Author Topic: kitting out a new shooter  (Read 408 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
kitting out a new shooter
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:55:37 PM »
i've got a 12 year old cousin who is absolutely nuts about hunting fishing shooting and the outdoors in general.i'm quite excited about this, because although my late grandfather was an avid outdoorsman, the rest of his grandchildren aside from me seem to have become video game junkies/ couch jockeys. back in December one of my dad's brother's died, and i inherited the few guns he had. one of these was a Cooey Model 39. i also got a Cooey Model 60, and already have a Stevens 87 semi auto, so i have no real use for the single shot, and it's too small for me. for these reasons my plan was always to clean/fix it up and give it to my younger cousin, and take him shooting as often as possible, once he's passed his hunter's safety course that is. it will have to stay in my name and in my cabinet, but for all intents and purposes it will be his.also plan to give him my 1898 .30-40 Krag come deer season and a shotgun of some type, haven't decided what yet. but back to the .22, aside from the gun i also plan to give a bunch of accessories. here's a list of what i've thought of so far, looking for some more suggestions.

carrying case
range box
shooting glasses
ear protection of some sort
cleaning kit
a big stack of printed targets

am i missing anything?
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »
1. Sling
2. Precision screw drivers for range box.
3. A small first aid kit or bandaids for range box.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 01:54:28 AM »
Wow, that's one lucky kid.  Need another cousin?  I'm available ya know.

Seriously, I hope he appreciates it.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 03:36:42 PM »
One thing that i did was to tape the 10 rules of gun safety to the inside of their range box so every time they would open it , there it was right in front of them . So as they would reach for ammo it was there . Reach for a cleaning kit , it was there .

You can not remind them too much ! Just an idea .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:43:06 PM »
How about a dozen kinds of low cost ammo to experiment with?