Author Topic: H&R 44 cal shotgun anyone have one?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
H&R 44 cal shotgun anyone have one?
« on: February 26, 2006, 05:38:50 AM »
:D Was looking in the paper the other day...A guy had a 44 cal shotgun....So I called him thinking it was a 44mag rifle....He said it was a smooth bore 44 cal break action H&R shotgun....Still confused I researched it.....Some companies made a 44cal shotgun 1950S &1960s...But read nothing about H&R.....Lost popularity to the 410cal shotgun...Are these collectable in H&R the 44 cal shotgun?????How much are they worth in good shape????? Anyone have one????Need some answers please help.....Thanks Dale

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 06:03:38 AM »
Hey there 3006bluffhunter.

Check out this link.  These are the guys that H&R refers you to, if you call them on models made before Marlin bought the company.  You will need the serial number off the left side of the receiver and if ya can, check the barrel lug and see if it has a number on it that matches the last 4 of the serial number.  Don't know if they did it back when that was made, but now they number the barrel lug with the last four so you know it was fitted with that barrel at the factory.  The guys at Walker Arms should be able to help.
Here's the Link:

http://www.walkerarms.net/

Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:11:57 AM »
Just a note, the old H&R used to market some 44Mag/shotgun combos.  Is it possibe this guy has one of those?  He may not know what he has.  Check it out.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 10:40:13 AM »
:D He said the barrel had 44cal (not 44mag)stamped on it.....Smooth bore i'm still looking for someone to confirm that they have or have seen one of these's 44 cal shotguns.... He said its old!I have not drove the 40 mile one way  to see it yet....He wants $150 for it....Thanks Dale

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 11:10:44 AM »
I have seen one.  I have a friend that specializes in the obscure and he has/had one.  The day he had it out at my friends farm we shot all kinds of stuff through it.  Neat gun, not sure its worth $150 but maybe it is in certain circles.

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:28:22 AM »
The 410 bore shotgun is derived from the 44 shotgun which originally had 2inch chambers and brass cases. Marbles also manufactured it in the Game Getter in pistol form. Trappers and coon hunters used them as well. In 1934(IIRC) the federal gov't outlawed the short barrelled rifles and shotguns as well as full auto pistols and rifles. This led to the demise of the 44 shotgun and and led to the 410 evolution in 2 1/2 and then 3" lengths. The gun in the post prolly dates from the early 1900's and should have the 2" chamber. A true collectable if so.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 08:30:13 AM »
The 410 bore shotgun is derived from the 44 shotgun which originally had 2inch chambers and brass cases. Marbles also manufactured it in the Game Getter in pistol form. Trappers and coon hunters used them as well. In 1934(IIRC) the federal gov't outlawed the short barrelled rifles and shotguns as well as full auto pistols and rifles. This led to the demise of the 44 shotgun and and led to the 410 evolution in 2 1/2 and then 3" lengths. The gun in the post prolly dates from the early 1900's and should have the 2" chamber. A true collectable if so.
"Use a big enough gun!"