Author Topic: Survivor vs Synthetic?  (Read 482 times)

Offline Mattkc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Survivor vs Synthetic?
« on: March 12, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »
I'm looking for a 223 coyote calling gun and I'm considering a Handi.  The Superlight would be great but I've read of to many problems with accuracy.  So now I'm looking at the Survivor and Synthetic with the sporter barrel.  The thing I can't figure out is why the Survivor, with a 22" bull barrel, weighs a pound less then the Synthetic with sporter weight 22" barrel .   A pound my not seem like much but after the double spinal fusion I had this year every once counts.  I would go with the Survivor but it looks muzzle heavy and I don't think I could get a good cheek weld with the stock.

Offline jmckinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Survivor vs Synthetic?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:54:52 PM »
:D Mattkc I have a flutted 223 and I love the stock. It is a pure joy to shoot and  would highly recommend this stock to you. I just ordered  an Ultra in 25-06 and will put the Choate on it too. In fact I want 2 or 3 more Handi's and i'll be using that stock on all my rifles. Hope you enjoy the rifle and the stock works for you. I know the back problem to bad disk and 2  degenerating vertabre that are beyond repair. I feel your pain right were the cheeks meet the pillow. :grin:  Jess
Jess

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Survivor vs Synthetic?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 03:40:02 AM »
I'll second the Choate stock and forend, I have 5 of them , 2 Fluted Varmit's, 204 and 223, and I put them on my Bull barrel 22-250, Survivore 308, and my 45-70, which really helped with recoil.

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Survivor vs Synthetic?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 04:10:20 AM »
Matt,
  If you're looking for a good cheek weld, get the Ultra Varmint Fluted 223.  You can purchase cheek pads for this stock.  I’m not sure where you can get them, but I know Quick does.  A little help please Quick. :D

Your other option is to get the Survivor and build up the comb. This is what I did, and I love it.  Here's a link to another thread where 2 of us have done it.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=83590&highlight=comb#

BTW, I don't understand how H&R weighs these guns either.  From the look of the Ultra Fluted, it should be lighter than the Survivor.  I mean, that's the whole point of fluting a barrel right?

Hope this helps.
RackWrangler
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Survivor vs Synthetic?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 05:23:36 AM »
The cheek pieces are available from Choate for $11...

Tim

Standard

High
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain