Author Topic: Need advice on a shotgun scope  (Read 804 times)

Offline hunter1001

• Trade Count: (1)
Need advice on a shotgun scope
« on: February 10, 2003, 03:29:29 AM »
Hello,
I bought an encore 12ga slug barrel and put a Burris 3x9 rifle scope.  The problem is the eye relief is to close and every time I shoot the gun it brushes my head.  Do shotgun scope have a longer eye relief?  What would be a good scope in 2x-7?  I know Leupold makes a good one but was not wanting to invest that much money in one.  Most of the other manufactures seem to make only lower power scopes that are mostly designed for turkey hunting.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 08:43:46 AM »
Hunter,

Shotgun scopes do not necessarily have longer eye reliefs.  They do have shorter parallex adjustment, typically 75-50 yards.  Hate to say it, but if you are concerned about eye relief, you may want to really look into the Leupold.  They have very generous eye relief.  The leupold 2-7x32 shotgun model has eye relief of 4.9.  Very hard to find anything bigger than that.  I don't know how much you want to spend.  Don't be afraid to put a rifle scope on a shotgun.  A good quality scope will handle the recoil.  Bushnell scopes are very good, but lack the eye relief that you will need.  Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 has an eye relief of 3.9 with 100 yard parallex.  I guess if you can afford the Leupold or Nikon, I would go with one of them
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 11:56:15 AM »
Another option is to mount the scope way forward - I mean past the action.  Then, you can mount a pistol-type scope that has eye relief of about 20" or so inches.  I have seen several people use this type of set-up, but I'm not sure who makes the scope mounts.

Zachary

Offline hunter1001

• Trade Count: (1)
Can anyone tell me about the Nikon ProStaff Shotgun Scope.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 12:39:33 PM »
I have been checking aroung and discovered that Nikon has came out with a new line of scopes called ProStaff.  They have a 2-7x shotgun scope listed.  It appears to be what I'm looking for and prices seems to be decent.  Has anyone seen these scopes yet?

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
Bushnell Banner Shotgun Scope
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 02:30:15 AM »
Bushnell has a Banner series cantilever shotgun scope with a 6 inch eye relief and a 50yard paralex setting.

I own a Banner similar to this one and I am surprised at the quality/price of these scopes for under $100.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3