Author Topic: Beretta 92fs Vertec or Browning hi power mark III  (Read 975 times)

Offline 1marty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Beretta 92fs Vertec or Browning hi power mark III
« on: March 13, 2006, 03:15:42 PM »
I've been looking for a 9MM and both the Browning and Beretta seem to fit my hands just right. Does anyone have a good idea which one to choose. I'm mainly going to do target practice and I'm looking for accuracy and reliability.

Offline Type99

• Avid Poster
re: Beretta vs. Browning
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »
Hello...

I was just out shooting my Browning Hi-Power.  It has the rear tangent sight.  One of the made-in-Belgium, assembled-in-Portugal pistols.  I really have to say that, if I were you, I would go for a Browning Hi-Power.  A more accurate, reliable pistol you will not find.  I know that each of the major brands has it's own fleet of fans, and you will find equally positive endorsements for Beretta no doubt.  But for the purposes you mentioned, mainly target and accuracy, the Browning will not do you a disservice.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Old Griz

Beretta 92fs Vertec or Browning hi power ma
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:34:29 PM »
:cb2: I've only fired the Beretta once and that was enough. Really underwhelmed with the trigger and the overall feel. Though I have never fired a Hi-Power, the Browning has been a very popular gun for a long, long time. There must be a reason.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 02:31:38 AM »
1marty - I would get the Hi-Power.  I have experience with both the Beretta and the Browning and prefer the Browning.  I think you can pretty much do the same with both pistols, target, defense, etc., but I think the Browning may have more options available for the shooter.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:22:14 AM »
John Moses Browning developed what many consider the best defensive pistol in the world/history (1911) then guess what!  He improved on the design!!!!  =  Browning High Power!!!!!  :D
I have not shot a new model at all, only old Belgium made and they were the ideal pistol for my mitts.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:33:10 PM »
The Browning High Power is an excellently balanced gun with a natural point to it and I love it for shooting. However, it is an older design and it doesn't feed hollowpoints that well (or, at least mine doesn't) and therefore, is not a good choice for self defense purposes since 9mm FMJs are not nearly as effective as 9mm hollowpoints. The Beretta, on the other hand, will eat anything you feed it. My High Power sits in the safe while my Beretta is in the drawer ready for duty.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
browning great gun but odd mag
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 02:59:06 PM »
I went to Gander and after looking at both I bought the Browning Hi Power-all I can say is wow-what a terrific pistol. Only thing is I live in NY where max in a mag is 10 rounds-for some odd reason in both Browning mags they only load 9; has anyone had this problem?

Offline alien319

• Avid Poster
  • NRA Member
    • East Carolina Predator Hunting Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 11:35:30 AM »
Beretta is a fine pistol as well as the Hi-power.  I have shot both and being in the Marine Corps, I have shot the Beretta M9, virtually the same pistol as the Vertec, except a slightly longer barrel.  I love the Beretta.  It is much nicer to have a new one versus the issued weapons we get.  Who knows how many rounds have gone down range in them.  BUT, the best part is we can easily hit what we need to hit with these Berettas.  When the US Military did its testing to replace the great 1911, the Beretta came out on top.  Hope this helps.
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight."
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

Win. Model 94 .30-30, Lakefield Arms MkII .22LR, Mossberg 500 12GA, Ruger P345 .45ACP, Remington 700 .308/McMA4 stock, 1932 Mosin Nagant

USMC-'03-Present

Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran