Author Topic: Hunt prices!!!  (Read 597 times)

Offline slide-flipper

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunt prices!!!
« on: February 12, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »
I was just looking at Jim Shockey's website for his Yukon operation.  I was absolutely blown away!  Maybe I'm just naive, but I can't see paying in excess of $16,000 for a moose hunt.  I could buy a whole HERD of grain fed beef for that AND a couple of freezers just for the steaks!  It's cheaper to go to Africa for a multi-species plains game hunt...  I guess it really is getting to be where hunting will only be for the rich even in North America...

slide-flipper

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
Hunt prices!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 05:50:57 PM »
It is amazing how some people can throw away money like that, isn't it.  A guy I graduated from high school with has a "game farm."  He has the rich folks pay him big $$$$ to shoot a bull elk in a 20acre enclosure that has a single tree in it.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline grde

Hunt prices!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 02:43:43 AM »
It is not amazing; it is disgusting.  

I grew up hunting on small farms and timber company land in West Virginia.  I think I was 15 or 16 before I ever even had an opportunity to take a shot at buck.  This however, was a learning experience.  It taught me the most valuable skill that one can have--patience.

These guys pay $10,000 and up to pull the trigger.  They have to do little or no scouting, and at a great number of these outfits there is little or no walking involved.  Someone drives them up to a box stand in the morning and picks them up in the evening.  

The most incredible thing is that this type of "hunting" is primarily what is shown on the outdoor shows.  And people wonder why hunters get such a bad name.  

While I am on a rant.  Have you ever noticed that about 80% of the guys on those shows are obese?  I am by no means a small guy, but alot of the guys on those shows appear to be seconds away from a majoy coronary event.  Again, we wonder why people have such a bad image of hunters.

Offline FWiedner

Hunt prices!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:36:21 AM »
I think that you're absolutely right.

Only thin, poor people should be able to hunt.

It's just not right that American citizens should be able to spend their money any old way that they want to.

And for that matter, nothing that doesn't include my favorite way of doing it should be called "hunting".

If it doesn't take years to find, you're not hunting for it.

:evil:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline grde

Hunt prices!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:40:52 AM »
I never stated that only thin people should be allowed to hunt, I merely stated that there seems to be an overabundance of what appear to be unhealthy individuals represented on the outdoor networks.  

Nor do I suppose to regulate how someone chooses to spend his or her capital.  However, this does not necessarily mean that I have to agree with how they spend it.

I happen to think that these canned hunts, and that is exactly what a number of these high end outfits offer, present a negative image of hunting in general.

Ultimately, the addage: to each his own, applies here.

Offline slide-flipper

Canned hunts are not what I'm getting at...
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 02:03:15 AM »
I really don't think that Shockey is running a canned hunt or an easy, no-walk hunt.  I do think 16K for a hunt (not including your transport to and from the Yukon) is just crazy.  Maybe he is the top-end outfitter in the area.  Perhaps some others are cheaper.  Elk hunts can easily hit 10K or more.  Deer hunts in Texas are exorbitant too.  I can see paying an outfitter to take me up in the mountains and provide transport (horse or mule), a camp, food and a guide AND I know that they all have to eat to.  I have horses and know how much we spend on them every month and I know that when you throw in a plane or two and some boats, then your operating expenses just soar but still... I guess I just won't be going on any big hunts unless some big sponsor wants to do a story on a no-name, non-author to go and try out some of these hunts that the authors get to go on for free.  Did anyone see the issue (forget the mag) that detailed everywhere Shocky hunted last year???  Had to be a couple hundred $K in expenses there.

slide-flipper

Offline rockbilly

Hunt prices!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
:D Thats like the 2500 dollar cowboy hats and 10K boots, some fool with more money than brains will pay the price.  It is unreal to see what some folks pay to hunt West Texas, heck after two-three years of leasing they could own the land and have some other sucker paying them. :wink:

Offline Questor

Hunt prices!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 03:15:46 AM »
It shows to go you: It pays to shop around! I think I could easily get four moose hunts for that amount.
Safety first