Author Topic: The word America  (Read 475 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
The word America
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:48:03 AM »
I Heard on the radio today that the gov is taking the word america out of test books in school. I did a google seach no luck I WANTED MORE info. They don't want to offend anyone they said.

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
The word America
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:12:41 AM »
I haven't heard that one yet, but if it's happening in this country, then it has to be happening in the California public school system.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
The word America
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 03:08:37 AM »
There has been people complaining about USA citizens calling ourselves "Americans" since I was  kid in the forties. Mainly because there is a South America too. But spitting out "I'm a United States of American" has always been rather cumbersome, so it didn't change then, and it isn't likely to now.

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
The word America
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 03:18:44 AM »
Quote from: qajaq59
There has been people complaining about USA citizens calling ourselves "Americans" since I was  kid in the forties. Mainly because there is a South America too. But spitting out "I'm a United States of American" has always been rather cumbersome, so it didn't change then, and it isn't likely to now.

Reckon "United Statesian" would sound better?? Are there any other countries in the western hemisphere that have "America" in the name of the country? None come to mind.
gino  :D

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
The word America
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 04:31:38 AM »
Are there any other countries in the western hemisphere that have "America" in the name of the country?
NOPE, but people always find something to moan and groan about.

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
The word America
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 05:37:13 AM »
Well, I called that wrong. It was in Michigan. I note, though, that this country is the only one with the word "America" in its name. I'd venture to guess that's why we've been called "Americans" for quite some time now.