Author Topic: Legal Length Measurment  (Read 588 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Legal Length Measurment
« on: March 19, 2006, 10:41:18 AM »
In regards to the pistol grip pictured in this link:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=587080&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Would you measure OL from the end of the muzzle to the heel of the pistol grip.  I am assuming those 2 points to be parralell to each other.  Or, would you just measure from the muzzle to the stock bolt.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Legal Length Measurment
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:01:51 PM »
I would measure in a straight line from the front of the barrel to the end of the grip with that measured line being parallel to the barrel, sort of looking like a capital "H" with barrel being held along the cross piece of the "H" and one vertical leg of the "H" being at the end of the barrel and the other vertical leg at end of the buttstock...is that understandable?....<><.... :?:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Legal Length Measurment
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:00:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere you need a 22" barrel to make the mnimum legal 26"OAL. Choate offers a similar pistol grip. Not real practial for anything but one day I'd like to get one just to play with.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Legal Length Measurment
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
Yep, Andy.  That is what I was seeing in my 'Minds Eye' and having a hard time describing.  

Markus.  I think you are right.  I remember someone posting that, too.  I, like you, thought it might be fun to play around with.

Thanks, guys
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Legal Length Measurment
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 02:47:25 AM »
I think it would reach the required 26" with a 20" barrel. The reciever extends out an addittional 3" (not measuring the stock bolt). If you add to that the approximate 3" for the part of the stock required for the stock bolt and to the rear part of the bottom of the pistol grip that would be the 26". If you try I would suggest starting from the stock end and a longer barrel, cutting the barrel last and making it 26.25" overall to be sure no measuring differences put you into a problem. I measured my .22 LR Sportster with a 20" barrel and from the barrel to the end of the pistol grip was 26". Of course you could start with the barrel and just make the stock long enough to reach the 26(+) inches required....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Legal Length Measurment
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 04:29:39 AM »
Quote from: Markus
I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere you need a 22" barrel to make the mnimum legal 26"OAL. Choate offers a similar pistol grip. Not real practial for anything but one day I'd like to get one just to play with.

IIRC that was on the Choate website when they had the pistol grips for the H & Rs. Just popped in there & didn't see the pistol grips listed.
gino

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
Legal length
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 11:23:43 PM »
:-) Guys, I had some corespondance(is this a word?) with Cookieman about this subject. I made a stock set-pistol grip and forend- out of hard maple for a gun of this type. I glass-bedded both forend and pistol grip for a good fit. I think the minimum barrel length would be 22in. to be legal and on the safe side. The 22in Mod choke Youth barrel would be a good candidate for this. I would post a picture or two of this if I could find out how. Be good, guys. Hunman55