Author Topic: gun paranoia  (Read 662 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
gun paranoia
« on: April 19, 2006, 05:06:25 AM »
No gun, only a kayak paddle at L&M
By GREG SMITH
Norwich Bulletin

NEW LONDON — A man carrying a kayak paddle, and not a double barreled shotgun, likely was the cause of a lockdown Monday at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital during a search for an armed man.

Hospital officials called it “an honest mistake” when a nurse in the emergency department reported the gunman to security.

New London police officially concluded an investigation Tuesday after speaking with another employee who came forward to say he fit the description of the suspect. He was carrying a kayak paddle he had taken apart.

He re-enacted the incident Tuesday for the nurse, who agreed she was mistaken. The unnamed employee was returning the paddle to a friend.

The scare could lead to some changes in protocol, hospital President and CEO Bruce Cummings said.

“The employee did the right thing in reporting the incident,” Cummings said in a written statement. “It was a mistake anyone could have made.”

Cummings said both employees are to be commended for their “sense of ownership and teamwork.”

A debriefing of the incident has revealed ways to improve — specifically better coordination with police, Cummings said.

“We’ve learned from this one,” hospital spokesman Kelly Anthony said.

Anthony said emergency plans are in place for most conceivable scenarios — everything from germs to weapons of mass destruction. Similar security measures are in place at The William W. Backus Hospital in Norwich.

“For the most part, during normal business hours, it’s an open building to the public — all hospitals really are,” Backus Director of Security Tom Lillis said.

Backus regularly holds in-house training sessions and security drills for employees, who Lillis said are “our eyes and ears.” Employees’ involvement is modeled after the Neighborhood Watch Program.

Lillis said the procedures came into play when employees reported an infant taken from the nursing floor. Employees had reported the situation and a woman with the child was stopped before she made it out the door.

“The staff reacted immediately,” Lillis said.

Reach Greg Smith at 425-4219 or gasmith@norwichbulletin.com

Originally published April 11, 2006
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
gun paranoia
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 05:20:02 AM »
This sort of thing happens more often that we might think. I saw one in a parking ramp one time. There were cops everywhere and they eventually apprehended a Christmas shopper with something about the size of a handgun.
Safety first

Offline magooch

gun paranoia
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 03:47:50 AM »
I don't care how paranoid people get, I'm not going to register my kayak paddles.
Swingem

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
gun paranoia
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 04:59:27 AM »
It strikes me that anyone not capable of telling the difference between a boat paddle and a gun hasn't got enough sense to be allowed out in public alone.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
gun paranoia
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 11:15:48 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
It strikes me that anyone not capable of telling the difference between a boat paddle and a gun hasn't got enough sense to be allowed out in public alone.

Yep... that be the truth of the matter.
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline williamlayton

gun paranoia
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 12:30:41 AM »
Well, I guess that a boat paddle in some type of protective case could be mistaken for a shotgun case. Though I would not be concerned, on the street, I guess in a hospital a case could cause some concern---I am still wondering how though.
Now a hand-gun is another thang.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jgalar

gun paranoia
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 03:05:16 AM »
I was working the night shift at a place and decided to bring in my Steinberger bass to play during lunch. In it's soft case it looks just like an assault rifle in a case. There are cameras at the entrance so by the time I got to the floor I worked at there were a couple of armed and nervous security guards. They approached me with eyes locked on the bass guitar case and asked "Hey Jay, is everything alright dude?" I told them it was a guitar and gave them the case to look inside. They were much releaved! At the time my hair was to the middle of my back and my beard was to the middle of my chest so I looked like a cross between Jesus and Charles Manson.

Here is what a Steinberger looks like:
http://www.gibson.com/products/steinberger/