Author Topic: Watch Jimmy Houston shoot a penned deer  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Watch Jimmy Houston shoot a penned deer
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 12:47:16 AM »
Quote from: slave
I only hunt by fair chase means. I know I could never enjoy a can hunt and I do not like the fact that some able body do this for profit.

But I can see a 13 year old make a wish child wanting to go hunting as well. If the fence had a gate large enough I would push the chair and him/her right on in.

I hunt deer fair chase 100% of the time. But could you please define fair chase to me in you opinion. Do you hunt by a food plot, farmers field or by a feeder?
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »
Not really fun or challenging in my opinion, but if the deer are raised in a pen, then they're just livestock like any other.  Do you really think they're gonna kill the cows in their prime and let the deer die of old age just because they're deer?

Lets flip the perspective a bit: lets say that some cattle rancher was offering a chance to shoot his cows for him in the pen, for the sum of $2k per head.  He'll even let you keep the head to mount and hang on the wall.  If people took them up on it, I would think they're a bit off in the head, but I wouldn't consider it wrong.  The cow was going to be killed anyways.  Hammer to the head, bullet at 25 yards, bullet in a completely open space at 200 yards - the animal is just as dead.

I would only find fault with the operation if the meat were wasted.  I'm far more tolerant of just about any hunting/slaughter method so long as the animal isn't just tossed and allowed to rot.

Offline peakoftherut

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 09:50:37 PM »
Ownership of land and animals does not allow you to do whatever you want with them. I am stating this not so much as a personal opinion, but as a legal fact. Having a debate about what a person can and should be allowed to do with his livestock is not why I posted this.

I posted this because hunting as a sport is dying. Fewer people get in to hunting every year. That means less leverage can be applied to politicians when they are deciding what, when, where and how we are going to hunt. To make matters worse, people ( as in voters ) are more removed from nature every year. It used to be that most of the people in the big cities either came from a farm, or had relatives that still had farms.

Spending time in rural areas allows people a chance to see how nature works. They also get a chance to see the positive effects hunting has on hunters, their families and even the animals being hunted. We are rapidly moving in to a time where the voters know nothing about hunting, and we are too small of a group for the politicians to fear.

You might say I don't care what other people think of hunting. Well guess what, they don't care what you think either. At some point these people whose opinions you don't care about are going to decide if you can hunt or not. It will probably not affect us, but it will our kids.

If hunters are not outraged by the unethical behavior of some pretend hunters than it's just one more nail in the coffin.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »
Somewhere back up a few posts somebody suggested that if the deer is on a guy's property then its his deer and he can do what he wants with it.  I can only speak from my experience in CA, but here any animal that is normally a wild animal is not the property of the person on whose land the animal resides.  He is regarded as having "stewardship" over the animal but it is not his personal property to do with as he wishes.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2006, 06:09:39 PM »
i do not know CA's specific laws but generally speaking when animals are enclosed within that property they become the property of the owner.  Thus when you put up a high fence the deer inside of it can no longer roam off the land and they become yours.  that's why you can shoot them with no limit, season, or license...

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2006, 11:27:25 PM »
"Mr. Houston" can have spokespeople defending him till the cows come home - it's still unethical and disgusting. It makes all hunters as a group look bad. Instead of blowing off steam here, it would probably have more of an effect if we all went to his website and posted our thoughts directly to him. Better yet, don't watch his show and let the Outdoor Channel know why. I don't watch hunting shows anymore. Some try to hide the fences, some don't. They are not hunters. They are at best, shooters.