Author Topic: Breech plug madness  (Read 2117 times)

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Breech plug madness
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:43:43 AM »
I got a plug frozen up in barrel real tight. I am concerned in further attempts to get it out, without damage to barrel. Is it a big deal to leave it in stuck, and just clean real good around it. I would just take a shot or two
a year into deer. This rifle is very accurate, but inexpensive, and I don't want to spend more to fix...

Offline toytruck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Breech plug madness
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 03:51:16 PM »
What rifle do you have?  I had this issue yesterday with pyrodex pellets of all things.  I had to get a rachet and tap it with a hammer to get the plug to budge. Thought I had solved this problem....next time I will remove the breechplug while still warm from shooting.

To answer your question, I would try to get it out instead of leaving a dirty plug in the breech.  Try soaking it over night in solvent or very hot water down the tube and put a cap on the plug to seal overnight.  Good luck I know the feeling very well!!!
Whites & TC Renegade

Life may change us, but we start and end with family.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Breech plug madness
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 04:52:58 PM »
Quote from: tscott
I got a plug frozen up in barrel real tight. I am concerned in further attempts to get it out, without damage to barrel. Is it a big deal to leave it in stuck, and just clean real good around it. I would just take a shot or two
a year into deer. This rifle is very accurate, but inexpensive, and I don't want to spend more to fix...

tscott, put some good penetrating oil down the barrel and let it sit over night. You need to get the breech plug out in order to do a good cleaning. Also use a high temp grease in the threads one the breech plug as well as the threads in the barrel when you reassemble it. Hope it works for you.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Breech plug madness
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 06:06:21 AM »
I sue white lithieum grease that you can pick up a NAPA works great
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Breech plug madness
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:20:48 AM »
Soak it at least overnight, Kroil should work well if you have any. I quit using grease, it doesn't work near as well as sealing the plug with teflon tape. It keeps the fouling out of the threads which is the cause of the stuck plug. TC's EZ-Thread Anti-Seize Breech Plug Tape works excellent.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=39309&highlight=breech+tape

http://tcarms.com/TC_HTML/accessrs_cleaning.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Breech plug madness
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Soak it at least overnight, Kroil should work well if you have any. I quit using grease, it doesn't work near as well as sealing the plug with teflon tape. It keeps the fouling out of the threads which is the cause of the stuck plug. TC's EZ-Thread Anti-Seize Breech Plug Tape works excellent.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=39309&highlight=breech+tape

Good idea!
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Breech plug madness
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 08:25:56 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo

Tim

Good advice, but I use Oatey Pink Waterline PTFE Tape #3T402 on my breech plugs. I think it is the same thing as T/C's tape at about 1/4th the price and has 260" of tape versus 100" on the T/C. I have never had a stuck plug using the tape one layer thick, pushed into the threads with your fingernail by rotating the plug, then just a very fine film of grease to lubricate it for easier installation. You can buy the tape at Lowes and other Home Improvement or Plumbing Stores and it is thicker than the white teflon tape.
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=80&subctg=0&prodgrpid=39
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Breech plug madness
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 02:12:26 AM »
Thanks guys, I did get it out. It is a Huntsman, and I broke my rule of not pulling the plug after 5 shots. My other guns I can shoot forever, and cleanup at home, no problem. I absolutely love the accuracy of the Huntsman.. My issues are the breech plug deal, and I have to wack it on the bench to open after shooting. Still the accuracy keeps it as my go to deer rig... Thanks!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Breech plug madness
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 04:11:30 AM »
tscott,

Use the tape, my Huntsman plug has never stuck. The plug tool is hard to get leverage with, I modified mine to a hex head, now I just slip a socket over it, works like a charm. Go up to the Huntsman forum and search for modifying the breech plug tool, there is a few good ideas to modify one.

My Huntsman is VERY accurate also! :wink:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline slave

• Contributor
Breech plug madness
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 03:10:03 AM »
I like tape as well. Far better than any lube.
keep your powder dry !!!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Breech plug madness
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 03:17:02 AM »
I have never had a problem using Shooters Choice high temp grease. I have shot all day without pulling the breach plug and still have it come right out.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sabotloader

• A Real Regular
Breech plug madness
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 03:57:39 AM »
tscott

I am also a tape user...

Breech Plug Sealing

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=39309

It is my theory that sealing the breech plug should occur at the face of the breech plug against the rear flange of the barrel.  If the blowback can be stopped where these two surfaces mate, blown back powder and more importantly the hot gases will be sealed from the threads of the breech plug.  These gases and powder residue are responsible for the seizing of your breech plug.  These same gases can cut your breech plug and cause a breech plug failure.

