Author Topic: Federal's FUSION Ammunition  (Read 1761 times)

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Federal's FUSION Ammunition
« on: October 22, 2005, 06:25:53 PM »
Anybody shot anything with this bullet yet???? Other than paper???

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 08:15:18 AM »
There's an article about them in Rifleman mag.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet but one question does pop into my mind.  The rate at which a bullet upsets and how far back it upsets is often controlled by the thickness of the jacket.  If these bullets are electro-plated (I assume its the same thing), the jacket would be of uniform thickness all over.  Soooo how is the upset controlled??

Offline MUTTLY

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 01:23:59 PM »
Quote from: beemanbeme
There's an article about them in Rifleman mag.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet but one question does pop into my mind.  The rate at which a bullet upsets and how far back it upsets is often controlled by the thickness of the jacket.  If these bullets are electro-plated (I assume its the same thing), the jacket would be of uniform thickness all over.  Soooo how is the upset controlled??

The Rifleman article had a cross section and the electroplating is definately thicker in areas. Article said they could place the plating stratigicly, they also "pre-expand" the bullet then run it back thru a press.

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Fusion..180gr 30-06
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 02:00:12 PM »
They were not very consistent for accuracy in the -06.  They were about 1" groups at 50 yards.  But that is just my gun.  Buckfever

Offline trophytaker308

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 02:23:50 PM »
myfather inlaw shot well under a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with em,my gun didnt like em at all...he was shooting a browning a-bolt,i was shooting my savage 16fs,both were 308. cal...

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 04:38:28 AM »
I have found my 243 handi seems to like it pretty well. I have not heard of anyone killing anything yet. I do know that I shot several 1/2 gal drink bottles full of water and then into sandbags and I must say that I am truly impressed it held together very well and mushroomed almost text book. I wont be a true believer until it has put meat in the freezer but I think I may like it.

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 04:03:13 PM »
I guess it is like the reduced recoil ammo that the companies came out with, will just have to try it and see.
 I bought some of the 150 gr in 300 Win mag and the 95 gr in 243 to hunt with this year. Hope after the 12th I will have some results to tell ya'll about.

Again, as always, thanks for the replies.

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 04:28:09 AM »
So back to the original question, Has anyone shot anything (GAME) other than paper.  How did they perform?? I have a box of 150gr .308 I am using, now if only the deer will corporate.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline A1DEADZIP97

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 06:11:00 PM »
I shot a doe w/ 30-30 150 gr.  
40 yd
big hole - very pleased

Offline scoe

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 05:41:11 PM »
I shot two deer this year with them.  First, was a seven point buck at 60 yards.  He dropped right there, high shoulder shot.  Second was a doe at about 40 yards.  She too feel right there with a shoulder shot.  I was using the 130 grain bullets out of my .270.  I will be using them next year.  Massive internal damage and exit holes on both.

scoe

Offline trophytaker308

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 05:07:41 PM »
i shot a 13 point buck this year with em,at 80 yards,jumpedc sraight up and hit the deck,i will continue to use em,great bullet..

Offline youngbdv

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »
Bump

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 08:42:44 AM »
I shot a spike elk with a 180 grain 30-06 at about 75 yards. very pleased also very accurate in my weatherby vanguard
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline youngbdv

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 05:49:05 AM »
I've only shot and killed a whitetail doe with the fusion .308 150 grain ammo,but my hit was less than perfect so I can't really say .

Offline slowfog

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:16:34 AM »
I know this will get people talking, but I shot a cow elk with a 150gr .270 Win. Fusion at 325 yards. The first bullet passed thru the shoulder and sprayed blood everywhere, I hit her a second time and she took two steps and dropped. I can't complain at all about how it performed, honestly she was hit so hard the first time that a second was probably not needed. but I shoot until they drop. The thing that sold me was the fact that there cheaper than the Partitions I used to shoot, and its very accurate out of my Vanguard.

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 05:31:48 AM »
All these were takin with the Federal Fusion 95 grain out of my Handi Rifle .243.

"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar