Author Topic: Remington Shotgun Slugs?  (Read 694 times)

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Remington Shotgun Slugs?
« on: April 16, 2006, 04:27:14 AM »
What is the difference between Remington's 12 gauge 2 3/4" "Managed Recoil" (RL12RS) and Remington's 12 gauge 2 3/4" "Reduced Recoil" (RR12RS) foster style lead slugs?

I can't seem to find anything on the web about this.  My curiousity is really peaked.  I have a bad shoulder and I need to consider some of these alternative styles of ammo.

Anyone know?

Offline Paul Mohr

Remington Shotgun Slugs?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 05:25:18 AM »
I only see the one listed on their website, so they may very well be the same load. I looked on midway and the "reduced recoil" loads are discontinued so I think they are the same load, just changed the name is all.

Both are 1 once slugs rated at 1200 fps. They are reduced recoil because they use less powder and have less velocity and energy. They could just as easily have called them "low velocity" loads.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Remington Shotgun Slugs?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:54:32 AM »
It appears that law enforcement and prisons use the RR12RS and hunters/target shooters use the RL12RS.  I think they are identical except for their part number.  

These loads are almost identical to any other foster slug at close range (under 35 yards).  Then they run out of horsepower at about 50 yards.  The standard slug is good for twice that for the same KE.

Under about 35 yards these won't beat you up and do the same job as their longe range counterparts (same energy up close).  If a person needs the additional 50 yards (the range between 50 to 100 yds.) then they should shoot the real Mc Coy.