some shooting to see which brand your shotgun likes the best.  Then stick with that brand for deer hunting.
As far as the Pardner Pump goes, I have handled a couple and my nephew bought one.  The quality to price ratio seems good and I don't think you could go wrong.  I don't know about the Excel.  As far as the follow up shots is concerned, you would be surprised just how fast you can reload that single shot with some practice.  I only own singles....no pump or auto for me....but that's just me.  Keep in mind, for the price of that pump or auto, you could get quite possiblly one of the most accurate rifled slug guns on the market.  A Tracker II goes for $139 at Gander Mountain...that's with open sights.  About $50 more will get you an Ultra Slug with the heavy barrel...no sights, but drilled and tapped for a sight base which I think comes with it as well as the offset hammer spur.

Good Luck with the deciding.  
Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lonewolf04422

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 08:41:47 AM »
Thanks cookieman so the cheaper slug gun doesnt come drilled and tapped. Are rifled shotguns as accurate as rifles? Yeah i think i might try and get some different brands and try them. Might also pick up some buckshot and give them a try again.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:00:37 PM »
I can't really speak to the question of accuracy as compared to a rifle.  I think the Tracker II with open sights and the Ultra Slug with a scope are fairly comparable in accuracy.  It's more a matter of choice and the type hunting you do...if you stand mostly or walk.  Also, what kind of terrain.  If most of your shots are longer, then the scoped Ultra is the way to go.
As far as buckshot goes, I have no experience there.  We can't deer hunt with buckshot in Minnesota.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lonewolf04422

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 08:40:44 PM »
Thanks. So far its either a .243 handi, the pump, or tracker. Now i just need to get some money  :lol: .

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 09:02:26 PM »
Be sure to check out the NEF/H&R combos.  You can get rifle/shotgun combos in the Pardners.  They're new for this year.  Also there is a combo in the pump that comes with a slug barrel with rifle sights.  Will save you some money that way.  Good Luck
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lonewolf04422

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 09:27:11 PM »
Thanks i went to there site the other day to order a catalog seems they dont like to update i guess. I did see the pump with a rifle barrel that would be the one i would most likely get. I thought u cant get rifle barrels on shotgun frames only muzzleloaders? Well whenever the magazine gets here ill check it out. Im on the magazine kick right now gotta find all the gun makers so i can get a catalog. In a couple mins im off to send in for some handgun catalogs. Ill be 21 this yr in september so i can get a handgun 8) .

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 01:01:36 AM »
The barrel you saw in the catalog with the pump shotgun is a 'Rifled Slug Barrel' designed for shooting sabot slugs.  It's not the same barrel used on the Tracker II or the Ultra Slug guns, but it is the same type.  It has rifling INSIDE the barrel to make the slug spin as it is leaving the barrel.  This is what the sabot slugs are designed for.  A smooth bore shotgun barrel can be used for slugs that are Foster type.  
You are correct, though, you should not put a rifle caliber barrel on a shotgun frame.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lonewolf04422

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 12:30:52 AM »
No i know the difference between smoothbores and rifled barrels. I type weird sometimes and its hard to understand i know i read my last post 1 min ago and was saying what in the world it happens from time to time :? . I just saw the combos on the walmart website someone in the handi rifle form posted it like 240 bucks :shock:  but u get stuck with a shotgun instead of 2 rifle barrels. I dont want another shotgun so if i had 200 i might as well by a winchester lever in 30-30 if walmart still sells them. According to some people there suppose to go out of business but when i visited there site they have new products so someone has something messed up.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 01:21:23 AM »
If you are looking for a DEDICATED slug gun in pump, 12ga or 20ga, you can also get them in that form.  I don't see them listed on Wally World and SportsSouth does not have them in stock either.  However, I have seen them at Gander Mountain.  Pure Slug Gun and comes with rifle sites and includes a scope base.  Oh, they are synthetic stocks.  NOT A COMBO.  
Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Good Luck in the search for the perfect(for you) deer gun.  If you end up buying a pump smoothbore and adding the slug barrel, order it from the factory.  It will be cheaper than going through WallyWorld and probably less wait, also.  
If it were me, I would buy the Protector Pump with the 18" cylinder bore barrel and then order the slug barrel from the factory.  You would be able to use either type slugs that way.  Don't think it would cost much to have sights put on that 18" barrel later if you wanted too.  Just my $.02.  
Good Luck

EDIT ABOVE:  I was wrong, here is the link to the Wally World special order page for the Pump Slug gun  http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4665492
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 01:41:47 AM »
I AM NOT QUITE WITH IT THIS MORNING.  I APOLOGIZE.
After reviewing the info in my 2006 catalog, if find that ALL the pump models have receivers drilled and tapped for scope bases.  
Go for the Protector!!!  $150 at Dicks yesterday and several other stores have had the same price.  You can put your scope on it and use the Foster type rifled slugs.  Problem solved for now and can add the rifled slug barrel later.  Does that work?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lonewolf04422

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 11:16:32 PM »
Yup

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 04:44:04 AM »