Author Topic: 12 ga. truck/trail/campin' gun  (Read 1828 times)

Offline tg

• Trade Count: (0)
12 ga. truck/trail/campin' gun
« on: April 26, 2006, 08:42:50 AM »
haven't been here for awhile but it's a great site if you're into nef's; esp. shotguns (which i am.)  there's just somethin' about the basic simplicity of an h&r/nef singleshot.....don't really matter if it's a rimfire, shotgun, or centerfire.......that appeals to me, and obviously other folks as well.  sure there's shinier, more expensive and more re-sellable guns, but still there's just something addicting about an nef/h&r. and they really lend themselves to tinkering.   here's my question:  there's been several posts about chopping  a 12 ga. pardner down to 18.5 inches  for an all around woodswalker/truck gun.  the main objection usually.....which is legit......is the inpractability of an open choke 12 ga.  so what i'm wondering is, can a 12 ga. barrel be cut down to 18.5" and threaded (by a gunsmith) for a modified screw-in choke?  yeah, sure it'll cost as much as the gun; but that's not my question.  i've already got a nice synthetic pardner with a 22" youth (modified) bbl. on it, but i wanna go shorter while still retaining some sort of decent paterning.  is this feasible?  thanks for your input....................tg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »
it's an easy job for any competent gunsmith....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »
My truck/walking around gun is a 22"barreled,12ga survivor that has a standard synthetic stock. I thinks it might be the best combo. I love it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 11:10:47 PM »
The 12ga would be the least expensive gauge to do this with...according to the Smiths I have talked to, it is the gauge that is most popular to have choke tubes installed in and more folks have the equipment to do it.  Sounds like a great idea to me.  

H&R has a youth model 20ga w/synthetic stocks and choke tubes, new this year.  I will be getting on of those barrels or maybe just get the whole gun.  I do have a 22in 12ga youth barrel that I was thinking of have tubes installed on, also.  I would go for it.

How much different is the handling in regards to recoil with a Survivor or Tamer stock?  Does the pistol grip make the recoil more managable?  I know some have stated that they easily shoot 1-handed with the 20ga.   I am not really lookin' to do that, just wondering how things change with the full pistol grip on a 12ga.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline tg

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 02:28:09 AM »
i had a survivor stock on my 22" 12ga. but didn't care for it for a couple of reasons:  the shorter LOP, and it was pretty brutal with no recoil pad.  if there was a way to put one on it would solve both these problems but i don't see how it could be done.  i wish they came with a recoil pad......i'd probably prefer it just for the cool factor.  i might try a survivor forearm instead of the regular synthetic one that's on there now 'cause i often get my index finger on my left hand whacked  on the sling swivel stud.  (i tend to place my hand pretty far out on the forearm and can't seem to break the habit)  the sling stud on the survivor forearm is on the end and shouldn't be a problem.  i'll post some pics when i get the project completed.  by the way......did anyone ever get their pardner or handi rifle project guns professionally refinished?  thanks for your input.........tg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 09:56:41 AM »
Try a slip on Limbsaver for the Survivor stock. I personally like my Survivor stock on my .22 Mag coyote gun, but no recoil there. H&R refinishes recievers in either blue or case hardened colors and also reblues barrels very reasonably. Not as fancy as others perhaps but the price is right. I would think if you polished a barrel or reciever before sending it in to them for a reblue or refinish it would come out niceer....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline tg

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »
what size limbsaver slip-on did you use on the survivor stock?  the one i have on my synthetic regular stock is a medium, but because the survivor is kind of square shaped, does it fit ok?   thanks.....tg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 03:26:51 PM »
I don't have one on my survivor stock since I don't need it for the .22 Mag, although it would also increase the length of pull (LOP). I do have a small size limbsaver slip-on on another Handi I have ant it fits well. Tomorrow I will try it on the survivor and let you know how it fits. In the meantime you might try the medium on the survivor to see it it fits well....<><.... :grin:

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »
While living and fishing in Alaska I made up this little 12 gauge for a truck/carry shorty. While not a NEF, one could be done the same. Barrel cut to 20 inches, which removed 4 inches of barrel and old choke. Redfield rear receiver (off Winchester model 94) fitted with appropiate front sight. After putting 6 or 8 rounds thru it from the bench had the recoil pad added. Was planning on the screw-in choke after I finish a couple other projects. Now mostly carry it on the dash of my truck (or my 20 inch 45-70, depending on time of year.)

Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 04:16:54 AM »
now thats a nice looking "truck gun" for the woods. From birds to beasts, with the right ammo you have them all covered!!....<><....  :agree:

Offline tg

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 09:38:57 AM »
just dropped my pardner off at the gunsmith's to have the barrel cut and a mod. choke installed, along with a fiber optic sight.  i found another site with some pics of a similer gun:  type in : NEF Uber Tamer Camp Gun and check it out, it's pretty neat. will post some pics of mine in the near future......thanks again for your input.     tg

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:23:37 PM »
This is somewhat similar to a project I hope to start (complete?) this summer .......

I have a .308 Handi-Survivor, in which I'm going to transplant the store-stock and store-arm to a 12 gauge Topper or Pardner.

Plans are to cut the 12 Ga bbl to 18 1/4 inches and equip it with a .45/70 insert-adapter from McAce Sports out of Anchorage, AK.  I'm also considering of getting a gunsmith (a VERY compitent one of course!) to solder a set of "express sights" on that barrel top, too.

In the Store-arm I can store at least four two-inch 12 Ga aerial marine or boating-type flares (red ones for signaling 'distress').  In the Store-stock I can store at least a dozen two-inch length 12 Ga hunting shells (#6's or 7 1/2's) not unlike the mini-shells available from Aguila, but I plan to reload my own with data that's published and easily available.  I also plan to carry four to six 12 gauge slugs as well.

Some commercially available 12 gauge slugs generate 3000 foot-pounds of muzzle energy!  Plenty to kill a bear?

Also at least five to eight .45/70 cartridges will be carried too, but since I haven't worked out all the details in how to carry ammo ....... well! .......

But the express sights are an effort to better aim the .45/70 rounds.

Also for carrying ammo is the sling that loops can be sewn onto, but I also a have a 5-round piece of plastic from a Tac-Star Side Saddle accessory I'll adapt to affixing to the left outside of the Store-stock.

The whole idea with my project camp/truck/survival gun is having a weapon than can kill a grizzly (biggest threat I preceive) at somewhat close-range, or some self-defense, or hunting for camp/survival meat including big game, not just grouse or birds.

I will of course be carrying a .357Mag revolver when carrying this gun, so having a first [.45/70] shot to deal with a bear isn't totally unreasonable.

The mini-12 gauge shells should have the range of a 28 gauge or slightly more.

The McAce .45/70 insert/adapter is fully rifled and 18-inches long!  Should give more performance than a T/C Contender with a 14 or 16 inch bbl!

Offline tg

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 06:39:02 AM »
hopefully here is a link to a picture of my completed truck/trail/campin' gun project: tell me what you think....tg

Offline tg

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 06:45:34 AM »
here's a better pic of the choke and bead.......tg