Author Topic: High or low shot  (Read 520 times)

Offline shooterx

• Trade Count: (0)
High or low shot
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:13:48 AM »
Do you guys find that when shooting something going away from you like trap for example, that the pardners shoot high??  High meaning you have to come up from underneath and cover the clay.  Or do you place the clay on the bead making a figure 8??  I really like NEF and H&R guns but I get the business when I go to the club.  I know that teh pump can shoot skeet but I want a gun thats made in America.  I'm medically retired from the Navy at the ripe age of 28 so I really want to spend more time with friends and family in the outdoors and love the thought of a single shot.  The only problem though is where the pattern on my gun is.  I have a 20 ga that I guess is a youth because of a shorter stock and short barrel.  Any help would be great.
Posts were out of line. Seems to be nothing but a trouble maker. Deactivated 3-3-06

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
High or low shot
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:18:40 AM »
I shouldn't reward your "suck" comment but I'll help a bit.  Your gun will shoot high or low based on both your bead/stock and your shooting form.  

To shoot trap targets and other going away and climbing targets you should pull from below them until you cover the target and pull the trigger.  Of course "trap" guns have high combs and angled ribs to compensate for this effect.  With them you can see the target and still shoot at climbers.

My experience has been that new shooters consistently shoot under trap targets if they shoot quickly and they shoot over them if it takes them too long to get on target.  

I don't own a single shot, and I don't understand other people's affinity for them, but all guns have some variablity among point of impact.  Pattern your gun, and go shoot.  See what happens.

Offline jgalar

High or low shot
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »
This is reposted from the "you guys suck" topic...

You want a gun to shoot high for shooting trap because the birds are rising. What will work is installing a Morgan pad on your gun. The pad adjusts up and down to change where the stock fits to your cheek. Install the Morgan pad on the gun and place a couple of quarters on the back of the barrel. Adjust the pad so that when you mount the gun the bead just sits on the top of the quarters. This should get you close to where you can keep the bird in sight above the bead.
You could also build up the stock using moleskin. I'm talking about the stuff you buy for your feet. Cut and install increasing sizes on the stock to build it up. It will work fine, but doesn't look so hot.

It is normal to have to "cover" the bird when shooting trap with a field gun. Raising the stock will make the gun shoot higher. Either the Morgan pad or molskin will do the trick. With the Morgan pad you can set the gun to shoot high for trap and also set it back for field use very easily.