Author Topic: How far do you guys regularly shoot ?  (Read 984 times)

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How far do you guys regularly shoot ?
« on: January 23, 2006, 11:26:35 AM »
Hello from Georgia,

I would like to hear about the distances that you regularly shoot. I am lucky enough to have a 500 yard range at my house and we quite often send lead on a long distance trip. The .308 Ultra I have does well at that range and will ring an 8" steel gong almost every time. I have gotten the mil dot scope figured out and now it is simply a matter of placing the right dot on the target and holding the rifle VERY still. I know that most people sight in at 100 or 200 yards but do you ever practice at longer ranges ?

I would also like to hear about the farthest distance you have ever taken game. The longest shot I have ever made on an animal was a deer that I shot with a bolt action .308 at 445 yards across a green field. The farthest I have taken an animal with my Handi was a deer at 225 yards.  
I look forward to your responces. Thanks.

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 02:12:32 PM »
I shot 3 coyotes last year with my .223 NEF. ALL of these were under 100 yards. Closest was 25 yards. I live in Wisconsin, so I don't get to do much long range shooting at coyotes...yet.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:35:03 PM »
its seams you and i are on the same page dave. i too have a 500 yard range not but 20 steps out my back door. i shoot mostly at 250 yards and 300 yards but i shoot out to 500 i would say at least 5 times a month.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Gutshot

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 02:39:33 PM »
I have never taken a deer farther than 60 or 70 yards. Everything I hunt is very thick. So I didnt own anything that would shoot accurately that far. I can count on one hand how many times I would have had a long shot on deer. I do practice the max range with the rifle I use just in case.  I have increases my inventory a bit in the last couple years. I have shot alot of long distance for fun in the last 4 or 5 years. I have about 500yards in the back 40 as well. When I was a kid we had a pit out back. I used to shoot a 2ft x 2ft piece of scrap metel on the opposite side with my 22. I used to love hearing the PANG! after a short pause. It must be 250 yards across. The longest shot I ever made on game was on a Seagull across that pit about 60 yards above the opposite edge maybe 300 yards. I could not believe I hit it. I was about twelve years old. I never thought I could have hit it. Back then I would go through about a brick a week. I think I was a better shot then. And for the record I dont shoot Seagulls anymore. That was at least 24 years ago. My 204 Ultra should be here soon I hope to get some yotes on the pond ice this winter. That could be a 300 to 500 yard shot.

AL

Offline Cappy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 03:02:17 PM »
I regularily shoot back to 500yds and occasionaly get out as far as 1000. Having said that I think the longest shot I have taken on a game animal is around 250yds and the avg is right around the 100yd mark. Shooting longer distance makes shooting up close seem a whole lot easier.

Offline bja105

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 03:32:55 PM »
Our club has a 100/200/300 yard range, but I rarely use it.  The benches are too low, and I can't shoot heavier recoiling stuff bent over.  I mostly use the other 100 yard range for scoped rifles.  I use the 50 yard range for open sighted milsurps.  I also use the 5 yard falling steel, bowling pin range, and indoor range for handguns.

At camp, we have 50, 100, and 300.  I have a gong at 300 yards, and a boulder at 393, for fun shooting.  I've gotten pretty good at the gong with open sights, I hit 4 or 5 of 5 with my 91/30 last week.

On game, My farthest deer was 340 yards.  Groundhog, 415.  Crow, 515.....ON VIDEO!!!!!!

Everybody should get a laser rangefinder.

I'm most proud of a 55 yard shot at a deer.  It was with my bow on a wounded deer (otherwise, I wouldn't shoot that far.)

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 03:46:58 PM »
420 yds longest shot on deer. Avg shot about 75yds.  8)
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 03:48:48 PM »
I too have easy access to some long range shooting, but I haven't taken advantage of it for a long time-  I have 50 yds from my deck and do a lot of rimfire plinking.  
my varmint guns have not needed any adjustment for years.  

My longest shot on game was an elk at 200yds.  My closest was a rutting blacktail forked horn that objected to mt being in his territory.  I shot him at two long paces with a .270.  All my other shots on deer at 80 or under.

Longest on a varmint was a prarie dog at 880yds with my namesake, my 22 Cheetah mkIII.  This rifle makes long-range shots almost too easy.

