Author Topic: What type Ammo?  (Read 749 times)

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
What type Ammo?
« on: October 22, 2005, 02:50:28 AM »
What type of factory ammo would you guys reccommend for self defense in the home, for a springfield 1911-A1 in 45ACP

Offline rockbilly

What type Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:33:09 AM »
:D I like something on the mild side.  If I had to shoot someone I wouldn't want the bullet to pass through the body and possibly hit another family member or destroy mama's 200 year old grandfather clock.

Just my two cents worth. :D  :D  :D

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
What type Ammo?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:05:34 AM »
I use these in both my 38 spl and 45lc , You may want to take a long look

http://www.corbon.com/index.php?uid=12665&page=1993

Serious stopping power  :evil:
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
What type Ammo?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 01:44:30 PM »
Hornaday, Federal, Winchester and Remington all make excellent police and defense loads for the 45 ACP.  Most have velocites above mil-spec which is the accepted standard.  I suggest the one with the flattest nose that functions most reliably in your pistol.  

Practice so you can hit where you point and forget about the grandfather clock.  Your life is worth more than that.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline chevyfan1a4

What type Ammo?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 07:07:13 PM »
hydra-shok's or gold dots

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
What type Ammo?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:16:57 PM »
Winchester Ranger if you can get them (CDNN carries them from time to time), if not, SXT or Gold Dots.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
What type Ammo?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 05:34:03 PM »
Another vote for Speer Gold Dots.  I test ALL my defensive ammo, in every caliber I shoot, and they have exhibited excellent expansion and accuracy.  Bullets recovered from wet newsprint and milk jugs look like the ones in the ads.  I carry them on duty, and all my troops do too.  I insisted.  Silvertips in most calibers also do well, but the 357's are too stiff in my experience.  Remington Golden Sabers are good in some calibers, less than wonderful in others.  Hydra-Shoks are good, pricey, and proven.  But I still put my faith in the Gold Dots, because I've NEVER seen one fail.  YMMV.  

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
What type Ammo?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 06:02:30 AM »
No matter what bullet you choose, you have to bite the bullet and shoot those exspensive rounds to ensure reliability and accuracy out your individual gun. Even if a friend has the exact same model gun as you and his shoots that bullet well. I know a lot of people who shoot the cheap stuff all the time and have their good mags loaded with a premium bullet that has seldom been shot. They will probaly work just fine but probaly aint good enough.