Author Topic: Finally! A weekend alone with the new Handi  (Read 353 times)

Offline shootinscot

• Trade Count: (0)
Finally! A weekend alone with the new Handi
« on: March 12, 2006, 08:59:39 AM »
Hi all!

I finally, after 2 weeks' wait, got a chance to go to the range with my new 30-06.  My shoulder's sore, and there's a big ol' smile on my face - I'm hooked! :)

After getting it sighted in, I put up the easy-read target at 100 yards and got 4 out of 5 within 2 inches grouped together - that's with the forearm resting on a sandbag and me holding up the other end - plenty of reason for the one wild shot!  Clearly room for improvement there too, but that's why we keep shooting, right?  This was, BTW, with Magtech 150 grain ammo - the cheap stuff, or at least it was cheap at the shooting range where I got it...
I also shot the 150 and 168 grain Cor-Lockt Remington, but it did not seem to like that as much...the Winchester Super-X 150 grain silver-tipped also worked well, got the same 2-inch groupings with those, but WOW were they expensive!

Only 2 things made the weekend less than perfect - first, several different types of ammo left the brass stuck in the breech, and I had to get the cleaning rod out (lucky I had it there) and tap the casing out.  Very annoying.  It was like every 3rd round that this would happen.  I know I saw a post on how to notch out a place for you to pry it out from the breech end - looks like I gotta go look that one up.

Second thing was, there was about a 5" swing at 100 yards where the shots would go - it seems like after the barrel warmed up, everything hit the target 5" lower than before - I started the afternoon, for example, and put 4 in the target dead-center, and one off by about 4 inches.  Then I set down the 30-06 to try out the 22 at 100 - just to see how it would do (not as impressive, BTW - I can group them within 6 inches, but no better) and, when I went back to the 30-06, everything was going in low - same ammo brand, and very consistent.  Should I be looking at bedding the barrel?  Any other cause?

It could also be me, of course..."don't forget the nut behind the butt" as my friend here says :)  
But I do think I'm doing everything the same - I could see some off shots as my concentration wavers, or as my shoulder hurts more...

Anyway, just wanted to tell y'all how it went, and the only other big problem I have is...what's the next one going to be???  Maybe a 270?  308?  Hmm....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:55:55 AM »
Welcome back, Mike!! :D  Read the FAQ and Help sticky, all your answers are in there including the extractor notch which can be found at one of Fred's links. Polishing the chamber and keeping it clean and dry will go a long way or eliminate stuck brass. If you want inexpensive, but good ammo, try the Federal Fusion 150gr, it has an excellent track record in Handis.

Trigger pull follow thru is mandatory for consistant accuracy, the transfer bar must be in position for a good pin strike and the only way to make sure that happens is to pull the trigger all the way to the rear instead of releasing it at the break. This will become second nature after you have practiced it a while.

Most Handis don't shoot their best with the front rest under the forend where you would normally place it, put the rest just ahead of the trigger guard and you should see an improvement. I wouldn't bed the forend until you shoot it some more, you can always do that later if you need to. Take an O-ring with you next time you head to the range, you can try that first to see if that offers any improvement, O-ring info is in the FAQ also.

Not which one, but which "ones" is the next question, consider the 26" .25-06 and .280 barrels too!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shootinscot

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advice, and the part about putting the rest just ahead of the trigger guard instead of on the forearm is something I would never have thought of! :shock:

I've been trying to make sure I do the follow through like I've seen posted here - I think I'm doing it right, but as you said, I'll keep practicing.

I have not seen the Federal Fusion at the range I shoot at, and they (and I can see why) have a "shoot only what you buy here" policy - but again, I'll have to look again to make sure I haven't missed it.

I'll also look at the info on the O-ring - thanks.
You're right - I really would like to try out the .25-06 and the .280...look out, I may have to get into a 12-step program.  So many calibers, so little money... :)

Mike

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:07 AM »
Mike,

"Shoot only what you buy there", ???? That certainly eliminates any handloaders, doesn't it!!

Polishing the bore as well as the chamber has benefits also, it will reduce range time with less shooting required for the bore to "season", some barrels will require upwards of 200 rounds and some a lot more before best accuracy will be attained. Bore polishing is covered in the FAQ also. :wink:

Yup, it's addictive, I have 16 frames and 26 rifle barrels now and I'm still lookin for more!! Have a .35 Remington barrel in transit from my gunsmith right now, should have it Monday, I'm really looking forward to shooting it!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain