Author Topic: Does and turkey call  (Read 406 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Does and turkey call
« on: April 27, 2006, 09:27:40 AM »
I went our turkey hunting this morning.  I had set up a couple of places and had heard nothing.  Then I noticed some movement and a large doe was coming down the trail toward me.  As I had on a complete camo outfit and sat real still she walked by  not ten feet from me.  As she was about to walk out of sight I gave my turkey call a couple of scratches and dang it if she didn’t turn right around and come right back to me.  For about fifteen minuets we stared at each other from about 20 feet until she finally got nervous and ran away.  As she ran out of site I gave the call a couple of loud yelps to see if she would come back again.  Just then I heard some noise from the opposite direction and two does come running over to me.  They too spent about fifteen minuets trying to figure out just what I was before going away.  Maybe I have been wasting my time all these years with that buck grunter? :)
RJ

Offline .308sniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
Does and turkey call
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:35:12 AM »
Thats cool!!
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline horseman308

• Avid Poster
Does and turkey call
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 01:53:16 AM »
What ever works! Maybe I'll take my turkey calls to the woods this fall.
You only take one shot at a time, so don't waste it :cb2:

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Turkey Call
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 07:25:43 AM »
I would suspect that the doe’s were in a danger mode. Something had spooked them. They wanted to add the superior sight of the Turkey to their abilities. If you have Super Turkey sight and Exceptional nose/smell of the deer with her hearing you have a pretty good ALARM system!

Animals will bunch up for safety sometimes.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Does and turkey call
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »
I have had deer come to the turkey call several times. When I'm scouting or just hiking I take my turkey call. Every hundred yards or so I'll give a few low yelps to help cover my noise. I was very suprised in how many more deer I see since I started doing this.
Like RemingtonMagnum said, deer feel very safe when a turkey is around due to it's SUPER danger spotting abbilities.
An old turkey hunter turned me on to this GREAT TIP years ago.
I figure first they hear your boots coming through the leaves and go into ALERT mode. As long as they don't spot you before you hit the slate they think your a turkey and the ALERT mode is GONE.