Author Topic: Muzzleloader scope?  (Read 530 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Muzzleloader scope?
« on: February 24, 2006, 02:03:47 PM »
Just purchased a new muzzleloader.
Haven't shot it yet....in fact I've never shot a muzzleloader before period.

I really didn't intend to scope it but I have a feeling my eyes and the fiber optic sights aren't going to get along together.

If I do wind up needing to scope it, I'd prefer just a 4x fixed power scope.
I really don’t need anything more and I don't care to make a big $$ investment in optics.
The reality is I may not get the opportunity to hunt with it much, if at all in some years.

Never having shot a ML before, I really don't know what kind of punishment it might exert on a scope.
Any recommendations on a low to mid-priced fixed power scope that'll hold up to a muzzleloader?
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
Muzzleloader scope?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:21:24 PM »
Weaver K4  4x  its a very good scope.

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Muzzleloader scope?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 04:27:14 AM »
Agreed.  The Weaver K4 will stand up to anything your ML will hand it.  Tough, quality scope with a great warranty.

FWIW, I hunt in your neck of the woods.  In my experience, you might want to consider something with even less power.  Realisticly, a 150 yrd shot with your ML is a LONG shot, most of mine have been inside of 100yrds with only a few beyond.  Just not a lot of long pokes in the MI woods.  At least not where I'm at.  

The first scope I ever put on my ML was a 3X9.  That lasted one season.  Even at 3X, I felt over scoped.  Pulled it off and put a 1.5X6 on it and I'm much happier.  A lot of my ML shots are taken in low light at that time of year and the lower power helps tremeandously with gathering light.  

Just something to think about.   Your needs/wants and style of hunting may be entirely different than mine.  For a fixed 4X - the Weaver K4
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
Muzzleloader scope?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:40:29 AM »
in my unpro opinion i'd actually say a 1.5-5 shotgun scope. good range of zoom and compact. either Simmons and Bushnell run under $100 and both at Gander Mt.
and FYI i got the SImmons and it's a great scope, i'd like to sell it if your interested.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline JD338

• Avid Poster
Muzzleloader scope?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 04:29:56 PM »
I have a Leupold M8 4x with the heavy duplex reticle on my M700 inline.
It works well for late season WT deer here in MI. I have had no problems with the scope.

JD338