Author Topic: Creeped out by Dan Wesson?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Creeped out by Dan Wesson?
« on: February 28, 2006, 03:45:37 PM »
Every time I've thought of buying a Dan Wesson revolver I've backed out of it. I know they're great revolvers and they have all the attributes I like. Can't figure out why I never bought one. Have you experienced this too?
Safety first

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:28:15 PM »
Is it that wicked looking spur on the inner hammer that punches those primers? In all fairness, I dont know if the Dan has this.

Offline Feldhege

• Avid Poster
    • Universal Sight
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 02:39:39 AM »
Come to the dark (blue) side. Once you get one you won't be able to stop. So far I have the 357 pistol pack with 3 barrels and a 44mag with 2 (soon to be 3). They are reliable, durable, and VERY accurate. They are also pretty inexpensive for what you get. Try one out and if you don't like it someone else will buy it. After my 6" barrel purchase (coming soon) I will start on my .22 caliber pistol pack.

http:\\www.universalsight.com\images\dwfamily.jpg

Robb
If your best was good enough today....
It won't be tomorrow.

Offline Special Ed

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 06:28:25 AM »
In the past I wouldn't touch one because the company was always going  bankrupt.
A friend had one in for service on one of these occasions, they cashed the check & never fixed the gun. By the time he got it back (he was lucky) it cost him $100.00 for NOTHING.
I know they are under good solid ownership now. Someday I might consider the 22lr pistol pack. I always thougth that was a really cool combo.

Ed

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:34:24 PM »
no they don't have a exsposed hammer spur. They use the typcial "Ruger style"transfer bar. so safe with a six loaded. at least all I have ever owned. love mine.. a great gun at a great value.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 03:49:04 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Dan Wessons used tranfer bars before Ruger, so maybe we should say that Rugers use "Dan Wesson style" transfer bars, although I think manufacturer who used it first was Iver Johnson in their "hammer the hammer" designs.  By the time Dan Wesson or Ruger was using them, the patent had expired and was in the public domain.

Dan Wesson used many innovations in the late 1960's that many of the other manufacturers have since copied (i.e. Ruger's grip design on the GP-100 and many features on the new S&W X frames like the barrel and grip designs.)

Just a bit of useless trivia.

Roll Tide

Offline Archblackmage

• http://archblackmagi.tripod.com/
i got 2 dan wessons
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »
I just read an article in one of my firearm mag's, CZ-usa is making 445 super mags and it said to email or ask for what you want them to produce.
I would like to pick up some more barrels. Lovely firearms. :D
Andrew S. DeCecco

Offline Feldhege

• Avid Poster
    • Universal Sight
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 02:21:43 PM »
Yep They are making me a 44 mag, blued, 6 inch barrel for my little friend. It will be the full underlugged version so that it matches my other two. Costs $199.50 shipped to my house. It includes the Shroud, Barrel, Front Sitght, and barrel nut. I thought it was worth it because I was having alot of trouble finding one not attached to a gun. :)
If your best was good enough today....
It won't be tomorrow.

Offline oleblu

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »
In the past I've owned several Dan Wessons in 357 in the 4", 6", 8" barrel length, one 22 in 8" and a 744 with the 8" ported barrel. I have enjoyed shooting them with NO problems at all.
 Dan Wesson guns are verry well built and function great. Some gunsmiths aren't "sharp" on DW's but there are others that almst specialize in them. In short, they don't need much work.
 I also play with old tractors. It does not bother me one bit to buy an Oliver that is 50 years old and that the company has been bought out  and sold over and over. The last Oliver was made 30 years ago about the time the Dan Wessons were really taking off.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 05:40:31 AM »
I've owned 2 DW a 44 Mag and 357 Mag.  I still have the 357.  The 44 is a big gun and with its weight and ported barrel it was pleasent to shoot and really accurate.  Maybe that CZ has them they will be little more stable in the market place.

Turk

Remember to pray for our troops.
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Heavyhaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 05:12:07 PM »
They are junk.  I am doing public service and I will pay $100 for everyone that is sent to me, to destroy ofcouse.  I hate to see those guns in anothers hands.  Please PM me to have them disposed of.  Seriously, very good guns.  Not really for CCW, but great hunters and shooters.  Parts are availiable and service is only as far as DW themselves.