Author Topic: Howdy from a new Handi owner and a new member  (Read 462 times)

Offline shootinscot

• Trade Count: (0)
Howdy from a new Handi owner and a new member
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:20:47 AM »
Hi y'all, from Virginia  :D

I've been messing around with my Ruger 22 long for years, and finally decided to try out something with a little more of everything.  I got a 30-06 from a local dealer here, and it's just bootiful!  I can't wait to sight it in and start shootin' - ah, the honeymoon period...

I have to admit, I think I got lucky with how I went about deciding on an H&R - I had no idea what to look for, just a cost that would not make the Dear Wife get *that* look...I looked at Rossi first, and the dealer suggested that the extra 2 lbs in the H&R would make a lot of difference in the kick.  After I ordered the gun, I went looking on line for advice about whether I made the right decision...I know, kind of backwards.  But this is a great site, and I'm glad that events led me here - y'all are really knowledgable, and I've got a lot of great advice just by reading up on posts.

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has advice about what ammo works best, please pass it along.  I'm going to go shoot 3-4 types to see how each work, so if I can get it narrowed down to that, I won't have to walk around the store flipping coins...people really stare at you when you do that.

Mike, the shootin Scot (in case y'all were thinking Scott was my name...)

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Howdy from a new Handi owner and a new memb
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 02:41:58 AM »
Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum.  I don't have a handi in 30-06 so I'll refrain from guessing about what to feed it.  Someone will surely be along shortly to make an informed suggestion!

Offline NE Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:12:05 AM »
I've never shot a handi 30-06 either but every 30-06 I've owned liked 165 gr bullets.  I would sugest that as a starting weight.

Offline NE Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:14:04 AM »
Oh, BTW welcome to the forum!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:03:33 AM »
Welcome Aboard Mike :D

You've choosen a nice cartridge for your first Handi :agree: Now your off to a very good to start of a long affair with them...:wink: I'll make a few suggestions to you,before you begin shooting it.Get some Flitz and polish the bore and chamber.The directions are up in the FAQ and help sticky at the top of the page,which also contains a-lot of good info and great links to help you...Flitzing the bore does help speed up the break in period and in a lot of cases will help your consistancy of your groups..Once done with that.. pick up some 150 grain Federal Fusion ammo for it..my Ultra-Comp 30-06 loves this round..Also..try some of the Winchester Supreme ammo with the black Combined Technologies silver ballistic tips..they are a bit higher in price,but I've found them to be very accurate as well..provided you shoot them from a clean bore..while it's not a 06'..this threads has a-lot of good information in it pertaining to getting a Handi to shoot better and also on the Winchester Supreme ammo too..http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=87027

Good Luck with your new Handi..and keep us posted on how it's doing :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 05:11:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mike from one VA sportsman to another. Just happens there are a few of us here :grin: Takes all kinds :)
Good choice with the -06, I don't believe you will be disappointed with it. I love mine, it's my favorite barrel.
A few good factory choices that I have tried and know of:

-Federal Fusions..Do a search and you'll find plenty of great info on these.
 -Winchester Supreme Silver Tips..little expensive, but it is premium ammo.
 -Winchester Super-X Silver Tips..no relation to the above, but they shoot excellent in mine, always under 1". 180grains especially.
 -Winchester Super-X SP..shoot about the same as the Remys, maybe a little better in mine.
 -Remington Cor-Loks..these shoot a respectable 1" at 100yd  in mine

Those are just a few.  I find also that my -06 likes things a little on the heavy side, 165 and up, but 150s do just fine.
Keep us posted.
-Aaron

Offline shootinscot

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:05:05 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded so far - it's great to feel welcome, and that's one thing this site's members seem to do really well.

It's really an eye-opener to see all the things that can affect accuracy, and I'll sure try as many as my time and expenses allow.

I appreciate the help, and darned if it isn't hard to keep from getting some serious addictive tendencies from looking around here.  I've always admired the design and history of the -06, so it was natural that I'd try that cartridge first.  But I'm now thinking...a .308 sounds good, and so many other calibers are looking very interesting, for various reasons and uses...this could get expensive!

I'll surely post back with my results, and, while I'm just killing paper for now, I'd really like to get out where the critters are and try my hand at that...eventually.  I'm at least (barely) smart enough to know that I don't know a lot at this point :) I know I'll have to get a lot further along before that - hopefully I can hook up with some folks here that do hunt, and maybe do some OJT!

Gura maith agaibh (that's my old folks' way of saying thanks!)
Mike

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:54:55 AM »
welcom aboard.  I hope you find all the info about handi's that you need here.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:12:57 PM »
Hi Mike, Welcome to the Fraternity of the Handi-Rifle (a.k.a. 'Handi-holics).  You've certainly picked a proven round to start your obsession, or is that affliction, with.   :D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 02:33:25 PM »
Welcome to GBO Mike  :D

I do have an 30-06, but not in handi. I use 150 gr bullets for the most part. Let us know how she shoots will you.

John