Author Topic: info on .357 Max reamer?  (Read 714 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
info on .357 Max reamer?
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
Does anyone know the whereabouts of the .357 Max reamer? I have been thinking of doing my .357 Mag barrel. I currently can shoot up to .360 DW's out of it but picked up 10 rounds of .357 Max ammo this weekend and tried it in my gun, it seems it only would need about .10" to chamber a .357Max round. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
357max reamer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:26:21 PM »
:grin: Andy, this may be a dumb answer(question?), but have you looked in the FAQ's? How are things at the Cape? Hey, I saw a 12 ga. Survivor at a recent gun show for $99. NEW. Why didn't I buy it? Did you buy the Md. 162? Does any of this make sense? Hunman55 :D

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
357 Maxie reamer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 01:26:47 PM »
MSP Ret  Leftover DJ had the one I used, PM him I think he will take
 care of you. Unless some one kidnap the reamer.
 I think that is the thing with 357 Mag.Just MHO.
 I think it improved accerce with mag and spl. ammo
 best of luck Andy.
 Marv.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
info on .357 Max reamer?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:28:38 PM »
Sounds like you've kind' a made up your mind  ol' Buddy.   I say "Go For It".  If ya only need to take out .10",  you may not even have a noticable difference in firing the Mags.  That would be sweet too.  Good Luck.
Rich
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
info on .357 Max reamer?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I really have not made up my mind yet but am serious about the possibility of doing it (if that makes any sense), I was interested in if you guys thought it might hurt the accuracy I now get with .38 Specials, .357 Mags, and .360 DW's? I thought I had read somewhere here that sdome have found it did not hurt the accuracy with those and in some cases it may have even improved the accuracy all across the board....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
info on .357 Max reamer?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »
Andy, I don't know if this is pertinent, and of course we all know that different guns are ... well... different  :wink:

I have a 357max (factory) and have shot all three sizes in it. The fear I had was that the 38spl wouldn't be very accurate, because of what I've read... but in fact they are definitely 'plinking' accurate inside 50 yds.

Don't have any paper evidence to share, but cans, plastic bottles and clay birds get what's coming to them when using 38s in the Max.

And as far as I am concerned, I ain't gonna be shootin' much else with 38spl loads anyhow.

Good luck with yours - if you decide to go for it.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
info on .357 Max reamer?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 03:51:54 AM »
Thanks again guys, and Kerry thanks for the info. I am chagrined that I was chastised and made sport of on another section of posts here but never the less will continue here on this site as long as I am allowed. I never realized that voicing one's personal opinion and disagreeing with a change could be considered on the same level as a crime against the state. I also never realized it is evidently frowned upon if a member here (myself in this instance) visits or joins another shooting site, something I was chastised for!!!. I sincerely hope this is not my last post here. I do not wish to be kicked off, I still believe it is the best site for we H&R buffs and has the finest bunch of guys around and in the highest concentration, but as in life there are bound to be a few that don't quite reach the same level of the majority, your buddy, and hopefully not the late, MSP Ret...Carry on!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline ddhotbot

• Trade Count: (0)
info on .357 Max reamer?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 07:03:30 AM »
let me know if you would be interested in splitting the cost of a reamer.i want too do a 357 max barrel also.thanks don

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
No leaving
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »
:grin: Andy, no one wants you to leave this forum. You're too valuable here and are needed here. So hang tough! And you didn't answer my questions. Your friend, Hunman55

Offline rockrat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Avid Poster
357max reamers source
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 04:00:02 AM »
If anyone decides to buy a reamer, I saw on Dave Manson reamers website that he had 357max reamers for $60.  Thats where I got mine from and just rechambered  a 357 barrel yesterday.  Took all of 5 min. and part of that was taking the extractor out and replacing it.  Snowed last night so gonna be awhile before I see how it shoots , but the throat is alot shorter than my 357 max factory barrel (.110" vs .350") which would pattern, not group.  Its gonna be a 356Win. real soon!!
Its not that Life is too short, its that Death is too long!!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
info on .357 Max reamer?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 01:50:04 AM »
I haven't been following this thread, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I bought one of the 357 mag barrels, and after I saw what passes for a throat in them I knew I'd need to make it a max to clean up some of that. I just bought a .381" chucking reamer from MSC (after measuring the chamber and determining that's the size of it) and lengthened the chamber with that. After polishing it out, it works great and is super accurate. By doing this, I only spent about 15 bucks and didn't take a chance of creating excess headspace like using a 357 max reamer would do. Don't know if others have tried this, but it worked great for me.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
info on .357 Max reamer?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 11:18:23 AM »
Nobade -- that is excatly what I did and it made the best acreat handie I have. A new cal with only 20.00 I am out of. I will admit I had a friend who is a machinest doing it but it was so easy a do belive a 3yr old moron could do it. Being the first time I have atemped someing like that I did do a lot of masuring but most of it was a waste of time. If I ever deside to do something like that agin I won't slow down.
from Tennessee---Paul