Author Topic: Simmons Master Series Experience  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Loosecat

• Trade Count: (0)
Simmons Master Series Experience
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:12:06 AM »
I recently got an Simmons master series prohunter 3-9x40 - took it up to the range for its first try-out on a SHR 970 alpine in 6.5x55. Optically actually very nice apart from a wee bit of fuzziness right up at 9 power. Tracked very well around the target and no change of impact from different power shifts. I put 40 rounds through the rifle before leaving the range feeling quite pleased with the $100.00 scope. Once back at home and cleaning my rifle I noticed when looking through the scope a bit of dust on the lens. Ok check back lens, front lens - damm its inside. On closer inspection there are now many little bits of debris stuck on the inside of the scope including the original bit that is large enough to be seen all the time when focusing through the scope. Very annoying. This scope is pretty good optically and mechanically but as far as I can tell has been let down by sloppy workmanship or an inside coating has been shaken loose by the massive recoil of a 6.5 mauser.

Potentially a nice scope that has been let down by its Chinese manufactured origins.

Offline victorcharlie

Re: Simmons Master Series Experience
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 11:53:44 AM »
Quote from: Loosecat

Potentially a nice scope that has been let down by its Chinese manufactured origins.

And your suprised?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Loosecat

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »
No not suprised at all - taking a look for myself to see what was up with the magazine hype and by posting providing some independant insight.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 02:37:31 PM »
Man, sorry to hear that.  Glad that you jumped on the grenade/took one for the team though.  I was looking at one (saw it for $40) but couldn't bring myself to buy it.  I read the same hype.  I firmly believe in the "special advanced Japanese sample" conspiracy theory of scopes.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 02:59:30 PM »
Loosecat:  Thanks for the information.  I have been looking at scopes recently.  It is hard to find a test on a working man's scope.  I do have one Simmon's scope.  It has held up.  It replaced a scope that failed big time.  It failed after about 75 rounds from a .270.  It was a gift and came from a department store.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Adirondack Joe

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 07:19:16 AM »
Hmmm, I have a similarly priced Master Series scope that I haven't tried out yet. I'll have to see how it works out. I also just ordered a Master Series ProSport 4X32 for my Charles Daly 30-06. I'll report my impressions of that after I've mounted it and put some rounds through it.
I hunt, therefore I am

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 12:46:43 PM »
I've had just one experiance with the new Simmons Master series, and unfortunately it was not positive.

I bought a 3X9X40 partly because a friend has one of the Wal Mart Savage package deals which came with the older version. He has had real good luck with his.  I have a .44 Mag and an Aetek and both have done well. When the Master arrived I figured, what the heck, if they have improved it, maybe it'll be a decent scope.

Plain and simple, it had a fog around the outside of the lense and the only way I could get it to anything near focused was on 9 power.  I returned the scope for a full refund and never looked back.

EVOC ONE

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 12:46:43 PM »
I've had just one experiance with the new Simmons Master series, and unfortunately it was not positive.

I bought a 3X9X40 partly because a friend has one of the Wal Mart Savage package deals which came with the older version. He has had real good luck with his.  I have a .44 Mag and an Aetek and both have done well. When the Master arrived I figured, what the heck, if they have improved it, maybe it'll be a decent scope.

Plain and simple, it had a fog around the outside of the lense and the only way I could get it to anything near focused was on 9 power.  I returned the scope for a full refund and never looked back.

EVOC ONE

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 03:15:46 PM »
Simmons is replacing my old Whitetail Expedition under warranty.  I hope it isn't with a Master Series anything.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 04:25:17 AM »
Bluebayou:  Let us know how it does when you get the chance to test it.

Thanks.

EVOC ONE