Author Topic: How often do you guys shoot?  (Read 904 times)

Offline Mulegunner

• Trade Count: (0)
How often do you guys shoot?
« on: December 11, 2005, 04:58:01 AM »
I have a couple of Pietta colts.  A 1860 Army Steel and a Brass Navy .44 ( I know what youre thinking, but I bought it before I knew any better).  Anyways, now that deer season is over for me I want to blow the dust off and do some shooting.  I like these guns for the "fiddle factor",  they just aren't load and shoot.  So how often do you shoot? How many rounds?  And any problems you have?

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 05:46:15 PM »
I shoot once a month at a local CAS match.  

Average round count is 15 to 20 rds. per revolver per match.  Not much at all.

Problems have been the usual.  Mostly stock nipples of differing sizes.  Solved that one by ordering a bunch of Thunderridge's stainless nipples.

My match guns are all ASM 51's and 60's that were imported by Navy Arms.  Very well made during that time.  I used a couple of Pietta's for awhile, but had chainfire from the front due to out of round chambers.  That was fixed by using dry or lubed wads.  My other Piettas are all 58's and function flawlessly.   Btw, the chainfire guns are from way back.  I understand the newer ones are much better.

Other guns I have used, once or not even, are POS 51's/44 made by SM imported by Idunnowho.  Rough, razor sharp parts.  Lousy tolerances with frame to barrel fit, etc.  I can't even relegate them for parts, they were so bad.  Also most of the screws were over torked and couldn't remove them without buggering them a bit.  I had 2 of these.  One was bought cheap and the other was given to me.   I made up for it by using the grip frames on my 60's.  Surprisingly, they fit pretty good.  :lol:
Singing Bear

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 05:08:55 AM »
I shoot 3-4 times a month.  Use either my 60's- 61's- 60 Sheriff's or the ROA's.  Shoot the 58 R&D conversions only when there is no FT class.  Shoot only C&B's  & a 44/40 73.
   Have no problems with any of my C&B.  Secret is to "fiddle" with them till they are reliable, then stop messing with them.  I carry spare parts ie: hands for Pietta/Uberti, bolt springs, hammer springs, wedges.  Italians just do not have good spring stock.  Get my spares from VTI.  Also change ALL nips to Treso from Thunder Ridge.  I use CCI #11 caps on all.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline tomhargrove

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:36:57 PM »
:D i have a 1858 piette rem. been cut to 5 1/2" have shot  it at least 3 times a week about 3cyls, each time for the past 15yrs and as of yet i have had not one spring break or a nipple to go bad still shooting the original nipples carry it on the tractor to the field  and it has taken everything from rabbits to coyotes, with no trouble .but mabey it`s because like all my firearms i take very good care of them, this revolver shoots better or as good as any hand gun i own. :-)

"war does not decide what is right ,rather only what is left"

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 06:47:40 PM »
I work offshore 14 and 14 and own 40 acers so I've got a couple weeks a month to shoot and a place to shoot so I'm one of the lucky ones.

Recently I've been reloading and shooting a 45  73' cattleman in smokless as my main plinkin' gun.  I know, it horible but it's fun.  Also it's been too cold to do much shooting.  Soon as it warms up some the cap lock guns will get more of a workout.

That said I probably go through 3-400 rounds each in my 51 navies on an average month, unless it's too cold.  One's a pietta and the other a uberti, both 36 cal.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 07:00:30 PM »
I work offshore 14 and 14 and own 40 acers so I've got a couple weeks a month to shoot and a place to shoot so I'm one of the lucky ones.

Recently I've been reloading and shooting a 45  73' cattleman in smokless as my main plinkin' gun.  I know, it horible but it's fun.  Also it's been too cold to do much shooting.  Soon as it warms up some the cap lock guns will get more of a workout.

That said I probably go through 3-400 rounds each in my 51 navies on an average month, unless it's too cold.  One's a pietta and the other a uberti, both 36 cal.  I'm a big guy and love a big gun but the 36 navies are my favorites and I can see why Wild Bill kept them even after the 73' came out.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline curdog

• GBO Sponsor
  • Contributor
    • http://www.havehogdogswilltravel.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:37:26 PM »
we shoot at least every other month just to keep the dust blowed out. hawkins 50 cal. single :D  :D
no hog to big for our dogs
-----------------------------
http://www.havehogdogswilltravel.com

Offline Plink

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 02:51:43 PM »
Weather permitting, I shoot about once a week, sometimes twice or more if I'm testing something. I find that I take a black powder gun with me about half the time. My favorites being a Thompson New Englander in .54, a Dixie Hawken .54 that I built from a kit and a Traditions Trapper pistol that I built from a kit. I'm looking to get an Uberti New Army target model soon.

I shoot a mix when I go. I'll work with the .22's for a while, practice with my carry pistol, plink with an AK or SKS, try my hand at longer ranges with a rifle or XP-100 pistol in .308, or maybe bust a few clays. I try to keep it varied to keep it interesting. I don't specialize in anything. I just like it all.
Mike

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of SMART!

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
I just started in shooting my C&Bs again this past weekend. I like to shoot cartridge in RVs or my conversions in ROAs during the winter months.
So, this past weekend I dusted off a pair of ROAs in 7 1/2" swapped over to some gunfighter grips and  I did OK with them. I had a few misses, even shot one stage gunfighter with them.
Next weekend I might try out my Remmies for a change.
I'll shoot near each weekend with C&B now.
I ordered some caps and now I need to cast out some balls and I will be set for a while.
I am looking forward to my first annual in a few weeks. Frontiersman class will be good. I know I will have Rowdy Yates and probably BJT to deal with. They are great fun to shoot with. An all ROA showdown of sorts. :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA