Author Topic: Super Redhawk Alaskan  (Read 650 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Super Redhawk Alaskan
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:28:25 PM »
Anyone out there have one of these, yet?  How do you like it...Does it shoot the 45LC pretty accurate?  Would it be a good choice for a conceal/carry revolver in 45cal?  I know there are better conceal/carry choices, but I kinda want to stay with a revolver and would definitly like to stay with a 45.
Cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Super Redhawk Alaskan
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »
Cookieman,
I love my Alaskan. I do get good accuracy with 45LC handloads. Haven't shot any factory 45LC. I carry mine as a sidearm when hunting. The 45LC shot shells are vicious on moccasins and the 240gr Hornady .454's are HOT enough to handle anything I might need it for. (the grizzly population is very small here in Florida) Some of the fields I hunt hogs in are to thick to see more than 15 or 20 yards so I carry it as my primary gun.
Practicing with full power loads is fun but you have to really relax and concentrate on trigger control to overcome the tendency to flinch.
I've chronographed 5 or 6 factory loads and the 240gr Hornady XTP/Mag has been the hottest of them all and surpasses any 454 max loads shown in the latest load manuals. Corbon has one that may be hotter but I didn't want to pay $35.00+S&H to find out.
By the way, now my scoped 7 1/2" SRH feels pleasant to shoot.
Let me know how you like yours after a while.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Super Redhawk Alaskan
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:51:37 AM »
Don't have one yet, v-man.  Just spotted them on the Ruger site when I was searching through Colt, S&W and Ruger to see who had the shortest 45LC revolver.  Want to have enough stopping power and also stay small enough to carry under a coat or baggy shirt.  Like I said, I know there are better choices for C/C, but I kinda like the idea of carrying a revolver.
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Super Redhawk Alaskan
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 01:03:43 AM »
I do not have or ever owned a Super Redhawk Alaskan, but I did have one of my Super Redhawk's customized way before Ruger came out with there model. What was done was the barrel on the Super Redhawk in 454 Casull was shortened to 2 1/2 inches, the barrel was recrowned with an inverted crown, a new front sight installed, the ring mounts welded and resurfaced and the cylinder was modified to accept moon clips so I could shoot 45 ACP, 45 Win Mag, 45 L/C and the 454 Casull.  I think Ruger saw pictures of the gun because it was on almost all the web sites. It is called the Street hawk. My buddy now owns that guns and when he saw Ruger come out with the Super Redhawk Alaskan, he said they copied my gun.  :-D  :D

It is very accurate and only the 45 ACP don't shoot well past 15 yards.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Super Redhawk Alaskan
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:32:27 PM »
Hey Redhawk,
Years ago when I bought my first SRH 7 1/2" I immediately visualized it cut down the same way.  Sounds like you did more than just visualize it.

Cookie,
This month's Gun Tests magazine seems to favor the Alaskan for the very purpose you have in mind. Check it out.
v-man

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Super Redhawk Alaskan
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:22:12 PM »
Thanks, v-man.  I will have to pick one of those up for the article.  That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for with this post.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"