This subject came up again on another forum. This the information I posted and it WORKS, anyway on my four inlines. I really don not even worry about seized plugs - I shoot several rounds each trip to the rock pit.

The following picture shows my efforts as explained below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/BreechPlug2.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/BreechPlug.jpg

This is one of those things that I have really been fortunate with. When I go to the range I shoot 30-40 shots 100 grains of loose t7 with 209 primers. I shoot 2 Remington’s and 2 A&H's. With all four of these guns I believe I have the breech plug thing whipped. I do not loosen or even fool around with the breech plug at the range. When I get home and get to it I turn it (them) out with very little pressure. I have tried several anti seize products, and anti seize with tape, even tried the finger tight thing, but have settled on just TC's tape or a comparable Teflon tape from a local building supply - one wrap.

From the two side locks that I built I think I have learned something.... I believe the face of the breech plug should mate up with the face flange of the barrel, if this mating is clean and tight, this mating should stop gasses from going back into the threads of your breech plug. I have blackened the face of my breech plugs screwed them in snuggly against the barrel flange - backed them back out and checked the black to see if contact had been made all the way around. The 2 Remington’s and one of the A&H's showed that there was good contact all the way around on the plug. One A&H seemed to have a very small non-contact spot. The next thing I do is start wrapping Teflon tape from the barrel end of the plug back to the nipple end. The key for me is that beginning wrap - when I am done wrapping the tape on the barrel end of the plug it should extend out from the plug - I then push and press the tape down on the face of the plug - insert it into the threads and I tighten it snuggly against the barrel flange - not tight - do not want to tear the Teflon, but make it snug because you need to compress the Teflon a bit. If you look down into the barrel with a barrel light you should see the Teflon all the way around the breech plug in the barrel. Your very first shot will drive that excess Teflon back up into any gaps there might be and your threads are sealed... (the Teflon might even cover the flash hole when your done wrapping) Popping one cap will take care of that.

That is my formula it has worked well for me - but every rifle is different so I can't say it will work for you all. I really believe it all comes down to how well the face of the plug and the face of the barrel mate up.

hope this make sense to all.....
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....

Offline Adkhunter

Breech plug madness
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »
Thanls for the tip on teflon tape. I'll be at my range possibly this weekend and will give it a try. I just want a way that will help keep my threads clean.
I hate having to shove loose powder past my greasey threads when I get back from hunting.

I'll report back with my results hopefully late Sunday.

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
Breech plug madness
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »
I use the cheapest white teflon plumber's tape I can find....never any problems.  If you tape, just try to clean some of the old tape out of the threads in the barrel every 3-4 removals.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Breech plug madness
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 05:12:09 PM »
Quote from: Busta
tscott,

Use the tape, my Huntsman plug has never stuck. The plug tool is hard to get leverage with, I modified mine to a hex head, now I just slip a socket over it, works like a charm. Go up to the Huntsman forum and search for modifying the breech plug tool, there is a few good ideas to modify one.

My Huntsman is VERY accurate also! :wink:

What tape? Teflon?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Breech plug madness
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 10:39:03 PM »
S.B.,

Thompson markets a pink teflon tape for around $9 a roll (1/2" X 100").
E-Z Thread Anti-Seize Breech Plug Tape. Scroll down to it.

Or you can get the stuff I use at Lowes or another Home Improvement / Plumbing Store, get the same results for 1/4 the the price and get 1/2" X 260" per roll. Oatey Pink Waterline Thread Seal Tape with PTFE.
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/Photo/Pink_Teflon_Tape.jpg

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=80&subctg=0&prodgrpid=39
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Breech plug madness
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 02:26:05 AM »
Busta, thanks.

Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Breech plug madness
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 07:31:15 AM »
Steve,

I have never had a stuck plug using the tape one layer thick, pushed into the threads with your fingernail by rotating the plug, then just a very fine film of grease to lubricate it for easier installation. Just remember to put the tape on in the right direction for instertion, that way it won't peel back on you. When you remove it, it might come out in strings from the individual threads, but that is normal.

Start with the plugs primer side to your left and the powder side to your right. Start the tape at the primer end of the plugs threads in front of you going up and over the plug, around the back, under and back to the front. Make sure you only go one layer thick with a very slight overlap between wraps. Stretch the tape where it overlaps the front (powder side) of the plug and cut it when complete. Use your fingernail and push the tape into the threads while turning it as you would be turning the plug into the barrel when tightening. (OPTIONAL) At this point I apply a light film of breech plug grease to aid in insertion of the plug and to prevent the tape peeling back due to poor thread engagement.

Go back and read Sabotloaders post, very good information on using the tape. I have come to the same conclusion as him about sealing the front shoulder of the plug except I don't completely cover the flash channel.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member