Author Topic: needing help picking out sights for lever action 22  (Read 349 times)

Offline duke21

• Trade Count: (0)
needing help picking out sights for lever action 22
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:49:09 AM »
:D   hey guys,  i realize this is kinda the scope sight here, but did not see another forum close to my questioins.    I have a ruger96/22 lever action 22 rifle.   It looks like a lever versioin of a 10/22.   i am looking to upgrade the sites on this gun.   it currently has the adjustable folding leaf rear, and the gold dot on the front.   i am really trying to stay away from the scope if i can,   i target shoot up to 100 yards,  squirrel and rabbit hunt with this gun ,and general plinking.   overall love the gun, but i think there must be some improvement somewhere with a peep or ghost ring site and some kind of better front site.   even considering the williams fire sites that glow.   I really like my levers without scopes and trying to keep from going that route.    any suggestions at all on what someone has had success with.   My dad loves to shoot with me , he is 67  and he has trouble with typical iron sites like the stock ones.   from my understanding the blurryness of looking a three things at once goes away with the peeps or ghost ring type set up.  and the glow sites seem pretty clear.   I dont have a ton of cash to blow so i cant try 4 or 5 things at the same time.

let me know wha tyou think,, sure would be appreciated

duke21 :D

Offline safari

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:19:57 AM »
I would try the Williams WGRS receiver peep sights. Brownells lists a set for the 96/22, with a firesight front and peep rear set, runs $47.95. I have peep sights on several of my lever rifles and they are very nice for older eyes, and they work fine.
Look them up on www.brownells.com, they're stock number 962-000-029.

Hope this helps-
Safari [/list][/list][/url]

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:12:29 AM »
I used the Williams Fire sight on my Win 30-30 while I had cataracts and it was very helpful. The doctors took care of the eyes since but I still use it.

Also tell your dad that if he can see the target ok, but not the front sight,  try a pair of those cheap 1X reading glasses that Wal Mart sells for around $8. That way he likely see the target just a tiny bit worse but the front sight a lot better. I found that to be a really big help

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 07:32:40 AM »
Check out XS Sights. They make a ghost ring with a front sight having either a white line post. or a tritium dot. My understanding is the post front works better for most shooting. Call 888 744 4880 and talk to Bo. He is the gunsmith at XS, and should be able to answer any questions.