Author Topic: Turkey season opens in four days !!!!!!!  (Read 330 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Turkey season opens in four days !!!!!!!
« on: April 13, 2006, 11:12:14 AM »
Ok I have been out scouting for the past three weeks and have found two rosting areas. Saw at least four jakes but no big Toms.... I have gotten the MAD 10 ga patterned and also the CD 12 ga Maxi Mag just in case I need it.  I'm going to be hunting a private farm in frederick country Maryland.  Man I can't wait until tuesday morning.  Got all my gear pack but I'll more then likely unpack it and pack it again two or three time before I go. Even went out and bought myself a new truck.  The local dodge dealer was having a really good sale and the old jeep was getting tired, 150,000 plus miles. So now I'm the proud owner of a new dodge dakota SLT quad cab 4x4.  Might not be as good as the old Jeep offroad but I'll be cool looking doing it.....

What do you guys think of the colapisable decoys?  I have bought a couple deferent brands. I've ever used decoys but a buddy of mine swears by them.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline kylongbeard

Turkey season opens in four days !!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 05:48:14 AM »
Congrats on the new truck.  I drive a dodge as well.  A quad cab Ram 1500.  Love the thing.  KY season opens in the morning and I too am all packed and ready to head to my farm this afternoon.  I'm shooting a SB2 10 gauge sporting a new BSA Red Dot and Kick's GT .690 Tube.  Can't wait to hear that first Gobble in the morning  :eek:  :P .  

I use Quest decoys.  I think they have helped me bag 4 or 5 birds, but I can't be too sure.  I have actually had the decoys spook a few hens that ultimately led the big Tom in a different direction and out of shooting range.  So, I think the decoys have only helped me when hunting large fields and open areas where the gobbler can scope out the decoy and I think it helps to steer him in the right direction.  But, after 12 years of turkey hunting, I still think that knowing how and when to work a call will lead to the biggest success in the hardwoods.

The best of luck to you on your trip and hopefully I'll have one already cleaned by this time tomorrow morning.

Longbeard

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Update on my turkey season
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 06:29:46 AM »
Went out opening day and went to the ridge where I had seen the birds going and coming to their roost.  Set out my decoys about 100 yrds up hill from them.  As soon as I heard them flying down I started to softly cluck and yelp. As soon as the lead turkey saw my decoy he came in at a full run.  Heck I had to shoot him even tho he wasn't the biggest bird in the bunch but he was running right at me....  Guess I need to put my decoys off to one side next time.  I shot him at about 25 yrds and all he did was flip over and kick for about 2 seconds.  End up with a young jake about 12 pounds.  Well I still have one more tag for that big Tom.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)