Author Topic: Discussion with my son  (Read 477 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Discussion with my son
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:47:40 AM »
My son learned about the Colisseum on Rome yesterday at school and I asked him about it. In addition to the architectural features, he told me what we all know about the various spectacle killings that went on there. I told him that I didn't see a difference between that and what we so commonly see in television, movies, and magazines today, and that the only differences were technological.

For instance, I gave examples of the Arts and Entertainment cable channel on which nightly is shown sights that include real dead people shown close-up. These include slashed throats, bullet holes in foreheads and the powder tattooing that  indicates a very close range execution murder, decapitated bodies and their accompanying heads, partially eaten cannibalism victims, rotting bodies of disinterred cadavers including the insect lavae consuming their heads. Then there are the popular movies, which while dramatizations, are still reacted to as if real. Television shows dead bombing victims including blood-spattered dead children. The History Channel shows dying and dead soldiers in footage and still photos of actual battles.  Meanwhile, the daily news is dominated by the exceptions in the world, which typically include real murder, rape, war, famine, scandal, and catastrophe.

At the colisseum however, the distances from the spectacle were quite long. Most of the specators would have been able to see the struggle, a falling body, and perhaps some blood, but not much more.

My question to my son was "which is more barbaric?"  He said it would make for an interesting discussion in school.

What do you think?
Safety first

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Discussion with my son
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 07:24:46 AM »
Hmmmm..let's see...are we talking abot the few freemen who fought as gladiators...or the thousands of captured soldiers,slaves,criminals..that were butcherd,maimed,eaten alive,for the pleasure of the people attending this barbaric blood sport...and if so...are you trying to say there isn't a difference between this but only them means of which they were dispatched..and comparing them to the attracities that the daily news shows...and what is shown in todays video games???????

Did you explain to him that killing people for Sport...is wrong and the distance that the people were sitting would not have stopped the smells imminating up from this mostly enclosed space....and with all the movies and games that show this type of thing..it is ACTING...not  as what those folks went thru....there...people really died for the pleasure of the crowd..it wasn't make believe...there is was done for pure fun...not like the pictures/videos of actual war...Which is more barbaric...?..This actually needs to be asked?

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Questor

Discussion with my son
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 07:50:47 AM »
My point of view was from that of the audience, not the victim. It is the audience that is deriving satisfaction from the misfortune of another. Whether it's "for real" or due to suspension of disbelief wasn't the issue.

I would imagine that you could catch a whiff of things from the arena in the colisseum, but that's one heck of a big stadium.
Safety first

Offline Daks

• Contributor
Discussion with my son
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:38:22 AM »
Knowing it isn't really true, that it is all an act, is the difference. I like science fiction "creature feature" movies. I'd have a much different reaction if I was really being chased by a big ol' spider.