Author Topic: Zeiss not fully multi-coated???  (Read 759 times)

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Zeiss not fully multi-coated???
« on: February 27, 2006, 06:11:59 AM »
I am starting the search for optics for my new .30-06.  Heard so much good about the Conquest line that I figured I'd check them out.  The product spec. page lists them as multi-coated.  Is this right???  I can't believe that a scope in this price range wouldn't be fully multi-coated.  If that is the case, I think I will stick to my 4200's and Grand Slams.

Am I missing something?
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline akpls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »
The Zeiss website says this:  "Carl Zeiss MC multi-coating on all glass-to-air surfaces for maximum transmission (markedly above 90 %), color fidelity and brilliance."  I'd bet that "on all" is the German way of saying "fully."

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:29:21 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that they are.

Let me put it to you this way, the optics on the Zeiss Conquest are in the same league as the Nikon Monarchs, Elite 4200s, and Leupold VX-IIIs - all of which are fully multi-coated.

Zachary

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
Zachary???????
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »
Zachary, I have a hunch you know the rifle this scope is going on.  I also know you're a strong proponent of the 4200's.  I too am a big Bushnell fan.  However, my latest flavor of the month is the Weaver Grand Slam series.  

Now, unlike most, I could care less about the name...  I have yet to have a Conquest in my grimey little hands.  Are they as nice as the 4200's yet smaller and lighter?  They're nearly $100 more.  Are they worth all that scratch?  My .22-250 wears a Grand Slam 3-9 that I'm very happy with.  That's kinda where I'm leaning.  

My hunting partner is a big Leupo guy.  The VXIII series is nice indeed, but my dumb country boy eyes can't see the difference between it and the GS or the 4200.  However, I am able to see the difference between all of them and the 3200 that my slug gun wears.  

That reminds me of another thing I was able to see.   And that is the diff. between my Pentax DCF SP and his Leup bins.  Now, in all fairness I don't know the model of his bins, but I do know this.  The Pentax was not even close.  Even he was a bit embarussed.  I mean it wasn't even close.  Afrer looking through his Leups and then switching to my Pentas, it was as if someone had just switched the lights on.  

Are the Pentax scopes as nice as their bins?
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 01:48:41 AM »
I have a question for you.  I thought the Pentax was the same scope as the Burris FFII.  I thought Burris made it for Pentax.  I maybe wrong on this one, but I've heard it before.

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 05:43:03 AM »
Ya know, that's a good point.  I hear so little about Pentax scopes.  Why is that?  I have a pair of Pentax DCF SP 8X43 bins that are nothing short of amazing.  I believe them to be the best bins out there in the under $500 market.  It would seem that their scopes would be of compirable quality/value.  I need to find a dealer and have a look.

I have always liked the 4200's, and for the money, still believe them to be the best value.  However, I'm thinking I might like something a little smaller too.  There's also this rediculous notion of mine to stay with the European theme.  The scope is going on a Sako.  Maybe I'll keep my eye open for a used Zeiss Conquest.  Then again, maybe I'll just end up sticking with the Jap. glass.

Offline Zachary

Re: Zachary???????
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 02:22:21 PM »
Quote from: NimrodRx
Zachary, I have a hunch you know the rifle this scope is going on.  I also know you're a strong proponent of the 4200's.  I too am a big Bushnell fan.  However, my latest flavor of the month is the Weaver Grand Slam series.  

Now, unlike most, I could care less about the name...  I have yet to have a Conquest in my grimey little hands.  Are they as nice as the 4200's yet smaller and lighter?  They're nearly $100 more.  Are they worth all that scratch?  My .22-250 wears a Grand Slam 3-9 that I'm very happy with.  That's kinda where I'm leaning.  

My hunting partner is a big Leupo guy.  The VXIII series is nice indeed, but my dumb country boy eyes can't see the difference between it and the GS or the 4200.  However, I am able to see the difference between all of them and the 3200 that my slug gun wears.  

That reminds me of another thing I was able to see.   And that is the diff. between my Pentax DCF SP and his Leup bins.  Now, in all fairness I don't know the model of his bins, but I do know this.  The Pentax was not even close.  Even he was a bit embarussed.  I mean it wasn't even close.  Afrer looking through his Leups and then switching to my Pentas, it was as if someone had just switched the lights on.  

Are the Pentax scopes as nice as their bins?

NimrodRX,

The only bad thing about the GS is that they have very short eye relief.  That's not a problem when mounted in a light kicking rifle like the .22-250 you have, but I wouldn't mount one on, say, a .30-06 or higher.  The Elite 4200s do not have the longest eye relief either, but they are better, on average, than the GS.  The Leupolds, on average, have the longest eye relief (depending on what magnification you have the scope set at).  But the variable hunting scope in the mid-power range with the best CONSTANT eye relief is the Zeiss Conquest 3x-9x-40mm with 4"!

Zachary

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 04:00:47 AM »
The IOR Valdada 4X32 is looking like the scope to beat.