Offline 6-24x42

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 04:11:50 PM »
never had the chance at anything over 150 yards. Made it count there though. would like to visit some longer ranges like 300-500 yards but there are none in the area. Instead I just plink away at 100 yards. :cry:
Hustle, Desire, Discipline :gun4:

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 04:54:30 PM »
Quote from: 6-24x42
never had the chance at anything over 150 yards. Made it count there though. would like to visit some longer ranges like 300-500 yards but there are none in the area. Instead I just plink away at 100 yards. :cry:

get a good 22lr. to me shooting my 22's at 200 yards feels a lot like shooting my 308 at 800 yards. anybody and click up a scope but a marksmen can read the wind and nothing teaches that to you better then a 22.

longest shot on a deer was 512 yards (lrf confirmed and witnesses) shot  on a doe last year with my 308 handi.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Blammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »
I usually shoot all the way to the target! :)

about 100 yds on a regular basis.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 07:45:35 PM »
I shoot a Handi in 30-06.  I have it sighted in for 300 yards.  I shoot a sierria 165gr boat tail, traveling at 2800fps.  I regulerly shoot at 300 and 400 yards.  On occasion I need to make longer shots on out to 500 and 600 yards.  I  sometimes even take a 700 yards shot.  If the wolf is standing still I have a good chance of hitting him, if it's running I'll pass on anything over 600 yards.   I do use a Shepard scope.  The one with 18" circles.

I'm currently looking at building a long range gun for shooting larger game at long ranges.  I'm looking at building a single shot to shoot the .338-378Wby cartridge.  That cartridge should be good on out to 1000 yards.

I have shot a Moose at 500 yards, and killed a Caribou at 700 yards.  But my normal Moose shots are 80 yards and for Caribou normally I shoot them at 200 to 250 yards.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hawgmaster

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 02:42:46 AM »
I have access to an area where I can shoot 200 yards. We do not have any ranges in SC that are longer than 200 yards that I know of. I would really like to get into a club that shoots the 600 yard matches, but I think I would have to move to find that.
I am very pleased with my handi's at 100 yards and most of the places I hunt that is about as far as I would ever have to shoot a coyote or fox.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 03:18:07 PM »
I have a  cabin in upstate NY we have a 120 yard range so most of our shooting is 50 to 100 and there is a spot for a single target thats at  240 yards which we will use once in a while. Usually set up some woodchuck targets out there.

Offline A.J.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 09:21:45 AM »
While I have a "new" handi in .270 that I haven't shot yet, I have a Sako in .300 Win. Mag with a Shephard scope on it (18" circles) that I've shot out to 700 yards at a metal ringer. It's so far away that I shoot...lower my rifle...watch the dust fly off the ringer...then a second or so later hear it ring. Best shot I ever made was at a running coyote at 350 large paces...broke it's neck..with a 14" contender in 7-30 Waters. Most deer I've shot has been a hundred yards or less, with the exception of one I shot at around 350 yards with a .270 Rem. model 700.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 10:18:02 AM »
The longest shooting I get is 500 yds also Like to shoot that every once in awhile with my Tikka 308.
For game I have taken a groundhog at 350yds with a Remington 700 in 22-250. For the great white tail the longest has been 175 yds with a Enfield 303 British.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline Plinkomatic

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 08:32:05 AM »
At my range they have steel plates all the way out to 700 yards, but I dont really shoot those much.  On Thursdays afternoon they close the range for SWAT and I think those guys do that ultra long range work.
I'm trying to work on my MilDot skills and can get the 8" plates at 500 yards pretty regularly.
I'm shooting a Survivor .308 with a MilDot Tasco, generally using South African MilSlop ammo which is not quite as consistent as I'd like, but I can't afford to shoot Federal Match, and the SA308 is pretty darn good for the price (1/6th as much as FedMatch).
There is a gong at 400 yards which is a hoot to shoot as it rings real loud.
It's especially fun to set targets at 100yards and make nice cloverleaf patterns.
My Survivor is an truly incredible rifle.  It is a finer shooter than FAR more expensive rifles.  My pride quietly brimms watching people spray targets with their Rem700's, Savages, Tikka's, Sako's, Wetherbys... whatever....  I just love my NEF.