Author Topic: 980 ultra slug/sb2-980, 45/70?  (Read 364 times)

Offline lefteyedon

• Trade Count: (0)
980 ultra slug/sb2-980, 45/70?
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:18:10 PM »
I have a 980 ultra 12 gauge sluggester. Which is basicaly a 10 guage with a 12 guage rifled bore.  The frame is sb2-980 (from the nef website). If it is a sb2 should itn't be able to handle a 45/70 barrel?
 NEF does not fit rifle barrels to 10 gauge frames, my question is why not?  

Any ideals?
Lefteye
cheyenne
Mom, can I use Dad's deer rifle to shot pigeons off the watertower?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 12:02:23 AM »
The SB2 10ga frame is STILL a shotgun frame.  It is not made as strong as the SB2 rifle frame.  That is a little deceiving because of its designation...SB2.  The only barrels it can be fitted with are other variations of the 10ga or the Heavy barrel Ultra Slug 12ga.  There are some people around here who regularly use their SB1 frames with certain caliber rifle barrels.  DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  It is not recommended by H&R.  

Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 05:39:05 AM »
Welcome aboard, Lefteye!! Even if a rifle barrel could be safely used on the 980 frame, it wouldn't fit due to the physical dimension, as I recollect, the 10ga frame is bigger.  Then, the pressure differences tween shotguns and rifles is substantial, the highest SAAMI pressure for any shotgun gauge is 14,000psi for the 3½" 12ga, rifle pressures are double that figure...

Tim

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lefteyedon

• Trade Count: (0)
barrel does fit.....
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 10:11:03 AM »
I got the cart in front of the oxe by buying a 45/70 barrel for it. I installed it last night on the frame and it "fit". I have not checked the headspace and will shot this thing until it is checked.
  The barrel fits the action though the forestock is almost  totally free floated.  I believe that the sb2-980 frame is differant from regular 10 guage frame.  Could a hardness test on the frame reveal whether or not the frame is a rifle frame with a shotgun barrel?

A trapdoor springfield was not a strong action and "IF" I do decide to shot this thing I would limit it to low pressure loads.

Of course I may just have to buy a rifle frame.
Lefteye
Mom, can I use Dad's deer rifle to shot pigeons off the watertower?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »
There's nothing wrong with having more frames and the best way to get em is to just buy another rifle!!! I'm at 16 frames now and there's still room for more!!! If you just want a frame there was a late model SB2 frame in the classifieds for less than $100 shipped. If you can, get one made '99 of later, H&R increased the frame strength then and it can be used with any centerfire caliber they make.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain