Author Topic: Alaska hunting and fishing  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
Alaska hunting and fishing
« on: November 15, 2002, 03:15:24 PM »
Since I suggested this, I will be brave enough to go first.

I live in Valdez AK.  Have a 21 foot Seaskiff. In the summer I fish halibut, cod and snapper.  In August we start with silver fishing all over the sound.  August 1 is also the start of deer season on the islands.  Black bear starts around the 15, sorry guys no grizz.  You have to be a guide of first kindred to do that up here.  Goats area also a possibility.  Once October hits the hunting is iffy, depending strongly on the weather.

I have the summers off till the beginning of August, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks in March.

Spring black bear starts as soon as the snows melt and we have plenty of them.

Would love to try a bow hunt for elk, mule deer or am open to suggestions.

I hope that this is enought to get this going.  I know a lot of you guys would love to hunt in other places but just do :D n't have the connections.  Hopefully this site will provide the opportunity for all of us to expand our opportunities.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline DB Leath

• Contributor
Alaska
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 10:07:42 PM »
Hey Dave.
  Wish I had something to swap. Best we have here are small deer and sometimes hogs.
  I did a fly in Caribou hunt in 94 and loved it. I sure envy you guys up there. I ll be back someday.
  We flew out of King Salmon was there for 8 days. too long a  hunt for Caribou. only took 2 days.  
 Thanks for starting up this area
Cliff in Texas
SASS #49681
SBSS #1201
Ya have to back your brothers play

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 09:19:50 AM »
Hey Dave,
Doesn't goat hunting have the same guide requirements as grizz and Dall Sheep? :?

Offline Daveinthebush

OOOOOP'S
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 03:08:06 PM »
Jack you're right!  Sorry guys no goat hunting! Thanks Jack for reminding me :D
I guess that I was so excited about the new forums I missed that.  I don't have a wife to correct me all the time so I appreciate the help!

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 05:38:47 AM »
Dave,
Regardless of the oversight, the Sound and Big Islands group are some of the most incredible places in the world to hunt deer and black bear.  The silver fishing is absolutely incredible at times and there's nothing like hooking into a big halibut on the flood.  Your area is one of the most unique places in the world with unparalleled scenery and outdoors experiences.

Offline Daveinthebush

The Sound!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 01:23:30 PM »
Jack:  I gave away 900+ pounds of halibut last year alone.  I took 2 friends out and in two days they took home three coolers of fillets.  I brought my son up this year and on the first day here he caught a 50+ and me 147+ pounder.  The weather kept us off of the halibut the remaining 9 days but we limited on silvers almost every night.  

Yea it is awesome out there. I just wish that I could get out more often. My boat is still in the water, I am hoping for some deer hunting.

Next year I will stay out all of the first week of August and deer hunt.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Interested in elk in Arizona?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2002, 03:02:36 PM »
Dave,

If you may be interested in bow hunting elk in Arizona, send me an e-mail and I will talk with you about it.  

It's a drawing for the permits and could take a few years or get lucky like my son did last year and get drawn the first time he applied.

Offline rimfire

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
AK Hunt and Fish
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 03:32:12 AM »
Would love to work out something for a hunt in Alaska.  From what I know about AK I propbably cannot do it justice, but I could try.

I live in Western, New York.  We have excellent Spring and Fall Turkey hunting, impressive bowhunting for Whitetails [gun season is too crowded and less of a quality experience for me to offer], and rabbit hunting with my beagles.  Chatauqua Lake near me offers good Walleye fishing and Musky fishing.

Sprint Turkey is the entire month of May, closes at noon each day, and the limit is two birds.  The Walleye fishing is quite good in May also.

Bowseason is mid-October through mid-November.  The whitetail rut chasing period is usually in full swing around here 1st or 2nd week of November and I see a few impressive bucks each year within 30 yards of my stand.  Hunting with a recurve I don't shoot at many as my range is 15 yards maximum!

Fall turkey is also open those last few weeks of deer bowseason, and the turkey population around here is the best I have ever seen anywhere.

I live in a log cabin in Cuba, NY and could put you up as necessary.  If any of this interests you we could correspond and talk of the possibilities.

I am interested in AK both for the visit itself and fishing or hunting.  Maybe you could share some advice on arranging a vacation in the warmer months with my family that is not the typical tourist trap thing.
Be honest with yourself.  Can you guarantee you would hit a paper plate at 250 yards...100 yards...50 yards?  Then you have no business replacing the plate with a live animal.

Offline buffaloman

• http://www.webopus.net/whitehorse
Fabulious Duck hunting & Steeleheading
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 07:47:42 PM »
:D I am able to offer several hunts and a fishing trip.  I work part time in Anchorage 2 weeks a month. The other 2 weeks, I work my business and my bison ranch in WA. I live 1/4 mile fromthe Sauk river , one Washington's best steelehead rivers. Its a tributary to the Skagit. In March and April the large native steelies return. The fishing is diffucult and time consuming. While the fish are big , up to 20 pounds, they are tough to find so you have to realy work. I have a 16' inflatable to use. Personally I fly fish but don't care what tackle you use. Only one catch, All wild fish have to be returned. This is a catch & release season. I can also offer to show you ( guide you) onto some of the best Duck hunting on the west coast. In Dec & Jan eastern WA usually has a large number of birds in the " Basin" . A triangular area between Vantage, Moses Lake and Othello plus a few other nearby areas. The limit is usally 7 birds a day. The pheasant season is still on in Dec. but number of birds are way down.

I would be interested in a spring bear hunt. or maybe a fall bear hunt. I used to live in AK and have sucessfully hunted sheep, moose and caribou. Not interested in either now becuase I have a bison ranch and shoot 5-10 every year. If you are interested I might trade a buffalo robe or skull for something too. I don't recommend shooting mu buffs. Its more like shooting a cow. No wonder the herds were almost hunted to extinction. They are not afraid of man. I could definitely get you with 6' of a 1800 pound bull if you wanted though. email me at tretmk@earthlink.net

Offline ranger11c

Alaska for Montana
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2003, 10:40:10 AM »
If your still interested I could take you on any number of great hunts here in MT.  The deer hunting, mulie or whitetail, is outstanding here in NE Montana.  If you don't care to rifle hunt I also bowhunt and could line up a hunt on private ranch ground where you will be the only person hunting.  What I would like to do is hunt moose and possibly also caribou (not a must).  I can e-mail recent pictures of deer harvested if you interested.  Get back to me -- The license deadline in MT for deer is March 15 each year!!
Nate ---- luv2carve@hotmail.com

Offline armymp71

How about a whitetail bow hunt in Missouri?
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 01:19:17 PM »
I am coming up to Alaska in May for a grizzly bear hunt in Perryville, then I am flying back to Alaska and we want to do a black bear hunt. last year we went to Homer and did a boat hunt, lots of fun but we were too early. I did manage to get a 4 1/2 bear with a great coat. As far as what I have, not a lot of land but some good bucks frequent the areas I have stands in, only problem is that it's during bow season and I am not that good with a bow yet. I had a nice 12 point just out of range. Anyway, I have a log cabin with all the ameneties. I can send pictures of whatever you would like to see. I live close to the airport so I could do all transportation.

Offline buffaloman

• http://www.webopus.net/whitehorse
Valdese Bear Hunt
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 04:29:01 PM »
Dave I am interested in a spring black bear hunt. I've been told that May 15 is a good time. Did you read my earlier offer of a duck and goose hunt or a steelhead trip? The steelheading especially in the late spring time is the best. There are earlier winter runs which are catch and keep for hatchery fish. No natives can be kept at any time now. ( Watch out for ESA).  Duck and goose season is best in December and January. The absolute best time for goose hunting is the last week of the season in January. You can hunt seven days a week instead of three. Its the last crack at the greaters and disturbing their routine wont drive them out of the state if it was the earleir part of the season. We can hunt both the Columbia River or the pothole areas. Which ever you might prefer.

If you are interested I can also offer a buffalo shoot. I can't call it a hunt becuase the property is too small and they are fenced. I slaughter 5-8 animals a year in the winter. I could offer you the shot, the skull, horns and hide as part of the swap. If you want some meat, we normally sell that. The meat runs about 550-650 hanging weight per animal at $5.50/ lb. You pay for the cut & wrap. What do you think?? BTW no licence, tag  etc. for the buff.
You can respond to tretmk@earthlink.net if you get this. I'd like to know you have at least received this message. Thanks

Offline Daveinthebush

Oop's
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 07:06:29 PM »
Buffaloman: I some how missed your post back in April.  Don't know how.
In Valdez in the fall you can limit out on Silvers, limit 6, in a couple of hours ovver here.  We have one of the best silver runs around.

Ducks, geese and buffalo sound interesting.

I will send you a PM tomorrow. :grin:

Offline WV Cowboy

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 02:01:33 PM »
Hi Daveinthebush. The wife & I hunted Buffalo in S.D. last year. What buffaloman says about no difficulty to the hunt is true. We had no trouble getting close enough to take mine with a Smith 500 mag. I will say that it probably is as fine of a meat as I have ever ate. I recommend it just for that.
Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.
Life member NRA
Life member NAHC
Life member WVBH
Life member BOA

Offline jbruning

trade...
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 05:20:03 PM »
Any interest in hunting waterfowl, such as Ducks (Mallards, black ducks, ringnecks, bluebills, etc. ) , Canada Geese, or Snow Geese?? Let me know, we can work somethiung out. I am located on the eastern shore of Md.              -John Bruning

Offline brianrull

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 01:53:45 PM »
Illinois Spring Turkey & Fall Whitetails on private farmland.   PM me your email address and I will send you some pictures of the longbeards and bucks we have taken the past few years.  Meals, lodging and guide (me) included.[/img]