Author Topic: Building the perfect 223 handi  (Read 1415 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Building the perfect 223 handi
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »
If you could build the perfect .223Rem. handi what would you use .

Barrel  

Stocks

Hammer & Trigger

Scope & Rings

And any other things you can think of . All ideas welcome .

Planning my next project and dollars don't matter .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:01:30 AM »
I'm in the process of doing this right now.

Barrel= Ultra Varmint 24" heavy.  You can bore it, flute it, octagon it, or rechamber it to what ever you desire later with such a meaty barrel.    I plan on octagonning mine later, then fluting the flats.

Stocks= Gunstocks Inc.  I just completed my High-Rollover set I got off of Quick.  Feels absoletely natural in my hands and arms..   real eye-candy too.  LOTS of work though..  ..do not under estimate the amount of time you will invest if you go that route.    However, the stock Cinnamin Laminates are pretty nice if you dont feel so inclined to do the custom stock job.

Hammer & Trigger= to each their own with the trigger.  I'd say 3-4lb should be a good place for it.   I'm gonna purchase another hammer to modify, will probably round it off instead of it being so square shaped.  Maybe fan out the spur and bend it downwards a little to provide scope clearance.

Scope & rings= Mueller 8.5-25x44 Tactical looks real good.  I'm ordering mine as soon as PayPal gets my funds transfered.  Only con to the mueller I mentioned is the 3" eye relief.  Rings, not sure yet..
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »
Money is no-object ehh.. :mrgreen: Well then let's see...

Stocks would be from Wenig..I haven't seen anyone who can make them for a Handi any prettier in wood..if you want to go the synthetic route..say with a liteweight Kevlar..Wayne at Oregunsmithing..he makes stocks for Montana rifle company..and could do one for you..

Barrel would be a rebored stainless fluted again done by Wayne York..to 1 in 7 or 8 twist with cut rifling..if not Wayne..then Harry McGowan..and it would get the full treatment cryo'd as well..

Hammer and trigger?..If doing your project..with your money..I probably would have the standard factory trigger bobbed cryo'd and plated..and a short hammer extention mounted..

Mounts would be done at the same time and the barrel ..and would have some custom made to rid the top of the scope rail...and would be fitted with a nice Schmitt & Bender scope..

That would about do it..except if I was really indulging myself..I would have a custom fitted case made by Huey guncase & accessories inc.to carry it around in...and not to mention some fine engraving..so these 2 things will kick it up a notch..

All that for around $10,000...not bad for a Handi.. :-D  :-D  :-D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 10:33:04 AM »
Mac

Your a man after my own heart , I was thinking along those lines but with a price tag of about 1/2 that . :-D
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:03:13 AM »
I think Fred's custom builds are about as nice an Ultra as could be asked for, his modifications and looks have my vote!! How much $$USD Fred???

Tim

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/257wp3.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »
Quote from: stimpylu32
Mac

Your a man after my own heart , I was thinking along those lines but with a price tag of about 1/2 that . :-D

Well....1/2 of that..let's see..deduct $2500 for the  Huey case..and $2000 for the engraving....and go with a Swarovski PH series and save about $400 more...and your right in the ball park...so...there you go.. :wink:

To save all the trouble of sighting it in and working up loads..spend an extra $600 and let Larry of Superior ammo wring it out for you..he'll work thru 5 or 6 bullets and as many powders and factory loads to find the best shooting loads for your needs..and then custom load the ammo for you and give you all the loading data and specs for it in case you want to load for it..he'll keep what he does on file so you can just order custom made ammo for your rifle from then on..

Mac

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
Quick

Your right about Freds handi's , i like the way he mounted the scope on the top one because the one thing that i hate about the H&Rs is that ugly scope rail .  :evil:  

My next barrel will NOT have one .
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
Mac you should put that pic up of your handi with those nice finished stocks. I can't remember what rifle it was but sure was pretty from what I remember. I like Knights project and I sure like Freds as well.
I would also have a stainless rebored and mounts done at the same time. Trigger job done , I would also have a leupold VX III 8.5-25LR,T. I would chroney my loads and then send scope off to be dotted for long ranges.

John

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 05:10:58 PM »
Buy the Fluted Varmit model like I did................. :)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »
Tim.

How much $$USD Fred???

To start with neither one of the 223's qualified for an accurate varmint rifle both had 24" bull barrels. That is when they became a 257 Roberts and a 6x47. I really wanted a good shooting 223.

At present the 6x47 shows the Handi scope rail, but in time this rail will be replaced with two bases same as the 257 Roberts, since I now have a dedicated 6.5-20 x50 Burris Full Field with a balistic mil dot. This is a good varmint scope from what I can tell.

Here ia an estimate of what it would cost to make either one, not including a scope.

Redo the stock and checkering $300
Octagon milling                       $225
Octagone finishing                   $125
Barrel bluing                           $125
Individual scope bases             $150
Rebore barrel                          $260
Total                                 $1085

Plus the H&R Ultra rifle plus tuning. Perhaps if a smith could do all of the above there would be some savings perhaps? I really don't think I would spent this kind of money on a Handi rifle if I could not do 75% of the work myself.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 12:07:16 PM »
Fred, first of all, thanks for taking time to itemize the list. From a Handiholic's point of view I think your Ultra is a much nicer offering for the money than say a $7500 Dakota that won't shoot any better and certainly more unique, in my book. :wink:

Thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »
Already have my dream 223 Handi..

Started with a 22" heavy barrel Handi with the 1-12" twist. Bought it because I wanted a short overall rifle for easy handling that has a heavy barrel.

