Author Topic: Need Help Narrowing Choice of Revolver  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Mainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Need Help Narrowing Choice of Revolver
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:05:54 AM »
A local gun dealer just sold an AMT Auto Mag II I had on consignment with him, so I'll be getting at least $300.00 from that sale.

I intend to apply the proceeds to purchase a revolver.

I have plenty of .22s, a snubby .38, a Ruger Police Service Six 4" .357 (fixed sights), and a Ruger Bisley Vaquero 5.5" .44 Mag. (blue/case hardened) (plus some autos).

My price range is $600-$650, max.

I can't decide amoung the following:

Ruger .32 Mag. Single Six.  Appealingly cute.  Fills a niche between the .22s and the .357/.44.  Seemingly great for lots of cheap shooting.   If accurate would be great for popping woodchucks in the back yard.  This also would be a back-up home defense gun (after the bigger stuff had been shot dry).

Taurus snubby .44 Spec.  Great personal protection gun (I think far superior to .38 Spec.).  I already have dies and bullets.  Would be fun for shooting at the indoor range.

Ruger .44 Mag. in 5.5" Bisely Vaquero (this one in stainless) or Redhawk or 7.5" in Bisley, Redhawk, or Super Redhawk.  I already have the dies.  This would be a combination hunting/plinking/home defense gun.

Ruger .357 6.5"stainless Blackhawk or 6" stainless GP100.  I already have the dies.  This would be a combination hunting (deer, maybe coyotes)/plinking/home defense gun.

Smith & Wesson 4" or 6" .44 Mag.  Combination hunting/plinking/home defense).

I know the above list is long and diverse.  But that's the problem.  Finite resources.  Many wants.  Thanks for your help.
NRA Life Member

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 06:09:42 AM »
Smith & Wesson 4" or 4" .44 Mag. Combination hunting/plinking/home defense).
and you can shoot .44spl.loads in her...
but any way..it gets my vote.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 06:32:34 AM »
I'd go with the Smith and Wesson. Quality is far better. That caliber is very versatile. I'd pick 6" for versatility.  If home defense were a higher priority, I'd get something else entirely, like a 357 snubnose and enough ammo to learn how to use it.
Safety first

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 06:42:27 AM »
Interesting to already have 2 votes for S&W.  For home defense, I'm in favor of .44 Spec. over .38/.357.  Trust, me whatever I get I'll shoot the snot out of.
NRA Life Member

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:05:43 AM »
My vote is for the Smith & Wesson 4" or 6" .44 Mag. :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »
I posted my recommendation largely because I have had total satisfaction with S&W revolvers. They're the best. The only guns I have ever sold have been Rugers and no new ones are forthcoming. Taurus has had its ups and downs for quality. Service from S&W is really good to. I broke one once (my fault) and they did a great job of fixing it.
Safety first

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 12:02:43 PM »
A 4" 629 or 29. It doesn't get any better in a revolver!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 03:35:46 AM »
I think the 6" SS GP 100 357 is the best revolver made,,,,,,,,period!

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »
As weird as this may seem, the choice is probably between a 6" GP 100 and a 6" or 6.5" S&W .44 Mag.  

Poncaguy:  You obviously like the 6" SS GP 100.  Can you tell me more about  your experience with it??
NRA Life Member

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »
As weird as this may seem, the choice is probably between a 6" GP 100 and a 6" or 6.5" S&W .44 Mag.  

Poncaguy:  You obviously like the 6" SS GP 100.  Can you tell me more about  your experience with it??
NRA Life Member

Offline PaulS

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 01:02:20 PM »
I would go with the Ruger too.
I have seen Rugers abused beyond the limits - and even seen a Super Black Hawk blown apart from years of loads that were so hot that the cases had to be pounded out of the cylinder with a hammer that the guy carried in his range bag for that purpose. Even THAT gun was replaced by Ruger for only the cost of shipping. I know of no other company that backs their product even when they should not. I have a six inch Ruger  revolver that I have shot since I was 21 (35 years ago) in everything from plinking to 3 years of Hunter's Pistol competition. I have put well over forty thousand rounds (yes 40,000) through it and the only chamge that I have noticed in the last 30 or so years is that the trigger pull is a lot better than it used to be and the groups are smaller now than when I was competing. The timing is right on and rock steady. I tried all the little tricks to get it to shoot better and ended up putting all the Ruger parts back in and doing a polishing job on the trigger years ago. It is still not as easy or smooth in double action as a new Smith right out of the box but it is comfortable in my hand, puts the lead where I point it, and I doubt that I will live long enough to ever wear it out. I still use loads that are very near the max - with H110 they have to be - and I haven't had a failure to fire with factory or handloads since the second year that I loaded for it. I have only two human friends who have been with me as long as the Ruger has been and I trust that Ruger as much as I do them.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 04:53:53 PM »
My GP100 is only the 2nd double action revolver I haved owned. My first is a 8" Dan Wesson 357. The GP is more accurate and very easy to fire rapidly because lack of recoil (barrel rise). I going to buy a 4" this spring for easier carry, and use the 6" for hunting. Check out the ruger.com forum, everyone raves on about the GP, even beter than the Smith's

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 06:15:16 PM »
:cb2: You've got .22s, .357s, .44s—go with something different just for fun. Go to the S&W website, and take a look at the S&W M21 in .44 Special. That's a classy looking gun! And soooooo much better than that South American thing. Or, go with the .41 mag. That'll be a pleasant surprise if you've never had one. (See if you can find a .41 Mountain Gun!)

