Author Topic: Antelope Hunting in South Dakota  (Read 678 times)

Offline Danegeld

• Trade Count: (0)
Antelope Hunting in South Dakota
« on: February 25, 2006, 12:07:47 PM »
Since there is no forum for Antelope here is a little pic and story about a pretty good goat I bagged in 1992.   Took it north of Belle Fourche, SD after a one plus hour low crawl thru prairie grass, prickly pear cactus, etc.  I mean I was on my belly and messed up the stock of my rifle by dragging it beside me :(  I got within 200 yds of the goat and popped him in the neck.  He never knew what hit him.  I used a 7Mag with a 150 grain CoreLokt (  :-D  ) bullet.

Talk about stoked.  I was hunting with my boss and his wife.  When we got back to town I put a couple of bags of ice in the cavity and then we had a couple of beers and fired up the grill.  About a 1/2 hour later they wanted to get a couple of pictures and we walked back out to the truck.  That knot-headed son of his, LMAO :-D  :-D  :-D was shooting it with his bow and arrow.  There were two arrows sticking out of it's HQs I was pissed as heck.

Ben

Offline varmithunter06

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »
Hi, i just buyed a 7mm mag. i was wondering what did the exit hole was like was it small or big and how much meat was destroyed, nice kill

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »
Quote from: varmithunter06
Hi, i just buyed a 7mm mag. i was wondering what did the exit hole was like was it small or big and how much meat was destroyed, nice kill

Not much meat messed up at all.  The entry wound was just about the size of a #2 pencil, exit wound maybe a dime.  Of course hitting a bone might make exit wounds differ...

Ben

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
We used to have forums for Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk all. No one used them. So I deleted them and set up the Western Big Game Hunting forum and moved the posts from all of them into it. That's where this one really should be. I might move it later but will give you plenty of time to see this so you'll know where it is if I do move it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
We used to have forums for Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk all. No one used them. So I deleted them and set up the Western Big Game Hunting forum and moved the posts from all of them into it. That's where this one really should be. I might move it later but will give you plenty of time to see this so you'll know where it is if I do move it.

Yeah, that'd be great, thanks.

Ben

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
South Dakota
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 05:16:48 PM »
Antelope hunting is the best. I'll go again in 2006. I hunt the eastern unit of harding county. For me it is a vacation hunt only , as the opening weekend is just to busy me. Try a mid week hunt and you will see more antelope.

Longwalker