Didn't like the stock so I switched it to the ultra laminated wood. Attached a Bushnell 4-12 and a Harris 6-9" bipod and there you go. And even though the new models have 1-9" twist, I would still prefer the 1-12 because I don't shoot heavy match bullets anyway. Mainly 40 grain varmint bullets or the 45g Win white box.

I have myself a nice handling rifle which I strictly use for groundhogs and paper. Last summer I used it quite a bit and enjoyed it alot...however I recently aquired a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger and Im a likin it. Doesn't have the bulkiness of a bench varmint rifle however it shoots groups under 1/2" and I wouldn't be scared to put it head-to-head with any heavy varmint rig.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »
Ok guys , here is what i'm thinking .

First i start with a standard bull barrel 223 handi .

Have the bore and chamber polished , have 6 flutts cut in the outside also have seprate mounts installed to get rid of the ugly scope rail .

Compleatly strip and polish the frame and barrel for reblueing .

Have all inturnals polished , trigger set to 4 pounds , hammer bobed and install some sort of hammer ext. or maybe a custom hammer with built in ext. for right and left handed shooting .

Gun stocks inc. thumbhole sholder stock and a custom extra wide BR forarm . And you know my flair for color so stocks will be painted candy apple red .

As far as optics , the Leupold VX-III 6.5 x 20 x 50 with Mark 4 rings .

Am i on the right track or way of base ?
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 03:12:02 PM »
I think I would start out by buying 15 Handi's with 223 Varmit barrels,test all 15 for accurcy. Then take the best barrel and test it on all 15 recievers,and then take the best reciever,and barrel and there you have it . Possibly a very accurate Handi.   :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :D  :D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 06:01:29 AM »
Without wasting too much money, get a 223 bull barrel and  rebore to 243 with a 1-12" twist and chamber either for 223-6mm(6x45) or the 222Rem Mag (6x47) for a most accurate medium varminter or chamber for the 240 Cobra (220 Swift x6mm) for a long range super tack driver. Both cases only needs the neck expanded and you are ready to go.

If you want to do an octagon barrel make sure this is done before the rebore and it is not advised to do it on a H&R bore.

No amount of flitzing or polishing will improve an oversize bore. Reboring will not set up stress or reduce it. If you are lucky you may find a 223 bore out of 15 that will qualify for a varminter. IMHO anything over a 1/2 is not a bonafide varminter.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 07:19:05 AM »
Fred M

Were can i find more info on the 240 cobra , i have never heard of it , but it sounds like what i am looking for .
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 02:05:44 PM »
stimpylu32.
Some time back the 240 Cobra was very well received. The reason I mentioned it is that it fits the 223 Handi very well for an ideal varmint cartridge with a near perfect expansion ratio. It cleans up the 223 chamber and would not need much ejector/extractor conversion and 220Swift brass is easy to get.

For a 6mm varmint cartridge it is about the same as the 6mmBR which of course will not clean up the 223 chamber  in a Handi. If you find a book on wild cats you will sure find it. A 6mmBR would be real good too if you want to stub the barrel. But I am trying to advise a conversion with moderate cost. I am sure you can rent a chamber reamer.

Other than that you can only go for a 243 Or a 244 with a 1-12" twist Either of the two cases hold too much powder for for easy varminting with light 6mm bullets. There are not many choices for a Handi conversion.
I am very pleased withe 6x47 besides its simplicity and there are lots of reamers available.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 03:55:25 PM »
Fred M

Thank you very much , lots of info to digest now .  :D
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline A.J.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 05:34:49 AM »
You want to build the "ultimate" varmint rig...money is no object...and you want to build it on a Handi? Isn't that what you call an oxymoron? To me the biggest attraction of a Handi is how much you can do with a rifle that cost so little. If I was to build the "ultimate" varmint rig and intended to spend a lot of money on it, I would buy a Ruger #1 with fancy wood if I wanted a single shot, and a Sako if I preferred a bolt. I'm planning on sending my frame and forearm in in a few months and have a bull barrel .223, and either a 45-70 or .35 Whelen Barrel fitted to it. I'll tinker with those barrels to wring the best accuracy I can out of them, and I'll be a happy camper...just my 2 cents
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 06:14:19 AM »
Stimplu32:

It's a hoot taking these little rifles and re-doing them to what your heart desires on them..While sometimes I just love playing with all the factory options..my head gets to spinning almost out of control when it comes to going the full custom route.

I just got off the phone with Wayne and have made the plunge on another custom barrel from him..which means I'll have to send into the factory for a replacement 25-06 barrel now and quickly too....and that's ok..I'll let Jon there work his majic with it..and do a trigger job and fit it up right..I've elected to build a 26" 270 Winchester..not a true varmint rifle..but one of my perinial favorites for what it can do for me with 90 grainers up to 170 grain ULD RBBT's that are available for it..but you can bet..when the time comes for me to do another one..I'll do a true varmint-match cartridge..and be back in the same boat..Now..if I can convince Wayne to do the lay-up for one of his Kevlar stocks for these little rifles for me.....

Mac

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 06:29:31 AM »
A.J.

There is something about the little H&R that i just fell in love with and the though of having one that no one else has is driving me nuts . True the Ruger is maybe a better frame to use , but after having to send 2 loaded firearms back to have them fixed has kinda soured me on them .

Mac

I know what you mean about the 270 , i have a custom bolt gun built around a M98 action in 270 Win. and like the idea of loading it for anything from groundhogs to elk and know it will do the job .

And Fred M had a good idea with the 240 congo and i am leaning very strongly that way for my next one , right after the 32 H&R mag gets finished .
Deceased June 17, 2015