Author Topic: Trigger Guard?  (Read 664 times)

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Trigger Guard?
« on: March 25, 2006, 10:54:39 AM »
The back of my middle finger is getting nailed hard by the back of the trigger guard when I shoot my Pardner 12 gauge.  Anyone else have this problem?  I'm thinking of installing some kind of pad on the back side of trigger guard unless someone knows why this is happening.  

I am refinishing the stock and it is smooth right now with no finish.  Slicker than snot on a door knob.  I think it was doing this before I started sanding the stock down but maybe not as bad.  

It's an important finger.  Sometimes I use it for driving.  

Just kidding!

Chuck   :grin:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:16:08 AM »
Try a pair of shooting gloves or a light leather glove, and grip the stock with your trigger hand a bit tighter, then your hand will move back with recoil instead of moving into the trigger guard when the rifle recoils. :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 02:07:52 PM »
Be sure the stock is firmly planted against your shoulder also.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:46:18 AM »
I did some more sanding this weekend.  I've got the stock looking really nice now but still haven't put any finish on it yet.  I'm thinking of using the Minwax Polyshade Classic Oak.  I like the light blonde look at this point.  This Polyshade stuff is what they call a two in one.  Stain and polyurethane all in one.  I went with the satin instead of the gloss.  I'll let "use guys" (thats Yankee for y'all) know how it turns out.  If its not to ugly I'll post some pictures.

It does appear the finish does more than just make it look nice and protect the wood.  It also helps you hang onto it.  I mean in a major way.  I shot again this week end and with the stock as smooth as a new born baby's bottom it is impossible to hang onto it.  Ouch!!!   :grin:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 03:11:26 PM »
I stripped all the finnish off my old topper deluxe 20 ga when I was about 14 and used it that way until my ex wife pawned it without my knowledge when I was 25. I had intended to refinish it but after a while the look it took on fron just being handled and used had a charm of it's own. The natural oils in your hands mixed with dirt, sweat and a little rabbit /sqirrel blood just grew on me. when I finally replaced it a year or so ago the 1st thing I did was strip that stock to let this proccess start again.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:05:00 AM »
I'm finding a finish is necessary on my 12 gauge Pardner/Tracker one in order to hang onto it..  This puppy really barks!  

I found an outfit called Kick eez that makes recoil pads for folks with shoulder conditions.  I think I may want one of these.  They also make a product called finger eez.  It is expressly designed to go around your middle finger to protect it from getting pulverized by the trigger guard from making multiple shots in a row with a high recoil weapon.  I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one having this problem.  I have fired as many as 25 slugs in a row.  Most folks probably don't do this.  

http://precisionreloading.com/recoilpads.htm

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:51:37 AM »
one$$shot, I would highly reccommend AGAINST any finish that has a stain and finish mixed into one soulution!!! It is the cheapest and wopst way to go, it is what H&R uses on it's cheap pallet wood stocks because just that,. it is cheap and easy, it is sprayed on and after it dries it lies on the top of the wood with no penetration, and we all know how cheap and lousy the pallet wood stocks look. Use a stain or no stain if you want but use a good stock finish. I swear by tung oil, others here like polyeurathane and others like a Tru oil finish ( a so--called china oil, tung oil actually). Please don't wreck all the nice sanding and work you have in that stock by layering a finish on it that just sits on top of the wood, has no "depth" and looks cheap and if it scratches allows the light wood to show right through...Best of luck on whatever you do, I have been doing stocks and weood work for a while now and those all in one finishes are just fast and cheap looking. I do not think you will be happy with the results and I guarentee it will not have the appearence of a good quality traditional stock....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 05:29:18 AM »
Wow!  Thanks MSP.  I really appreciate the advice.  I will say this.  Sanding down a stock isn't something a person does casually in a single evening by hand.  It has been a heck of a lot of work and it does look nice.  I do need a finish that has some drag to it so to speak and isn't slippery.

I'll hold off for now MSP.  Decisions...decisions!!  Thanks again.

Chuck

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Trigger Guard?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 02:17:44 AM »
MSP:  I took the 2 in 1 polyshade stuff back and got some low gloss tung oil and spray on satin polyurethane.  I'm going in for hernia surgery in the morning so I'll have a little time off to play with this.

I was planning on rubbing in the tung oil with a white cotton cloth.  I'll wait 24 hours and do it again.  Then I'm going to wait a couple of days.  Next I plan on hanging the stock vertically and give it a light spray of the satin polyurethane.  I'll wait several hours then take some triple ought steel wool to it lightly and hit it again with another light coat of the poly.  Maybe repeat until I get what I like.

Whad ya' think?

Chuck