.32 mags, are "cute" but it's kinda on par with a .38 Special, and you'd be duplicating yourself powerwise.

Good luck! Let us know what you get!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 02:05:46 AM »
Old Griz:  I love the concept and classic looks of the Model 21 (for those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's a blued N-frame revolver chambered in .44 spec., with wood grips, a 4" barrel, and fixed sights).

The only thing that would stop me from buying one is if I could only get one with the gold "Thunder Ranch" logo on the right side of the frame.  I'm not bashing Thunder Ranch, but that logo is just too tacky on an otherwise very subdued handgun.

Indeed, apparently S&W has just come out with a Model 21 Thunder Ranch (same idea, but in .45 ACP).  The M21TR doesn't have the tacky golden logo, but instead has a small TR shield carved into the grips.  Much more subdued.
NRA Life Member

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
:D You can buy the Ruger and have a good shooter, or you can invest in a firearm by purchasing the S&W, have a quality gun, good shooter, and it will retain it's value much better than the Ruger. :roll:

Offline darrell8937

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 10:26:50 AM »
I perfer Dan Wessons,, have owned all the big names and ended up with a stable full of Dan Wessons and BFR's..It is nice that there is such a large selection of revolvers to choose from. Good luck.. and damn did i get cold in Maine.. and stay off the ICE. Take care..brrr.....

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 02:29:34 PM »
Darrell:  Saw a Dan Wesson a few months ago at Howell's Gun Shop in Gray.  When back later to look it over and possibly purchase it, but someone had snapped it up.  It appeared to be an 8" .44 Mag. in stainless.  I see that CZ is marketing the new Dan Wessons, but they're more than I want to spend.  Regards, Mainer
NRA Life Member

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 05:14:48 PM »
:cb2: Mainer;
The one I saw at my local dealer did not have the Thunder Ranch garbage on it. It was just plain and classy looking. Really hard to pass up.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 02:28:35 PM »
The choice has been made.  Today I ordered a 6" S&W 629.
NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 02:44:57 PM »
Excellent choice!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 06:42:35 AM »
you know, overall, S&W has always had a great quality control rep over most companies, but the ruger sixes are no toy.  I know people who have had them for decades, and they still shoot sweet as any brand new smith.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 08:42:47 AM »
First off I bought my first sw model 500 it's the only smith revolver I've ever owned and I will say this it pretty much shoots it self but as far as being as tough as a ruger revolver I don't think they will hang I've seen many a smith 629 get hammer by loads I developed in my super black hawks and super redhawk that rattled apart a few 629's. so I will say this if you want fine gun that you aren't gonna load top the hilt, get the smith but if you are gonna load it to the hilt and aren't totally worried about it being pretty all the time go with the redhawk.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
simplicity:  I've got a .44 Mag Bisley Vaquero I can use if I decide to load any really hot stuff.  The 629 will be for .44 Spec. and run-of-the-mill .44 Mag. loads.  I just want a moderately big, sweet shooting revolver I can use with mild-to-moderate loads. :D
NRA Life Member

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 08:37:54 AM »
If that is the case by all means go with the SW 44mag hands down.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 04:07:22 PM »
The 6" 629 came in.  After a quick cleaning, I put 112 rounds through it at the 50' indoor range.  (100 240 gn LSWC light handloads, 6 rounds 200 gn .44 Spec. Speer Gold Dot, 6 rounds 200 gn .44 Spec. Winchester Silvertip).

I am in love with this gun.  Beautiful workmanship.  Double action trigger pull is a tad heavy, but very smooth.  This gun shoots as well or better in double action as my 5.5" Bisley Vaquero does in single action.

The single action trigger pull on the 629 is unbelievable.  It's so light and smooth I was startled and almost put the first single action shoot off the paper at 50'.

The Gold Dots and the Silvertips both grouped about the same at 50'--about two inch six shot groups just to the left of a 2" bullseye.

Now for holsters, speedloaders, and, down the road, a set of wood grips.

I might have to sell some other guns and buy a whole family of these 2.5", 4", etc.
NRA Life Member

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 05:41:33 PM »
:cb2: 50"? Wow that's 4.16666 feet! Mighty short range!

Just kidding—we know what you meant!  :-D
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »
Whoops, guess I shouldn't compose posts after 10 PM. :oops:
NRA Life Member

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2006, 05:19:13 PM »
Mike Venturino wrote an article a few months back calling the 44 Special the "Cartridge of the Century", and at first I was skeptical, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with him.  So does Clint Smith.  And a few others who could have picked something else, but didn't.  Personally, I think it's the best thing out there.  I've loved and enjoyed 357's, 41 Mags, 44 Mags, 45 ACP's, and many others.  But if there's one do-it-all, good for just about everything round out there, the 44 Spl gets my vote, too.  I own a 44 Mag, but I load it like Elmer did, as a hot 44 Spl, 250-grain slug at about 1200 fps.  It will do anything a handgun round should be asked to do, and doesn't beat you up or scare the wildlife for a mile around.  It tends to be VERY accurate, and comes in some delightful guns, both large and small.  I think progress has reached the end of the road, as far as handgun cartridges go.  And it ended about a hundred years ago!  Now if I can just find a decent Smith 696 to buy, I can die happy.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?