Author Topic: Old Weaver value  (Read 657 times)

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Old Weaver value
« on: March 18, 2006, 06:33:16 AM »
I am looking at a used rifle with a Weaver V4.5 scope.
The scope adjusts from 1.5X to 4.5
The scope has a very fine crosshair with a dot in the center.
How much would you add to the rifle price for this scope?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Old Weaver value
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »
Nothing.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline doorgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
Old Weaver value
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »
The old El Paso Weavers were top shelf scopes in their day, however they no longer exist, and optical performance has come a long way since they were manufactured.  If you are indeed talking about one of the older Weavers, then Bill is totally correct....The scope will add no appreciable value to the firearm.
"Walk Softly, and Carry a Large Caliber Bolt Gun!"

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Old Weaver value
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 01:16:53 PM »
I ended up buying the rifle but the scope belongs on something like a Winchester 54

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Old Weaver value
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:18:58 AM »
The old Weavers were and are very rugged scopes with "adequate" optics. The crosshair style is a problem though.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Siskiyou

Old Weaver value
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:03 AM »
A while back my brother asked about my old Weaver scope with dual cross hairs.  Back in the 50's it was an okay scope.  And it helped put meat on the table.  But it was not weather proof and it let me down in foul weather.  I bought a new Weaver for another rifle around 1970 and it has been a good scope.  But it maybe up for replacement.  A hard fall and a small dent in the bell has it shooting to the left.  The next trip to the range will involve zeroing the rifle.  If it does not hold I will replace the scope with a 2006 whatever.  I will not pull out the old Weaver and use it on a hunting rifle.

A friend had a Leupold 2.5x to 7 and I had a Weaver 2.5x to 7 Weaver.  We spent a week out hunting together.  We took the oppertunity to compare the scopes a number of times on the trip.  Of course Leupold had the magic reputation.  I spent time with the rifles in camp looking at objects near and far, and under different light conditions.  We decieded optically the Weaver was slightly better.  The big selling point for Leupold was that they were fog proof.  We did not get the chance to test that on the trip.

A hunting partner had to replace an old Weaver V9 last season.  What appears to be an enterior coating has come lose.  It was a good scope for thirty years. The old scopes do not measure-up to newer scopes.

By the 1980s the Bushnell Banner and Scope Chief optics had exceed the performance of my older Weaver Scopes.     Weaver Scopes where manufactured for a long period of time so there a number of improvements along the way.

I have a couple of Weaver Scopes manufactured over seas.  They are an improvement over the old scopes, but I have not used them enough to give a recomendation.  They are not on a goto rifle.  I feel to truely recommend a scope that has not suffer a big failure that one must subject it to twenty or thirty days of beating around the bush in all kinds of weather.  

I have to agree with the others.  I would not pay extra for it.  Comparing a Weaver scope with todays scopes is like comparing a 1950 Chevy pickup with a 2006 Chevy pickup.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Old Weaver value
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 06:38:36 AM »
If it is one of the post WWII weavers made in El Paso, there would  probably be people interested in buying it on ebay. There may be a tougher scope than those old steel tube jobs but I don't know of one. I have one that bounced about 20 feet down a talus slope on a sheep hunt. It was dented slightly but held zero in the Redfield JR mount.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Old Weaver value
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 05:30:29 PM »
I have owned more than a few Weaver scopes along with other brands.  As to holding zero I can't say my Bushnell Banners even hold a candle to the weavers and that goes for handling recoil too. Now comparing optical quality between a scope made in the 60's to even a cheapie made today well thats another story.  If I have to choose though between adequate optics and reliability or very good glass and maybe reliability i will take the first two evry time.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Old Weaver value
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 08:33:10 AM »
Out of curiosity, I looked on ebay to see what they were asking for the old Weavers. They don't bring much.