Author Topic: New Ultra 25-06  (Read 839 times)

Offline jmckinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
New Ultra 25-06
« on: March 12, 2006, 07:52:43 AM »
:D On Tuesday I ordered a new 25-06 and will have it in a week or so. I wish now I hadn't sold my first one. Has anyone put thw Choate stock on their rifle? Now the other problem I am facing is the scope. I'm torn between a Weaver K-6 or a Redfield Tracker in 3-12x44. I need to keep the scope at around a $100.00. It hurts to be a poor teacher sometimes!!!!! Any input on this problem?

Jess :grin:
Jess

Offline rifleman61

• Avid Poster
scope25/06
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »
In the hundred dollar neighborhood, actually just next door $20.00 more is the BSA 832/44MDIR available from SWFA for 126.00 simolleons.  It's an absolutely great scope and will deliver target/tactical accuracy.

Anchor's Away/Semper Fi
CPO Bull

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 03:44:37 PM »
The Choate stock is nice and I am happy with mine. If you order it from Choate themselves, make sure to ask for the adjustable cheek pieces. I believe they are around $5 or so a piece.
As for scope, that Weaver you are looking for is a nice one. What is your intended use for it? Deer, varmints, ?
-Aaron

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 04:31:35 PM »
Jess, PM or email me. I have a BSA Contender 8-32x40 with AO, in the box, that might interest you, and I'm in Albuquerque too.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 04:40:09 PM »
:D Gentlemen thanks for your replys. Myamour I intend to use it aross te board, varmints, deer, elk (cow) and deer along ith a few paper punches as well. CPO Bull I was an E-7 in the USAF myself, my Dad served in the Navy in WWII as a First class. Daughter and oldest son Army grads. My first rifle was a track driver hope the new one is the same. Tim the 44 Mag 3-12x44 maybe the way to go, but I sure do like the Weaver. Thanks again guys. Jess
Jess

Offline rifleman61

• Avid Poster
oldboysnetwork
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 10:44:29 AM »
Hey my brother
E-7 in USAF, is that the same as Sgt. 1st or MSgt.?  I have a nephew in USAF Spec.Ops he's a career man, was In Iraqi Freedom attached to 101st--A/B as a spotter saw some real "stuff" go down.  My sister is angry with me a little bit as I encouraged him to go career.
I always as a habit close out with that epilogue.  I am a 36 year retired member of the Navy/Marine Corps combat team, two tours on the "rivers" in V/N, volunteered, not drafted.  Your old Dad was in the "Navy" in WWII; now's there's a real man.  Tell me 1st Class???? BT/MM/BM or GM???  My hat's off to him.
My son is Navy career a Cdr. select teaches at SWOS in NewPort/RI.  When things went up over there he was a part of the MineWarfare  Group that swept the mines to Basra so the Brits could get in there
One nephew is with 1st Armored in Iraq [3rd tour we're all scared as hell about this one; it's supposedly his last]
One nephew has been selected for WestPoint because of his Iraqi service
[in the Navy we call that a "Mustang" he came up through the ranks]
One nephew is in my beloved Marine Corps/Armored in Iraq
None of us are "heroes" we're all just hard boiled "Lifers" we're in it for the haul.
I will remember your father.

Anchor's Away/Semper Fi
CPO Bull

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 03:17:51 PM »
Choate stock is nice for bench shooting. May not be the prettiest tactical style stock but its functionality makes up for the loss.

Put one on my 25-06 and I can now shooting more comfortably which justs leads to accuracy. Seems to fit the barrel great from the factory too and I like the vent holes where it meets the barrel. :D

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 04:10:01 AM »
The new Simmons prohunter is the best scope for the buck!  :D
I have the Choate stock on my 243 handles well and shoots well, just aint much to look at.  8)
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 04:49:21 AM »
Coop, do you have a new prohunter and are you happy with it? I haven't read any hands on reports yet that are great....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=88290

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127041

Well here is my first impressions on the new Simmons Master Series Scopes.

I am not really familiar with the new line yet, but I believe the following to be correct.

Old name: Aetec
New name: Aetec

Old name: 44Mag
New Name: Prohunter

Old name: Prohunter
New name: Prosport

I compared the old prohunter to the new prosport. The old prohunter wins hands down in brightness. When you look thru the new Prosport it is a dirty brownish/yellowish color, where the old prohunter is clear looking. When looking at the snow, in the Prosport, looks like my son peed on it and the old prohunter it is bright white. As for feel, the Prosport feels very cheap. The tube wall thickness is thinner in the Prosport compared to the old Prohunter.

Now I compared the 44Mag to the Prohunter. I see the same results as the above comparison. The 44Mag wins hands down again in my opinion.

As for the Aetec, I did not have an old one to compare, looking thru the new Aetec, it is clear and bright. Snow looks bright white. The scope seems shorter than the old model with very little mounting space between the turret and the start of the bell. Tube is much more sturdier than the Prohunter or Prosport. It comes with the sunshade with is a nice little feature.

Conclusions, the old Prohunter and 44Mag seem like much better scopes than the newer models. The Aetec is a nice scope, being clear and bright. Would not hesitate to consider the Aetec.

I guess I am just spoiled looking at all these different scopes, like the Conquest, Monarch, Elite 4200 and even the Buckmaster.

TheOpticZone's Sig:Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
info@theopticzone.com  

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 06:05:05 AM »
RM61.  You and your family have my respect.  Job(s) well done!  Thank you all.

EVOC ONE

Offline Bldr Bob

New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 08:22:48 AM »
I have a Redfield 4-16x44 on my 243 ultra and love it.  I know Redfield has gotten a bad rep. lately but for the money I like it alot better than the Simmons 3-9x40 I have on my 22mag.  They are both good inexpensive scopes, I just like the Redfield better.  Of course with the improvements they both made this year the Simmons looks pretty good.

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:34:10 AM »
Tim, I have one on my Howa 1500 .308.  Just put it on about 2 mos ago.  So far I love it.  I have the old prohunter on a sig 25-06. And the new one is brighter and clearer has longer eye relief and multi coated optics.  Several mags have had the new one field tested with excellant results.  They have change the erector tube I dont know all the details but its suppose to be a better mouse trap. Uses spring steel I think instead of springs. Redfield is being resurected with same technolgy but they are hard to find.  :grin:
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
New Ultra 25-06
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 09:24:45 AM »
Jon's direct comparison kinda put a damper on my interest in them, and I don't have much confidence in the gun rag write ups, I think they get pre-production models that have received more than production quality control, they don't buy em off the shelf like you and I do. When I see others with good reports on em, I may get one myself. So far, yours is the first one with no problems I've read about.

thx

Tim