Author Topic: Best fixed 4X??? Jon, Zachary, anybody???  (Read 1121 times)

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Best fixed 4X??? Jon, Zachary, anybody???
« on: March 03, 2006, 08:41:14 AM »
In the next few months I will be putting optics on my recently acquired Sako Finnbear .30-06.  The rifle is circa 1979, wears iron sights (which are staying on), a traditional military style leather sling, and has a pretty decent piece of walnut.  The rifle meets all of my requirements for being a “classic.”  As such, I have decided to put a fixed power scope on it.  

The rifle will primarily be used in Michigan’s north woods for whitetail with an occasional foray out West for elk and mule deer.  

I have become a big fan of the Weaver Grand Slam series.  As such, I’m taking a hard look at their 4.75 X 40.  The 4.75 seems as though it might be a nice compromise between the 4X and the 6X.  Other considerations include Leup and the Monarch.  However, there’s a part of me that feels such a rifle should sport European glass.  I know, kinda silly, but I’ve already become kinda sentimental about this rifle…  

In your experience, what others should I be looking at?
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline safari

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:34:58 AM »
The Grand Slams have excellent glass and would serve you well, as would the Nikon Monarch 4X, either of those would be a toss up, depends on the "look" of the two you prefer. If you want the best fixed 4X, look at the Khales 4X36 or 6X42 models, European glass, 4A reticle or duplex, and would look nice atop a Sako. The price is double of what the Nikon is, but you get one heck of a nice piece of glass. Bad thing is Jon at the Opticzone doesn't carry Khales, you'd have to shop around, Cabela's, among others carry them.  If it were me I'd just order a variable power Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X from Jon and some Signature mounts  and call it good. I do like fixed powers, but the versatility and quality of the Conquests are hard to beat. Find a retailer that you can compare some European scopes to the Leupolds, Grandslams, etc. and go with whatever you feel looks the best when you pull it up to your eye. Eye relief, asthetics, and confidence in the right scope  are worth as much as anything.
Hope this helps-

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 04:11:23 PM »
The Weaver Grandslam comes only in matt finish( I have one on a Ruger
77 308 win) I agree with Safari, a Khales sure would be nice and a Leupold would look good too. :D

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »
Yup, I did some checking, that Kahles C4X32 4A is a peach.  It gets GREAT reviews.  The FOV at 100 yrds has nearly 15 ft on the Grand Slam 4.75.  I just can't find one to look through...  As if I'm going to be disappointed looking through a Kahles.  

Best price I found on the Kahles - $530.

Best price on the Grand Slam - $240.

Call me crazy, but I'm actually considering holding out for the Kahles.  It will take me another six months, but...  This rig is fast becoming my only North American big game rifle.  I want to do it right, the first time.  

Austrian glass, Finnish rifle, & an Ole US farm boy at the helm.  What a beautiful contradiction...  [/img]
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 04:21:25 AM »
Anybody have any experience with Valdada optics?  The price and specs. looks nice and they get good reviews.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 08:44:54 AM »
NimrodRX,

The best fixed 4x is going to be between the Leupold and the Nikon Monarch.

Zachary

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 10:32:27 AM »
Small mortgage gets you a Schmidt and Bender :eek:
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 03:46:32 AM »
Zeiss is coming out with a new Conquest 4x32 that sounds very interesting.  It maybe something to check out when they are available.  They are scheduled to be release sometime around May.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline harvester

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 07:27:54 AM »
opticzone - do you have any opinion or experience with the valdada's?  i just bought one.. thanks

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 08:13:29 AM »
Sorry, I have not seen or dealt with any of their products.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:36 AM »
Quote from: TheOpticZone
Zeiss is coming out with a new Conquest 4x32 that sounds very interesting.  It maybe something to check out when they are available.  They are scheduled to be release sometime around May.

Jon,

That DOES sound interesting.  The 3x-9x-40mm that I bought from you a while back has been awesome.  Do you know if the fixed Conquest 4x-32 is going to be in matte or gloss?  I would imagine that they will only come in matte finish.

Zachary

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 05:25:41 AM »
Zachary,

It will be matte.  They are also coming out with the following.

4x32
2.5-8x32
1.8-5.5x38
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:34:42 AM »
If you want to carry out the classic theme, consider the fact that in 1979, bells and eyepieces were quite a bit smaller in diameter than they are in the current crop of scopes. I have an old Springfield sporter, professionally built from the ground up. Beautiful rifle, lovely wood. Thought I'd upgrade the scope so I put a modern 3X9 on it. Just didn't look right. I put the 1940s vintage Weaver K4 back on it and it looked great again. You might check out some compact scopes and see what you think of them.