Author Topic: How To Put A Contender Together?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline ajshoots

• Trade Count: (0)
How To Put A Contender Together?
« on: May 13, 2006, 06:01:19 AM »
I was given a Contender to put back together and cannot figure out how to get the hammer and hammer spring back in properly. I am looking for a book or schematic that someone might know of that would make this process much easier for me! Thanks Aaron

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:15:02 AM »
Get a copy of the Owner's Manual from T/C  manuals@tcarms.com or a copy of firearms disassembly at the library.

Offline mugs

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 10:03:12 AM »
Make a slave pin the width of the hammer. Easy to make from a drill bit the size of the hammer pin. With this the hammer and spring can be installed together and the slave pin pushed out with the hammer pin.
Mugs

Offline Madmark

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 09:58:20 PM »
Steve has a copy of the parts breakdown here:
http://stevespages.com/ipb-tc-contender.html

Offline ajshoots

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 03:36:37 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I had already made a slave pin but wasn't sure how everything fit together. Someone had adjusted the trigger and the gun was very unsafe. I was given the gun to fix and had no clue how everything fit back together since I didn't take it apart. First Contender I had ever worked on. This gun is an older T/C and the owner wants more barrels. Will all contender frames work with all current calibers? Thanks again for the help Aaron.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 03:41:28 AM »
All but the factory muzzle loading barrels.  I had to stone the locking bolts down on some older barrels to make them work well on G2 Contender frames.  Some stoning may be necessary to go the other way as well.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 03:46:12 AM »
Does anyone know exactly what the factory has done with the G2 muzzleloader barrels to make them not function in older frames?

Offline Madmark

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 07:03:15 AM »
There is a tab on the bottom of the barrel lug that apparently has no purpose besides keeping it from working in the older frames. If you go on Midway and look at a picture of the barrel, you can see the tab. If you file the tab off so you can use it in the pre G2 frame, you void the barrel warranty.