Author Topic: accuracy of the new Model 94 rifles out of the box.  (Read 1022 times)

Offline coyote trapper1929

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
accuracy of the new Model 94 rifles out of the box.
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:19:26 AM »
Hi:

What is the accuracy of the new Winchester Model 94 rifles straight out of the box with just the iron sights? In 30-30 caliber.  Also, do you really need a scope if your shots are going to be under 100 yards?

Thanks,

Offline Tycer

accuracy of the new Model 94 rifles out of
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 06:34:07 PM »
excellent accuracy(not a tack driving .17 cal), but a couple of inches at 100 is doable. Scoping a 30/30 is not necessary. Peep sights like the Lyman or Williams FP are nice and look nice. All leverguns enjoy a little action smoothing. Shoot a hundred rounds through it and then smooth out the spots that show wear with a triangle stone. Wolff springs lighten the action of a 94 nicely. I can't tell much difference between the 13# and 15# springs.
Thanks to you''uns from WNC,

Tycer

There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness
                                            -Yancey Davis

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:24:17 PM »
Peep sights are indeed nice and I get better groups than using the standard iron sights. Another advantage (for us older shooters) are that peeps make it easier to focus on the target and the sight picture though a scope pretty well solves this problem.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
Peep sight on the Win
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 05:33:25 PM »
I put on the Williams peep with the micro adjustment and the fiber optic front sight and I really like it. It isn't in the way to catch brush as bad as a scope would be, and for me at least, it is a lot faster to get on the target. Plus I'm not likely to ever take a shot out past 100 yards anyway so I didn't think I needed the magnification. See if anyone at the range has that kind of a setup and will let you try it.

Offline opmech

• www.azoil.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:32:16 AM »
Even though a scope isn't necessary, if you had one installed would the rifle be capable of MOA accuracy?

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
Capable of MOA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 02:41:43 PM »
It might be occasionally, but I seriously doubt it could be done first time and every time, which is what it has to do for me to say it is MOA.
With my Swiss K31 and my Remington 30-06 I'm rather picky about the reloads, but the Winchester is only for hunting and fun so I don't work real hard on those loads. A consistent 3 or 4 inch group is fine for what I'm doing with it. Plus like Mountainview, I am fairly old, so the eyes are not all they once were.