Author Topic: 308 Handi Carbine  (Read 648 times)

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
308 Handi Carbine
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:43:37 AM »
I hunt deer on a farm with both open pastures and dense woods and brush. There are a number of thickets with hollows just big enough to sit in that would make great natural blinds except for one thing. Most rifles are too long to handle easily in these places. I was thinking of ordering a 308 berrel and getting it shortened and recrowned to about 18". With a high BC 150 grain bullet launched at 2500-2600fps, This should still work on up to 300 yard shots. I have found a 1.5-4.5 illuminated reticle scope that wouldfit nicely. What do you guys think?

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
308 Handi Carbine
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:00:59 AM »
goodconcretecolor

The Handi is considerably shorter than most rifles anyway and may not need shortening.  It seems futile to me to shotern a barrel for close handling and asking for long range performance from the same barrel.

If you studied the ballistics you'd most likely do better with a 165gr boattail design than a 150gr, it retains more energy downrange.

As for the scope, since shots can run farther out, I'd go with something in the 2x7 power range for the chance long shots you mentioned.  Not much difference from a 1.5 to a 2X but there is a big difference from 4x to 7x for the long shot.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:08:25 AM »
Goodconcretecolor,

Nothing wrong with the rig you're talking about!  The velocities you mentioned would give you [approx] .300 Savage performance.  Plenty for your Carolina flagtails.  Personally I prefer Leupy scopes, and their VX3 1.5X-5X is one of my favorites.  A fixed 2.5X or 4X might give plenty of magnification too.   :wink:

Question; I have a .308 Survivor that's 36 1/2 inches long - one-half inch longer than a yardstick.  Just how short do you need?

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
308 Handi Carbine
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
goodconcretecolor:
Go for it. I have a Handi SB2 in 30-30 cut to 18". Handiest Handi I have. Great for truck or brush. Muzzle blast is not as bad as some would have you believe, althought the 308's operating pressure will make for a little more noise. The shorty 308s worked very well in Remington 788s and 600/660s. Good luck with your project.

Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
308 Handi Carbine
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »
goodconcretecolor:

If your wanting to shorten a 308..bear in-mind the muzzle blast will increase some..as too the muzzle flash..most of this will depend on brand & load....You didn't say if your going to be reloading or not..but if you do..you can reload to reduce the increase somewhat..

As already noted..the Handi's are pretty short to begin with..so you may not even need to go to the expense if they will work for you as is..just for reference..my 26" Handi's are 41-1/2" long..way shorter than most bolt guns ...but if you have your mind made up...Good Luck with it and I hope it shoots good for you.. :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline youngbdv

308 Handi Carbine
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 01:41:57 PM »
The 308 handi is only 38" if you use a choate varmint stock you can get it
down to  36" , I would not cut the barrel off.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
308 Handi Carbine
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:49:04 AM »
While, my 308 handi is still the factory length, I do have and hunted alot with a Remington 600 and a Remington 7600 police (308 16 1/2 inch barrel).  I have been more than pleased with the performance of both of these rifles.  The longest shot on a deer so far has been about 175 yards (Remington 600, 3x9 Luepold, 150 grain Sierra SBT and IMR 4064 powder) which is a long shot for where I hunt the deer dropped where it stood.  The only negative I have noted is an increased muzzle blast but you really don't notice it while hunting.  The wound channels are show no real difference that I can tell from an animal shot with a 22" barrel.  Another benefit from properly shortening a barrel is accuracy is often improved due to the increased stiffness of the barrel.  They are real easy to get through the woods with and very handy in a tree stand or blind.  The handi would be only better since it would be that much shorte. You have got me thinking, let us know how your project turns out

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
308 Handi Carbine
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 06:15:03 AM »
:D  I just pi9cked up a Survivir with 22" bull and it's only 38" or so and it I cut 4" off the barrel I could put it in a Holster!! :-D Seriously it's as compact as my 760 carbne ever was and it should fit your needs perfectly. I'll be using this rifle on animals from Elk to Goats and never look back. Put a good scope Bushnell elite, Burris and u should have a great deer rig. I put a Scopechief on mine and it is a real nice rig. Enjoy. Jess
Jess