Author Topic: It's Sunday...Time to 'Fess Up  (Read 887 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
It's Sunday...Time to 'Fess Up
« on: February 19, 2006, 02:22:57 AM »
It's a known fact how most/all of us feel about our Pardners,Toppers and Handis.  Now it's time to 'Fess Up.  How many of you out there have purchased or intend to purchase a Pardner Protector or similar pump shotgun for Home Defense and/or a Survival firearm.

Let's be honest here, there are situations where a quick 'Follow-up" shot could save a life...and we all know that.

Come on now, be honest...it's Sunday!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 01:14:14 PM »
I like the Pardner Pump that I bought a few months ago, but I prefer my handguns for personal protection.  

That's not to say that I don't keep the pump loaded and within reach of my wife while she's sleeping.

There's no better deterrent than the sound of a pump gun being cycled.  It'll make the bad guys wet themselves on the way out. :-D

The way things are set up in my house, she knows that if something happens all she needs to do is slide out of bed onto the floor and grab the pump.  The bed is between her and the door, so she just needs to rack one into the chamber, point it at the door and yell a warning.  If the door opens without a reply, blast it.  Anyone that knows us, knows better than to try and sneek in. :twisted:

RackWrangler
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 02:17:49 PM »
In a true hd scenario I'd take the 870 in a heartbeat. There is a lot to be said though for the familiarity and simplicity of the topper.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline navyredneck

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 02:21:02 PM »
I have an USH for deerhunting but I'm interested in a pump turkey gun/home defense 12 guage.   Is it easier to buy, say, the NEF pardner pump turkey and use it without the turkey choke for self defense or...  is it easier to buy a regular pardner pump and buy a turkey choke?

I may be out to lunch but I think the turkey choke wouldn't work for self-defense  (the whole point-in-general-direction and pull the trigger).

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 12:06:51 AM »
navyredneck
When ya get home from the Hunt, just switch out the choke for one that is more open, on that turkey gun.  Problem solved!  Only takes a minute to do that and then you're all set.  
Go for the turkey gun.  Nice camo job on them, too...at least in the catalog pics.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
H&R's China-Pump will never tale the place of the American made, synthetic stocked Mossberg 500 in my gun cabinet!

As far as inside home defence goes, that job falls to another American made firearm, a stainless S&W model 60.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »
Cureently,  the only firearms in my home are ALL H&R single shots.  OOOPS,  I do have an antique 16ga Riverside single shot in the closet.

I guess, for me, 'Which Brand?' is a gray area.  Just like it is with cars.  Do ya buy OWNED in America...or...MADE in America.  What if the sales of the "china pump" was one of the things helping keep the doors open at H&R?  Just a question, guys, please don't get out the spitt and charcoal.
And then,  there is the $200 difference in price to consider, too.  It's a little different than going to the local shop and payin' $20 more than Wally World Pardner 12ga.  See what I mean about it being a GREY AREA.

I don't need to worry about it right now, anyway, as I am savin' all the extra for a Lam Stock limited addition H&R.  

I will give this, Brett, if money were no issue, Mossberg...with out even thinkin' about it.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 01:51:58 AM »
Keep your eyes open at the gun shops and pawn shops in your area.  Good deals on 2nd hand Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 pumps pop up pretty regularly.  You could probably have one for the cost of a new 'China-Pump'.  Both are well proven designs and very reliable. Personally I would rather have either of them in a second hand than a new China-Pump, not so much due to their country of origin as to their proven track records, especially if the gun will be used for home defence.  If I'm stairing down an armed intruder across my living room the last thing I want is for my shotgun to jamb!  The other consideration is that there are tons of after-market accessories for the Remi's and Mossbergs.  Do a web serch and you will see what I mean.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 04:15:01 AM »
No one mentioned that you can buy a Maverick 88 Field Model from Walmart for the same price around $150.
I could be wrong about this, but I believe that the Maverick is just an old Mossberg design, kinda like a Stevens 200 is basically a Savage without the Accu-Trigger. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88field.htm

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 09:06:49 AM »
I have a Maverick 88 that I use for small game and Crow Hunting.  It's OK, and defiantely not a 500.

IMO, if you are going to defend your home with a firearm, do it right.   Using a single shot weapon (even a shotgun) is asking for trouble.  99% of folks have never been in a shoot or be shot situation.  It's going to be stressfull, mistakes are going to be made, and having an immediate second and third shot will do nothing but enhance the probablility of your survival.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
The main reason I own mostly single shot weapons is that they have kept me honest.  What I mean by that is I don't hurry the shot.  I feel it is to my advantage not having a semi-auto with a banana clip attached as far as my mind set is concerned.  I also keep my firearm out of immediate reach.  I like having the extra time for my brain to work.  My shotgun is in the corner of the bedroom so I have to get out of bed in order to get at it.  This buys me time to realize what I'm doing.  Having only one chance forces me not to waste it.  It also helps me not to make a terrible mistake.  It keeps me honest.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 05:34:37 PM »
one$$shot,
You said that real well.  Sometimes I get long winded and use too many words to get my idea out.  Its like you were reading my thoughts.  Thanks
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 07:29:18 PM »
Quote from: one$$shot
The main reason I own mostly single shot weapons is that they have kept me honest.  What I mean by that is I don't hurry the shot.  I feel it is to my advantage not having a semi-auto with a banana clip attached as far as my mind set is concerned.  I also keep my firearm out of immediate reach.  I like having the extra time for my brain to work.  My shotgun is in the corner of the bedroom so I have to get out of bed in order to get at it.  This buys me time to realize what I'm doing.  Having only one chance forces me not to waste it.  It also helps me not to make a terrible mistake.  It keeps me honest.

I respect your opinion, I really do. Especially in a hunting situation. But..me..in this situation of self defense, I'll take a Pump or Semi-Auto anyday. To each his own  :toast:

Offline kylongbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 05:47:26 PM »
If I miss him with my SB2 10 gauge, it can be just as lethal when swung like a baseball bat.  Have you seen the size of this barrel?

But seriously, I do have the trusty 9mm with a 15 round clip tucked neatly under my mattress just in case.  This is my first line of defense in all reality.

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
Home defense
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 01:18:39 PM »
:grin: Guys, an SB1 receiver fitted with a short forend, pistol grip , and the 22 in. Mod choke youth barrel would do it for me. Legal, of course and an old model Colt Detective Spec. for backup. Hunman55