Author Topic: Barrel Fitting JB Stik is awesome! With Pics  (Read 319 times)

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Barrel Fitting JB Stik is awesome! With Pics
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:02:20 AM »
Hello all, don't know if any of you read my last post and disappointment with JB weld:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=88278

picked up some JB Stik after reading Frem M's website (he used Devcon Steel Putty).  The JB Stik worked really well and has a high compressive strength, short cure time, and ease of use.

I was fitting my 17 rem barrel that came from ebay/trotterlg on this forum and removed everything off of the lug, including trotter's old shim and started from scratch.  Removed the ejector assembly, roughed up the surface with the dremel and even "pinged" it a few times with a punch to get a rough surface.  Sprayed the works down with brake cleaner.

Then, flamed the barrel face so I could check for a smooth/tight fit and FIRE!!! :eek:  :eek:  :eek:   Brake fluid is FLAMMABLE!!!

Just kidding, I made that part up for fun :lol:  :lol:

No fire.....   Later I checked for fit and took a smooth file to it to take off the high spots, did the same on the latch engagement.

Cleaned up everything again, I needed a release agent and wasn't happy with spraying some PAM in there so I had an idea  :idea:   A little Carmex (mostly wax), a Q-tip, and a toothpick made quick work of covering the surfaces for release, it would be bad news to "weld" the gun shut.  Spread the mix on the lug put the barrel on the receiver and slowly pressed the action shut until the latch engaged fully.  Left it sit for 10-15 minutes as it is supposed to by mosly cured.  Opened it up and took off some of the extra that pressed out and reassembled.  Let sit for a few hours.  Checked it out and this thing locked up so tight that a .001 feeler guage wouldn't slide out of the action without really pulling on it.  I like it :grin:   Here's some pics of the final result:

and my helper, Loki:

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne