Author Topic: Need help buying a new Handgun  (Read 613 times)

Offline Hatterasurf

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help buying a new Handgun
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:23:11 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new handgun to carry.  I'm between a 9mm or a .40.  I have a s&w .38 revolver and really like it.  I was looking at a Taurus, but everyone has something bad to say about them.  I' ve been looking a sig p226 and really like them.  The s&W model sw9ve is cheap for a smith and i have always like them.  I need so feedback or better sugestions.  thanks guys.
John

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:46:31 AM »
The only good thing I can say about the Taurus is that it betters what it copies and that ain't saying much.  I REALLY have issues with the 92 series of pistols.  No one makes a revolver better than a Smith but they should have stuck with what they knew.
I'm teasing but in jest, truth will out, I can't believe that anyone would put the Sig 226 in the same paragraph as Taurus and Smith autos!!!
Truthfully, problem sig's is an oxymoron.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Feldhege

• Avid Poster
    • Universal Sight
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:19:06 AM »
I suggest a Glock 19. It is a wonderful size for carry (if it fits your hand) and will go bang every time you pull the trigger. It ain't pretty but it is very reliable. In a carry gun, that is what matters.

Robb
If your best was good enough today....
It won't be tomorrow.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:40:11 AM »
The Sig is a great handgun, if that is what you like go for it. I have a S&W sigma 9mm and it is and has been a great shooter also, but not in the same league as the Sig as far as quality. But the S&W is a lot better than a Taurus in my opinion.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dune

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 12:14:31 PM »
The sigs are definitly heads and shoulders above the smith and wesson, dont know much about the taurus. check out cdnn's catalog great prices on used sigs.       Dune

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »
I'd not wanna trust my life to a Taurus or S&W semiauto either one. Sig is supposed to be the class act according to most but I've never owned one so dunno. Glocks I like and trust. They just keep on keeping on without a hitch. Them I trust.

Ron Reed a GBO Sponsor might still have some of the FN Browning High Power's left he was selling at a super price awhile back. He had them in 9MM and .40 S&W in SS and Matte blue finish as I recall. I got one of them in Matte in .40 S&W which I plan to turn into my truck gun when I get some nice weather to take it out and shoot it a bit. Came with three high capacity mags. Heck of a buy.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 02:34:58 PM »
Out of the two, I've only shot a buddy's 9mm sigma.  It was a nice shooter, but that is the extent of my experience with it.  My dad just retired from police work this past year, and while I went through my academy, I used one  of his old sidearms.  I don't remember if it was a 5906, or a 6906, but it was a 9mm compact.  With that said, I wasn't very fond of it to begin with... I just thought it felt clunky, and even after shooting 2000-3000 rounds through it, I still feel that way, but I give it pretty good marks in reliability, and accuracy.  I also tried a glock 17 while in the academy.  I had always thought they looked like something that should be used in a driveby shooting, but after using them, I have a new found respect for their accuracy, reliability, and shootability(it's alot better than the s&w I was using).  I bought a glock 22 the other day, so you know where I am putting my faith.  I think it's up to you where you spend your money, try them all out if you can.  I would think that if you were willing to spend the money on a sig, you might as well at least take a look at the glocks as well.  Sorry about the rambling, and good luck in the search.  :D

~~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 02:38:42 PM »
I have a S&W SW40VE and couldn't be happier with it.  It has had about 800 rounds through it with all kinds of shooters (guys like me, girls with limp wrists) and have never had a jam, ejection failure or anything of the like.  It has a smooth action and I like the trigger pull.  I would highly recommend this gun.  My buddy has a Taurus PT-92 9mm, and he really likes it, no problems for him.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
I have a Sigma VE Series in 9 mm and have had absolutely no problems with it. The trigger is only fair, but never had a failure. Also have a Glock 17 and it has been great, but the Sigma fits my hand better. For just plain old reliability at a moderate price, check out the Ruger P-95. Mine will shoot anything and I trust it's reliability totally.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »
I carry a Sig 225 it was replaced by the 239 both are very nice carry guns

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »
:wink: If ya ain't packing a Sig you are unarmed......... :roll:

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »
Consider getting a Smith & Wesson 3913TSW ...

... accurate, reliable and not too big nor not too small. I like it so much that I own three of them ...

The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.