Author Topic: Cannons in New Jersey?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline reddog

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannons in New Jersey?
« on: March 02, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »
Hi all, agian thanks for the feedback on my last post. Like I said before this is my first cannon. I did a lot of research on the subject before ordering it {almost a year}, but that makes me no expert. So here's my problem, I live in N.J. The gun laws in N.J. are very strict even for bp muzzleloading. I think I remember reading somewere that anything over .60 caliber {not including shotguns} is considerd A dangerous weapon? I'm not going to fire the cannon until I know more. Anyone in here live in N.J. and own a cannon? any help would be appreciated. thanks.                                                                                                                           P.S this is only a temporary issue, We just bought A house in Goerga, gotta sell this one first, so i'd still like to know {would like to fire it before I go}
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:10:42 PM »
You may be able to look up the law in the Code of NJ - which may even be on-line.

Note the distinction in legal terms between devices - there are emergency and signalling devices that are not firearms.  An example are the 26.5mm flare pistols.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline reddog

Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »
Thanks Cat, thats a good point, but thats also the problem. Trying to sort thru N.J. gun laws can be A real nightmare, More so when it comes to blackpowder. My main concern is the .60 caliber issue. In N.J. is a cannon concerded A signaling device? I'm still doing more research but any help on the issue would be great. Again thanks for the input.
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 03:56:02 AM »
Where is Ray when we need him? Rays89 that is!

Michael

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 10:51:08 AM »

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 10:57:16 AM »

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 11:26:48 AM »
Some one looking for me? Ok well I'm not going to say I know New Jersey laws to the letter. And I don't think anybody knows the state laws to the letter let it be the law enforcement, lawyers or lawmakers ect. But being a prior resident of such a free state<sarcasm. I do know that  to possess any sort of long arm requires a firearms ID let it be Smokeless, Black powder or a BB gun. And a short barrel firearm (pistol) requires a pistol purchese permit regardless of propelent or age, Yes Antiques even nonfireing require a permit of some sort.  Most cannons tend to be short barreled (at least the ones I'm used to.) Would probably be considered a handgun, No serial number (big no-no). Even a slingshot is illegal in N.J. Now a signal cannon is in some serious gray area. One way to find out is go to a reputable gunshop and tell them your interested in one of those Winchester signal cannons and ask them if you need a permit to get one. I can pretty much guess the answer will be a pistol purchesers permit, But I can be wrong. Just remember  New Jersey is not people friendly, And you are guilty until proven inocent, That is why I bail out of there :D

Offline GGaskill

Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 11:37:53 AM »
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=35082468&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=antique%20cannon&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={17BB}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=26&y=7&zz=" target="_blank">NJ definition of "antique cannon"--the phrase "(4)Nothing in subsection a. of this section shall be construed to apply to antique cannons ..." is a ways down in this section.

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=35082468&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=antique%20cannon&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={17C7}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=26&y=7&zz=" target="_blank">2C:39-6 Exemptions--lots of stuff here, mostly law enforcement but some references that appear relevant.

This is the stuff Rickk posted above in a more useful format.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline reddog

Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 11:57:12 AM »
WOW!!!! thanks guys for the input! I'll checkout the link rickk gave me but I think Rays got it right, just about everything in N.J. is agaisnt the law. Boy I can't wait to move to goergia {no permits needed} Again thanks guys for the help. Buy the way I did'nt know slingshots were illeagal. boy ya learn somthing every day!!

Offline reddog

Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »
Thanks Ggaskill. Your post jumped in there while I was typing my last reply. There definitly seems to be a gray area here, so I'll do some more homework. Cant tonight thuo getting ready to go out with the the wife.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 03:11:24 PM »
Quote from: reddog
Thanks Ggaskill. Your post jumped in there while I was typing my last reply. There definitly seems to be a gray area here, so I'll do some more homework. Cant tonight thuo getting ready to go out with the the wife.

Sounds like you've got your priorities RIGHT!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannonmaker

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 06:03:37 PM »
I know New Jersey has strict gun lawn, how is the crime rate?  States with the least gun laws can have the lowest crime rate.

least its still permissable to take the wife out on the town.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 06:04:55 PM »
There are parts of New Jersey that the crime rate is pretty bad.  From what I heard there are parts of Trenton (state capital) that is getting overridden by gang activity. I can go on about my thoughts on the gun control issue and crme rates and I know a majority of you would relate to my views. But this isn't a "politcal forum" besides the "true " facts are known.

Offline reddog

Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 06:27:35 AM »
Camden, Newark, also. Can't wait to move!!!

Offline reddog

Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 04:14:58 PM »
OK lets see if i can figure this out. One law says that an antique cannon {or replica there of} is exempt. Another law states that anything that fires black powder you need a permit, Another law states that anything over .60 caliber{not including shotguns} is a dangerous device????????????????????? Lets see how many times can I spin around in circles before I fall down!!!   :?

Offline GGaskill

Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 08:05:49 PM »
Don't hold me to this but it appears you need a permit of some kind but an antique cannon is exempt from the destructive device classification.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Cannons in New Jersey?
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 03:10:37 PM »
Quote from: reddog
OK lets see if i can figure this out. One law says that an antique cannon {or replica there of} is exempt. Another law states that anything that fires black powder you need a permit, Another law states that anything over .60 caliber{not including shotguns} is a dangerous device????????????????????? Lets see how many times can I spin around in circles before I fall down!!!   :?

That would make a good New Jersey Motto "Jersey spin around until ya fall down" Red you should have entered that in the Motto contest they had a few months back