Author Topic: .45 ACP hard cast & deer  (Read 2082 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
.45 ACP hard cast & deer
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:18:33 PM »
I saw this .44 load on an ammo manufacturers web site.

255 gr. SWC (Keith-type)
gascheck 1000 fps
566 ft. lbs.
(for big game up to 500 lbs.)

I thought that seems a little light for game up to 500 lbs. What are other peoples thoughts?

If that is possible, couldn't one load a hard cast .45 bullet (maybe 225 or 230 gr.) in .45 ACP to say 900 fps or a little more and get clean kills on light deer and small hogs out to maybe 50 yards? I ask this because I am most proficient with the .45 ACP and am already set up to reload for that caliber.

Thanks for any feedback.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline jhalcott

Re: .45 ACP hard cast & deer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »
  Your problem might be getting a decent 225/230 grain 45 bullet mold.The shape of the nose will greatly affect the killing power of a bullet. The weight is needed for penetration. A bullet like the Lyman 454190(250 grains) has a round flat nose.A round nose hard cast will punch through with out expanding or delivering much "shock " to the deer.A plain old wheel weight bullet at about 900fps MIGHT expand and still push thru.This is good for a blood trail. I shot some gallon jugs hanging at 100 yards with a 250 grain round nose bullet from a 35Whelen. The velocity was about 2100 fps.The jugs barely moved when hit! The only reaction was the top blew off one.I don't think it was on tight.The only way I knew they were hit was seeing foam drip down .Then walking down for a closer view.My bullets are 15/16bhn which is softer than linotype by 2-4 points.

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
you could do a google search for Saeco mold# 954 Midway may have them.This is NOT a reccommendation to try heavy bullets in your 45acp.  Pressures could damage YOU or the fire arm OR some bystander(s)! Get help from an experienced reloader before trying this.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 06:50:41 PM »
I would further check to make sure the round is legal.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 03:55:06 AM »
Good information. That is true, finding a .45 bullet for the ACP is very limited and the frontal area is usually not not great for hunting purposes.

What about the load mentioned in my first post with the .44? That seems like a light load. Does any have any experience on game with a load around 1,000 fps?

Thanks again.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 09:37:10 AM »
Just a thought.  A round that is touted to stop a 250 pound BG loaded up on meth dead in his tracks wouldn’t do the same for a 100 pound deer at a reasonable distance?  Before anyone gets too riled up, no it wouldn’t be my choice of caliber, just pondering.
RJ

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 11:24:04 AM »
Good information. That is true, finding a .45 bullet for the ACP is very limited and the frontal area is usually not not great for hunting purposes.

What about the load mentioned in my first post with the .44? That seems like a light load. Does any have any experience on game with a load around 1,000 fps?

Thanks again.

Yes, I have killed two mule deer with the 250 gr Keith bullet at 1050 fps out of a 4" .44 Special.  I have also killed several deer and goats with the same bullet out of a 4" .44 mag at 1150 fps.  It will do the trick. The 250 gr .44 or 260 gr .45 kieth bullet loping along at 900 to 1050 fps is a very good killer of deer.  So is a Lee or Lyman 190/200 gr SWC over 7.5 gr Unique for 1050 fps out of a M1911. The old Speer 200 gr FAT HP over the same charge at 1028 fps did the same job.  Contrary to the opinions of heavy bullet shooters deer have not got harder to kill since Ross Seifried (SP?) started loading them for use on 1500+ lb animals. The old stand by bullets still do the job if the hunter does his.

Larry Gibson 

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 02:02:01 AM »
BRL:  Go on up to the 45 ACP/1911 Forum and view the discussion on Hunting Deer with a 45 ACP - there is some interesting information there that might help you.  In addition, there are some hardcast bullets by Beartooth (good sized metplat) referenced in that thread that may be of further interest to you as they are heavy slugs for the ACP but clock out at a fairly good clip.

Also, there is discussion of the 300 gn jacketed rebated bullet by Northwest Custom Projectile that attained excellent accuracy in testing and incredible penetration.  They didn't shoot all that well for me but my testing was limited.  These folks also produce a 260 gn slug in the same configuration which you really have to view to see what a rebated bullet for the 45 acp looks like.  It's pretty interesting.  I purchased some of the 300 gn slugs and even seated them backward as the profile of the slug was incredible when seated that way.  They were no more accurate for me than when they were seated properly but hay, they shoot better in some guns than others.  The 300 gn slugs also penetrated a bunch more than the standard ball slug. 

I think I'm going to try some of their 260 gn slugs, both forward and backward (lolol) to see if they are any more accurate than their 300 grainers were in my pistol.

Mind ya now, I'm not recommending the acp for whitetail even though I have taken one at fairly close range with an older load but I would think that a 250-260 gn slug at 850-900'/sec (attainable in the acp) should do the job at reasonable ranges.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 05:35:45 AM »
Great comments. Thanks guys. I probably won't set out hunting with the .45 ACP, but I might pack it along with my rifle in case that shot presents intself. I'll have a lot fun testing out loads though too.

Thanks.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »
In West Virginia (I'm from Virginia, close to the border) ANY center-fire cartrige qualifies for deer.

If a .22 Hornet can do it, why not .45acp?

I've always been of the philosophy of good bullet placement comes FIRST, if you're good with it - use it.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)