Author Topic: Barrel Fluting  (Read 631 times)

Offline Luv2huntbirds

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel Fluting
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:24:21 PM »
Hi Gents,

I am new to the forum and the rifle.

I purchased a SB-2 in the .280 Rem. off of Gun Broker. I am trying to build a light weight back country mule deer rifle. I have found a light weight synthetic stock and have scoped the rifle with a Leupold VXII 3X9 Ultralight weight scope. But I am still at about 6.75 lbs.

Has anyone ever had their barrel fluted? If so, could you pass along your results regarding the weight reduction and its effect on your groupings. I realize that I could cut the barrel down, but I like the 26" lenght. Or, has anyone changed the contour of their barrel? Any thoughts would be really appreciated. If you have had succesful work in this area would you be so kind as to pass along the name of your smith?

The reason I am trying to reduce the weight so much is that I really hit this type of hunting hard core. I hunt by myself, no one else is willing to take the abuse, and last years pack weighed in at 72 lbs. and the first days hike was nine miles.  I was using a high end bolt action and light weight gear. But this year I vow to go lighter, along with a cache of grub and gear.

So if you can help out a crazy old grunt I would really be greatful.
Thanks for your time. Oh. I will not be able to reply as soon as I would like, I will be on the road for the next three days. Thanks again.

ST
Life Member of the NRA

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Barrel Fluting
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »
I would say that if you have a scoped handi at 6.75 pounds you are about as light as it will go.  I have a 22 Mag handi with a 19 inch barrel and a 2.5X pistol scope on it and it weighs 7.5 pounds.  You may gain a half pound with the fluting and could trim an inch off the barrel, but you are most likely close to the practical limit now.  You may be able to use a survivor stock and trim out the excess web material, and remove some material from the forearm, a wood one may be lighter than a plastic one, especially if you remove a lot from the barrel channel inside.  Problem with making a light handi is that the receiver is kind of heavy, and there is not much you can do to it to reduce it's weight.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Barrel Fluting
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:12:14 AM »
Welcome aboard!!!  :D  Ask Mike at Dtech on the fluting, he claims a 1/4 to 1/3 of the barrel weight will be removed with his technique....

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/mili%20Guns.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Luv2huntbirds

Barrel Fluting
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »
Thanks guys.
I gave Detech a call but he really did not seem to be too interested in the work. Said he really prefered to work on AR's. Maybe I am as light as I can go...
I remember seeing a post regarding a smith in OR, does anyone remember the gents name and or contact info?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Barrel Fluting
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »
Wayne York, he does excellent work, I've had several barrels rebored and/or rechambered by him. He doesn't list fluting on his price list, but he does mention he will quote prices on services not listed.

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoregunsmithing/index.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Barrel Fluting
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 09:19:10 AM »
ready to rock at 6.75lbs!!!! leave it alone or have a 3 year old carry it for you
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Luv2huntbirds

Barrel Fluting
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:34:48 AM »
Quote from: mitchell
ready to rock at 6.75lbs!!!! leave it alone or have a 3 year old carry it for you

Have you got one for rent?

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Barrel Fluting
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 10:37:01 AM »
Quote from: Luv2huntbirds
Quote from: mitchell

Have you got one for rent?

You take me with you and I'll carry your rifle.  :grin:

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Barrel Fluting
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:01:26 AM »
no l2hb i don't i'm a little young for that , but if its 6.75lbs how much lighter do you really need
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while